PS3 - DTS-HD - Dolby TrueHD - Bitstream - LPCM

Zaphod1966

Standard Member
Will the Sony PS3 ever be able to output the DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD audio signals as a bitstream via HDMI?

I have the PS3 and a Yamaha RX-V1800 AV Amplifier that supports 7.1 DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD via HDMI v1.3.

What is the most optimum settings I should have on the PS3 so I get the best sound from my system?

HDMI or Optical?
Bitstream or Linear PCM?

joeydavies

Will the Sony PS3 ever be able to output the DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD audio signals as a bitstream via HDMI?

I have the PS3 and a Yamaha RX-V1800 AV Amplifier that supports 7.1 DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD via HDMI v1.3.

What is the most optimum settings I should have on the PS3 so I get the best sound from my system?

HDMI or Optical?
Bitstream or Linear PCM?

Use HDMI with Linear PCM :thumbsup:. That way the PS3 does all the decoding and passes the HD Audio to your amp as Linear PCM (Just as good as Bitstream). Unfortunately due to hardware limitations in the HDMI chip the PS3 uses it is very unlikely that we will ever see Bitstream support for the HD Audio Codecs. I'm in the same position as you, I've got a Onkyo 605 and considering I paid all that money I want my Dolby True HD and DTS-MA icon to light up! :mad:

Only option is to buy a standalone Blu-Ray machine that supports Bitstream Out e.g. Panasonic BD-30.

Cheers Joe

Rich6826

My understanding is that to get the best currently, you will need to use HDMI (greater bandwith than optical), and LPCM (as bitsream will not use the HD sound formats).

I watched I am Legend, on Bluray, the other night, and to get the Dolby True HD output (as displayed in the PS3's info bar) it had to be set to LPCM. The amp then received a "multi channel" signal that was True HD. Set to bitstream, it would only send Dolby Digital to the amp, regardless of the soundtrack I selected on the disk.

I don't know if the PS3 will output the HD sound formats via bitstream later or not...

Zaphod1966

Standard Member
Use HDMI with Linear PCM :thumbsup:. That way the PS3 does all the decoding and passes the HD Audio to your amp as Linear PCM (Just as good as Bitstream). Unfortunately due to hardware limitations in the HDMI chip the PS3 uses it is very unlikely that we will ever see Bitstream support for the HD Audio Codecs. I'm in the same position as you, I've got a Onkyo 605 and considering I paid all that money I want my Dolby True HD and DTS-MA icon to light up! :mad:

Only option is to buy a standalone Blu-Ray machine that supports Bitstream Out e.g. Panasonic BD-30.

Cheers Joe

Has anybody heard (or seen the icons display) 7.1 channels of HD Sound from the PS3 via LPCM?

Will the PS3 output 7.1 DTS-HD and 7.1 Dolby TrueHD via LPCM or does it downmix the 7.1 channels to 5.1 :confused:

Zaphod1966

Standard Member
My understanding is that to get the best currently, you will need to use HDMI (greater bandwith than optical), and LPCM (as bitsream will not use the HD sound formats).

I watched I am Legend, on Bluray, the other night, and to get the Dolby True HD output (as displayed in the PS3's info bar) it had to be set to LPCM. The amp then received a "multi channel" signal that was True HD. Set to bitstream, it would only send Dolby Digital to the amp, regardless of the soundtrack I selected on the disk.

I don't know if the PS3 will output the HD sound formats via bitstream later or not...

I've now set the PS3 to LPCM via HDMI and it is sounding great. The PS3 is also informing me that the audio output is Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Ch. 48 kHz 5 Mbps.

joeydavies

Yes the PS3 will output DTS-MA audio as Linear PCM. Make sure your firmware is up to date v2.30 and set BD Audio output to Linear PCM.

rbj

I have a Onkyo 605 as well, I was always told that Bitstream is best to have it set to on the PS3 as then the Amp then does the processing, Is it best for games to have it set to Linear PCM instead then ?

Simba

Distinguished Member
hi there dont mean to hi jack the thread or anything but just to ask a related question..

my amp doesnt support HD auido formats, but i do have it set to LPCM - if the movie is playing an HD audio track say dolby true hd, am i still getting the audio track output in HD or is it being downsampled...is LPCM simply a passthrough for audio processed by the PS3?

thanks,
simba

You were missed informed mate :smashin:

Set to bitstream if playing say a DVD with a DD or "standard" DTS track...this will then go to the amp for processing.

Select LPCM (and deselect bitsream) if you wish to play a True HD or DTS-MA track..that way the PS3 will decode and send as multi channel PCM.

I have a Onkyo 605 as well, I was always told that Bitstream is best to have it set to on the PS3 as then the Amp then does the processing, Is it best for games to have it set to Linear PCM instead then ?

rbj

Thanks, But when playing games what is best to select ? Bitstream or Lenear PCM ? and whats the difference ?

joeydavies

Thanks, But when playing games what is best to select ? Bitstream or Lenear PCM ?

The PS3 in my opinion should be set to Linear PCM for everything except Standard Definition DVD. As I like my Amp to show me what audio stream is playing.

joeydavies

hi there dont mean to hi jack the thread or anything but just to ask a related question..

my amp doesnt support HD auido formats, but i do have it set to LPCM - if the movie is playing an HD audio track say dolby true hd, am i still getting the audio track output in HD or is it being downsampled...is LPCM simply a passthrough for audio processed by the PS3?

thanks,
simba

That’s a tricky one. As long as you've set the PS3 to Linear PCM when watching a Blu-Ray movie the PS3 will decode both HD Audio formats (Dolby True-HD and DTS-MA) and send them to your amp as uncompressed Linear PCM. This decoded stream is no different to a Bitstream output of an non-decoded HD Audio codec, the only difference is what machine decodes the audio, the player or the amp.

Due to bandwidth limitations of optical/coaxial you will not receive the full decoded linear PCM stream unless you use HDMI. If you have an amp with HDMI support and your PS3 set to Linear PCM you will be hearing the full HD Audio.

As a rule of thumb

Using Coaxial/Optical, set your PS3 to Bitstream. This will send all audio as un-decoded "packaged" audio to your amp. Your amp will process the audio and output to your speakers.

Using HDMI, set your PS3 to Linear PCM. The PS3 will decode "un-package" all audio formats to Linear PCM to your Amp. Your amp will not process anything and will purely "pass-through" each channel to its respective speaker. Some people will change the audio output setting to Bitstream for standard DVD there is minimal to no difference in sound quality by doing this. Its is purely an argument of what machine decodes audio best your £400 PS3 or your £xxx amp.

I hope this clears things up

D

dazzarooney

where are you finding on the ps3 what audio its sending out..i have all the options ticked and going to my amp pcm via hdmi..i have a sony dgstr910..the display on the amp only says pcm 48..so not actually sure what the ps3 is outputting

merlincoops

where are you finding on the ps3 what audio its sending out..i have all the options ticked and going to my amp pcm via hdmi..i have a sony dgstr910..the display on the amp only says pcm 48..so not actually sure what the ps3 is outputting

Whilst playing a bd movie press select on the controller all info will be displayed on screen whilst the film plays (audio output in top right corner). Or pause press triangle for menu then middle row far right is info click and the above will appear.
Make sure to select the correct hd audio output in setup menu. Sound output will be lpcm (don't worry this is very high quality).

Simba

Distinguished Member
thanks mate thats bang on with what i thought. :)

That’s a tricky one. As long as you've set the PS3 to Linear PCM when watching a Blu-Ray movie the PS3 will decode both HD Audio formats (Dolby True-HD and DTS-MA) and send them to your amp as uncompressed Linear PCM. This decoded stream is no different to a Bitstream output of an non-decoded HD Audio codec, the only difference is what machine decodes the audio, the player or the amp.

Due to bandwidth limitations of optical/coaxial you will not receive the full decoded linear PCM stream unless you use HDMI. If you have an amp with HDMI support and your PS3 set to Linear PCM you will be hearing the full HD Audio.

As a rule of thumb

Using Coaxial/Optical, set your PS3 to Bitstream. This will send all audio as un-decoded "packaged" audio to your amp. Your amp will process the audio and output to your speakers.

Using HDMI, set your PS3 to Linear PCM. The PS3 will decode "un-package" all audio formats to Linear PCM to your Amp. Your amp will not process anything and will purely "pass-through" each channel to its respective speaker. Some people will change the audio output setting to Bitstream for standard DVD there is minimal to no difference in sound quality by doing this. Its is purely an argument of what machine decodes audio best your £400 PS3 or your £xxx amp.

I hope this clears things up

blisteringblue

I leave mine permanently set to LPCM.

So do I, OK my amp only ever shows Multi-Channel Audio but a quick press of the PS3 display shows you extactly what you have. I love cycling through the audio tracks on a BD Disk when you can instantly hear the difference in the tracks :D

I know it's personal preference and the like but I just don't understand people paying hundreds of pounds just to have the TrueHD light showing on their AMP. I'm listening to the same sound for a fraction of the price.

So do I, OK my amp only ever shows Multi-Channel Audio but a quick press of the PS3 display shows you extactly what you have. I love cycling through the audio tracks on a BD Disk when you can instantly hear the difference in the tracks :D

I know it's personal preference and the like but I just don't understand people paying hundreds of pounds just to have the TrueHD light showing on their AMP. I'm listening to the same sound for a fraction of the price.

Reading through this thread has finally explained to me why optical is better through Bitstream. Bitstream is a smaller file, and therefore passes more information through the optical cable.. (better sound). LCPM is like a rar that has been uncompacted.. it is now a much bigger file, and not all of the information can pass down the optical cable, so you have reduced sound quality.

Is that right?

joeydavies

Reading through this thread has finally explained to me why optical is better through Bitstream. Bitstream is a smaller file, and therefore passes more information through the optical cable.. (better sound). LCPM is like a rar that has been uncompacted.. it is now a much bigger file, and not all of the information can pass down the optical cable, so you have reduced sound quality.

Is that right?

HD audio codecs seem to be causing some confusion. Blu-Ray's usually contain one of 3 types of audio. The lossless codecs, Dolby True HD and DTS-MA or raw audio in the form of LPCM (yes some blu-ray's come with LPCM). The only difference between the 3 are the number of bits. LPCM by rule of thumb use far more bits that the "packaged" Dolby True-HD or DTS-MA. The same 2 hour movie with a 16/24, 5.1 sound track requires 4.14 GB with LPCM vs 1.26 GB for either TrueHD or DTS HD(MA). However when your PS3 unpackages a DTS-MA track to LPCM it can end up much larger than LPCM straight from the disc, (can someone confirm this)! Just look at the transfer rate (especially on DTS-MA) on your PS3 when watching a blu-ray next (press select)

To answer Pincho Paxton comment. If using an optical cable neither of the 3 HD audio formats will be transfered to your amp. The bandwidth required to transport a HD audio codec (even a lossless compressed coded like True-HD) is too great for a optical cable, only HDMI can achieve this.

If we are strictly talking about standard definition DVD's it could be argued that Bitstream is advantageous via optical. This passes a smaller file through the cable to your amp where it is decoded. Baring in mind standard definition codecs are not compressed in a way that deems them "lossless" which is why Blu-Ray (HD) sound is superior.

The reason why having Bitstream out on Blu-Ray discs is not really a massive issue is because the "packaged" True-HD and DTS-MA streams are packaged or compressed in a way that makes them lossless i.e. no loss of quality.

joeydavies

Somebody has just posted in the 'All In One Forum' that a HDMI cable cannot carry LPCM HD sound, and 1080p at the same time. I don't think it is true.. can anyone confirm this?

I highly doubt this, most (if not all) Sony Pictures Blu-Ray Discs I own are encoded with LPCM and 1080p video. So this cannot be true.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 12th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Bluesound unveils new generation of Node and Powernode audio players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim launches Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sennheiser announces flagship IE 900 earphones