ps3 dvd problems...can anyone help??

holbrook99

Novice Member
i am having a problem with my ps3 in regards to playing dvds!!!....when i put a dvd into the ps3, i get the dvd icon and when i click it to play, the little searching icon comes up in the corner, and then bang i get a blue screen and the ps3 no longer responds and i have no other option other than to turn the system off and then on again???

the blue screen looks the same as i get from my tv when i have selected a source, ie hdmi when nothing is connected to it???

any ideas??

thanks!!!:(

psikey

Distinguished Member
Are you connected via HDMI?

Have you ensured that 576p is selected in your PS3 display options (or Auto) as the DVD's will only play back at 576p.

If your connected via HDMI then you should ensure all the available modes for you TV are ticked in display options & Auto selected.

holbrook99

Novice Member
yeah on the ps3 i have it set to automatic, and yes im through an hdmi cable.

the display flickers and and my tv displays searching which is what it does when it changes resolution between games and the ps3 main screen etc, but then it just goes to a blue screen!!

the ps3 remote wont turn the system off and even if i eject the dvd it still stays on the blue screen the only thing i can do is switch of the system and back on again???

im realy stumped!!!

i really hope someone can help!!!

thanks again:lease:

holbrook99

Novice Member
dont know if this will help anyone but i have a 32" lexsor hdtv??
and just also thought id mention that the same dvds that im having problems with, HAVE worked ok before!!!!and no settings have been changed!!

holbrook99

Novice Member
would i be right in thinking nobody can help???? or am i being impatient, if i am please accept my apologies but im really at my wits end with the kids nagging to watch dvds!!!:(

psikey

Distinguished Member
would i be right in thinking nobody can help???? or am i being impatient, if i am please accept my apologies but im really at my wits end with the kids nagging to watch dvds!!!:(
I'm at a loss after my last reply. Just out of curiosity, have you tried seeing if a DVD will play connected via the supplied composite cable over SCART?

That should rule out HDMI compatibility issues and to me would start to point to a fault with your PS3. Trying it on another TV such as a portable via the composite cable may also help to narrow down the problem.

PS, It is a UK machine I take it.

holbrook99

Novice Member
:confused: :( :rolleyes: :lease: well ill try connecting it to tv through the scart tommorow and update this thread with the result!!! the same dvds im trying to play didnt work when i first got my ps3, and then all of a sudden they were working and now they are not, im really 50/50 at the moment wether its my tv or my ps3!!!

maybe nothing to do with it but today for no reason my tv just lost all power and wouldnt react to anything, i had to switch of at the mains for a few seconds and then back on to get it to work ok!!!!( i was playing ps3 at the time?)

cjpaul

Novice Member
I think you need to select 'Display Settings' and then 'Manual'. When I select 'Automatic' it only picks up the HD resolutions; by selecting 'Manual' standard def. resolutions become available. This is what I had to do to watch DVDs.

russw

Standard Member
I solved a similar problem on my setup by unticking 1080i as a display option on the ps3 setup. Beforehand, I had got a "no signal" on the screen as soon as I started playing a PAL DVD (NTSC DVD's were fine). After removing 1080i as an option (and leaving just 576p and 720p ticked), DVD's played fine. This obviously isn't the ideal solution, as it means if you try and play a blu ray film, it gets downscaled to 576p, as the ps3 doesn't currently support 720p for blu-ray. (So I will have to tick 1080i again when i want to play a blu-ray).
Hope this solution works for you.
(by the way, my tv is a LG)

holbrook99

Novice Member
yeah thats exactly what i had to do, which i agree is far from ideal, do you know why we have to do this? and does anyone know any other way around it???

now ive unticked 1080i dvds work fine, but will 1080i games now play at a lower resolution???

Moogle

Novice Member
yeah thats exactly what i had to do, which i agree is far from ideal, do you know why we have to do this? and does anyone know any other way around it???

now ive unticked 1080i dvds work fine, but will 1080i games now play at a lower resolution???
0p

There are no games that are specifically 1080i. Games are either 1080p or 720p. Therefore if you unticked 1090i then the games that support 1080p will play in 720p. TBH most PS3 games are 720p and only a handful support 1080p anyway. Furthermore games are better played in progressive mode anyway.

slackbladder

Just to add I've not had an issue with this myself. Using HDMI and when playing DVD I have no problem. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the TVs people are using. My settings are at automatic for virtually everything and I've not had any issues.
Those who have had this problem what TVs are you using?

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
Just to add I've not had an issue with this myself. Using HDMI and when playing DVD I have no problem. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the TVs people are using. My settings are at automatic for virtually everything and I've not had any isuues.
Those who have had this problem what TVs are you using?
I'm thinking the same thing, i have the LG 32LC2D and using HDMI have everthing on Auto and it plays spot on no problems with anything.

russw

Standard Member
I've just applied firmware 1.7 and I can now play DVD's without having to untick the 1080i option on the ps3 display settings.

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
0p

There are no games that are specifically 1080i. Games are either 1080p or 720p. Therefore if you unticked 1090i then the games that support 1080p will play in 720p. TBH most PS3 games are 720p and only a handful support 1080p anyway. Furthermore games are better played in progressive mode anyway.
Ridge racer does run in true 1080i it says so on the box, the GT HD demo also plays in 1080i so not all games are 720p or 1080p downscaling.

Moogle

Novice Member
Ridge racer does run in true 1080i it says so on the box, the GT HD demo also plays in 1080i so not all games are 720p or 1080p downscaling.
I was just trying to keep it simple as possible.

MikeNolan

Novice Member
I've also experienced the same problem of not being able to play normal dvd's. However, my PS3 is linked to a Samsung PC monitor via DVI (1680x1200). Once I unchecked the 1080p option, I lost the usual Sony menu options. I could only play games. Had to unplug everything but the monitor, and switch back on to do a reset. Obvioulsy the PC monitor is a fixed setting unless it gets changed via my PC Video card.

tnt1018

Standard Member
I have a new PS3 120 slimline I am having problems with playing DVD+R burned movies. They start up and ply fine for about 45 mins to 1hr then just freeze and stop. Any help would be great. Thanks

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
try better quality discs, a slower burn speed, make sure discs are clean, even try DVD-R, etc,etc,etc...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett