PS3 DVD help req???

hd71

Standard Member
Hi folks, just got a PS3 80GB for my birthday pressie, now i need some info/advice. I currently have a Phillips LCD tv that is 1080 capable and i have a Toshiba HDMI upscaling DVD player plugged into it via HDMI , my question is.....the PS3 is a DVD/Blu ray player how does it perform against a purpose built DVD player like my current player?. Will the PS3 out perform it?.

I only ask as i like my techy stuff to be uncluttered and minimal and if the PS3 does the DVD thing well, there is no point in keeping my DVD player and i will leave the PS3 as the main player.

Any info gratefully received.

The PS3 will probably out perform it. It out performs most Upscalers, but I don't know how good your model is.

hd71

Standard Member
The PS3 will probably out perform it. It out performs most Upscalers, but I don't know how good your model is.
My DVD player is...........Toshiba SD-480E if that helps, not an expensive model.

Will it be harmful to use the PS3 as the main media player?

Last edited:

Alphathon

Novice Member
What do you meen by harmful? It's not going to damage anything by using it as such. I suppose it might shorten the lifespan of the PS3 a little, but then so does using it for anything else - just like with all hardware (especially with moving parts like the disc drive and hard drive) the more you use it the more ware it takes. I wouldn't worry about it dying just becaues you use it as a media player as well as a game machine though. Heck, it was designed as much as a media center as a console (something which is both a benefit and a hinderance to sales)

My DVD player is...........Toshiba SD-480E if that helps, not an expensive model.

You have both sitting right there, so it should be quick and easy to do a comparison of the picture quality. My DVD upscaler is the Sony HXD 770, and the PS3 totally outperforms it. It also outperforms the upscaling in my TV.

sp_harris

Is your current DVD player multi-region? as your PS3 will only play single region - I guess yours is a UK PS3 model so European DVD's. Where as stand alone DVD players can be hacked to play all regions DVD's.

hd71

Standard Member
Well it seems from a trial that the PS3 does indeed outperform my upscaler DVD player, can't wait to try the Blu Ray at some point.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom