PS3 dream 'shattered'

Drew2

Established Member
Reaction score
With my recent experience of connecting a Sony DVD recorders HDMI output to my Panasonic TH-AE500 projector via a HDMI-DVI cable, I have had my PS3 purchase plan 'wrecked'! :mad:

The recorder wouldn't send the proper "handshake" to my PJ and I couldn't display digital 1080i (TV broadcast)and the DVD playback wouldn't upconvert to 720p/1080i. :eek:
When I queried Sony about it they blamed it on the PJ not being HDCP compliant - it is! :mad: I have now confirmed this by connecting a Panasonic DVD recorder with the HDMI-DVI cable and everything is working fine. :smashin: I therefor believe that the PS3 "handshake" will also not be compatible with my PJ :thumbsdow , I have asked Sony to make it backward compatible with older (2yrs) display units especially ones with DVI-D terminals but as yet I have had no reply! :(

I would also assume users of Sanyo Z2 and Epson TW200 will also suffer from the same problem (same chipset) but indeed it might extend further with other DVI-D equipped PJs and Flat panel displays....who knows? :eek:

The other revelation was when I phoned Panasonic about an issue with their recorder and they promptly told me that "The DMR-EX100 can not be connected to the TH-AE500 by HDMI-DVI". I had to convince them that I was currently watching "gorgeous" HD digital broadcasts, this prompted a reply of "Panasonic can not guarantee this connection" so even they believe that the "handshake" isn't possible through this setup - thankfully it does!! :rolleyes:

So it just goes to show that yet another line of products were made with no intention of supporting them ie. DVI-D

Oh-well, what will I buy instead! :boring:

Jwarl said:
Try an Xbox 360 :)

As soon as they make XP pro FREE!!

Long live Linux :devil:

Drew2 said:

What's the price of XP got to do with what console you buy. :rolleyes: Besides, I don't see Sony giving away any of their products for FREE :rolleyes: .

The 360 will work fine on your PJ and will output 720p and 1080i nicely via component - or VGA if you prefer. :thumbsup:

Drew2 said:

What's the price of XP got to do with what console you buy. :rolleyes: Besides, I don't see Sony giving away any of their products for FREE :rolleyes: .

The 360 will work fine on your PJ and will output 720p and 1080i nicely via component - or VGA if you prefer. :thumbsup:

Im also a bit worried about this whole "handshake" business.
I have a Fujitsu 42" plasma with HDCP DVI-D.

It better work, otherwise its going back to fujitsu!

So far I havent had any problems. Ive managed to get my Denon 3910 to work with it through DVI-D with HDCP.

Things might be different with future products though.

CAS FAN said:

And why do we have fanboys that sit on either side of the fence?

They both make good machines, they both have exclusive titles which basically forces the games buyer to get both... and hell if you can afford an expensive home cinema setup, I'm sure anyone could afford a few consoles.

RyanR84 said:
And why do we have fanboys that sit on either side of the fence?

They both make good machines, they both have exclusive titles which basically forces the games buyer to get both... and hell if you can afford an expensive home cinema setup, I'm sure anyone could afford a few consoles.

Exactly, personally I can't see the need for fanboy behaviour. At the moment i'm more excited about the 360 as i'm (hopefully - stock depending) getting one in a few weeks time. Come mid to late 2006 i'll probably be excited to see the PS3 come out and get one of those. Can't say i'm excited about the PS3 yet though as it's still a while off and i've not seen any games running on it yet. Also with the 360 to look forward to i'm just focused on that ATM.

Don't forget that there will be 3 next gen consoles as well and i'm really looking forward to seeing the Revo and it's new controller in action. :smashin:

CAS FAN said:

1st. I kinda gotta "chicken bone" in my throat about Microsoft especially after downloading Mandriva for free and seeing how much software came with it! Also when I got XP home it became exclusive to me so when I moved onto Pro I couldn't sell the previous version on - and no mention of a refund on it! Talk about "milking the cow" my 'udders' are getting sore! :eek:

2nd. The next game console I get (regardless of maker - ain't no "fanboy"), I want to hook up digitally - I am bringing my analogue days to an end. I would happily have all the next gen consoles if they had the right output! ;)

There have been roumors of HDMI and DVI cables coming out for the 360. According to MS it is possible to conect the 360 with a digital cable.
Just wait for 3rd party peripheral makers to bring something out.

Drew2 said:
2nd. The next game console I get (regardless of maker - ain't no "fanboy"), I want to hook up digitally - I am bringing my analogue days to an end. I would happily have all the next gen consoles if they had the right output! ;)

Surely it's about the quality of the games rather than what output the console has ? :confused:

How many times have people chucked away their old consoles and regretted it later on ? :D

I find Nintendos new console the most interesting of the lot. As always Nintendo are innovating whilst everyone else just jumps on the bandwagon. :rolleyes: Nintendo do tend to match "NEW" innovated games with "NEW" console/handset designs that the industry needs For inspiration. But Sony and Microsoft do tend to rest on their laurels abit to much for my liking.

Obviously the general public will be drawn into the commercial sector and plump for the main two again. The Xbox 360 does look the more exciting in my view. :cool:

However I think this could be the last chance saloon for Nintendo in producing a successful main console, or they will follow in the footsteps of Sega. The only thing that's saved them in the past was the success of the Gameboy franchize. :)

Sure the quality of the games have to have a priority - it's whats governed my decisions in the past, but digital connection is now also in that equation!

I started of with a Saga for 'Sonic' , 'Toejam & Earl' & 'Marble madness' then onto Nintendo for '007' , 'Zelda' & 'PGA golf' next was PS2 for more 'Bond', WRC, MotoGP and general shoot'em ups like 'MOH'. So the first machine that offers a dynamite 'Bond' game (Rogue agent - total pants!) or driving sim with digital out will win the day for me. Everything else is secondary......

I was also hoping that the PS3 would act as a HDMI hub with it having twin ports, and I am sure that 'Spike' and 'Namco' will still produce top quality games for this unit

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom