PS3 Doing nothing

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by jazz lang, Sep 16, 2007.

1. mminghella

mminghella
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I agree with you to some extent jazz lang. However, I like the PS3 and I'm prepared to wait until more "quality" games come out.

The lure of the 360's achievements will still lead me towards playing it, but I really do like the PS3

2. runam0k

runam0k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Anyone seen the Heavenly Sword ad on TV/at the cinema?

I have nothing against the game but all the This Is Living stuff is hilarious. Reminds me of the old Emotion Engine marketing back in the day.

3. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Blu Ray and Warhawk are enough for me at the moment. To be totally honest, Warhawk beats the pants off any of my multiplayer 360 games.

I'm totally addicted to it.

4. stoomc

stoomc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    Have to agree with that. Warhawk is superb (except for them needing to get the stats sorted) "Sony has a terrible online"...pfft, I certainly dont think so.

5. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    Is Warhawk out on disc yet? I'm loth to pay that kind of money for something when i don't have a permanent copy (i also trade in most of my games).

As for Sony's online, i think half the criticism simply comes from the lack of content on the UK store. There was a discussion on the 360 forums recently about how Live could be improved. Many felt that a better system could be implemented to match players of a similar skill level. If Sony continue to release firmware updates and improve the various aspects of their online experience they could actually steal a march on Microsoft by implementing such things first.

Home has already shown that they are capable of leading and not just following in the online arena so i'm hopeful.

6. mwjdavies

mwjdavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48

Friday this week I think :thumbsup:

7. mwjdavies

mwjdavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I dont have a 360 or wii.
    (Considering 360 but have my doubts, but thats for another thread elsewhere!)

However on the PS3 front Im a happy chappy! :clap:
    The misses plays the downloaded stuff like Go Puzzle, Rub a Dub, Super Street Fighter puzzle watever its called, & Crash Bandicoot etc.
    I have Motorstorm (excellent online play), F1, & Virtua tennis to keep me occupied. And with the likes of PES (Potentialy) Army of Two, Half Life Orange Box, and Lttle Big Planet amont those im keping an eye out for, just on the games front im happy! :D

I also think it is an exellent DVD upscaler, great for blue rays (just need prices to come down on them damn discs!) & it does also get used for lots of the little things too! Photo viewer, music, wifi connected to my lappy, messaging friend etc etc. I really do think i make the most of my PS3, and have actually considered getting another PS3 for the bedroom, never mind ditching the first lol :rotfl:

8. Kube

Kube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    My PS3 hasnt been turned on in weeks. Im prepared to give it a bit of time to improve game wise as TBH i couldnt really care less about the media functions (blu ray exempt).

9. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    Well, I was just about to pick up my 5th 360 as the previous 4 had 3 ROD and DVD drive issues but I decided I had just had enough of the hassle. The 360 is a good machine with some great games but it has all the build quality of a 1980's Fiat. So I decided to trade in some of stuff and pick up a Ps3 (which cost me £7 in the end). This, for me is a gamble as I had such a laugh with the AVF guys on Gears of War, Rainbow 6 Vegas et al. I also loved the acheivements and some of the functionality of XBL such as the friends lists etc. Plus I'm used to the 360 controller which is (ironically) built much better than the sixaxis (which feels light and flimsy as do the triggers).

But my experience of PSN is pretty good with Warhawk and its a good job there are some more games coming out soon (hopefully). However, Warhawk is amazing fun, Resistance seems pretty good as does Motorstorm. Pickd up Rainbow Six Vegas for some on line action too. So I'm pretty happy at the moment but just a little anxious that the games pencilled in for the next 6 weeks actually turn up on time.

10. jase4772

jase4772

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I bought mine just after launch after seeing MotorStorm and thinking "wow the rest of the games will be great". But since getting the console with Ridge Racer and MotorStorm I've only downloaded stuff from the Store and barely played the 2 games I've got.

However whilst I don't use it as much as I should I don't regret getting it and I'm keen to play Gran Turismo (whenever any version comes out) along with Tekken6 and Sega Rally.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I couldn't justify buying one as an early adopter, will probably get one eventually, when hopefully there will be a good library of games. It will do double duty then for the odd Blu Ray film, especially if HD DVD takes over, there's still the odd Sony movie to watch, and hell will freeze over before Sony goes dual format, LOL!

12. Golf_turbo

Golf_turbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Mine sitting about doinf sweet F A! I'm buying an Elite on Friday! I didn't regret selling my 360 but now BioShock and Halo3 is round the corner and PS3 is still not delivering games to this standard I have to cave in.

Also, getting annoyed a demo of a game comes out on PS3 while in the meantime you can buy the full game on the 360 (Dirt, Randow6, Strangehold etC)

:mad:

13. HRL

HRL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Once downloaded it's always available via your PSN account to redownload for free if you ever need to. Same applies for all PSN purchased goods.

Obviously you can't trade it in but for £20 I don't think you can go wrong.

Cracking game. :smashin:

14. Golf_turbo

Golf_turbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    PS3 is a cracking console, but lack of games is beyond a joke now. I couldn't take it and caved in:

15. Golf_turbo

Golf_turbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Forgot to upload pics lol

Attached Files:

16. THE GFP

THE GFP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    exactly the same problem here as the OP

i LOVE playstation and am the opposite for xbox

BUT

got my pS3 on launch day and still love it now but have 8 games and ended up only playing FOM online

then the 360 elite came out and i bought it as i saw flatout ultimate carnage and loved my days of destruction derby ect

so picked up the new 360 + 5 games for just onder £500

and since the release day of the elite i have not played the ps3 at all ever

and just like the OP i use my PS3 for playing dvd's & showing off blu-ray

its so sad that the PS3 is the better machine but has nothin i like to play on it

but im still a PS3 man and not a XBOX person even though im loving flat out & forza 2

the main problem with the 360 is

no wireless lan
    no free online gaming
    no internet surfing
    no bluetooth
    no HD dvd of any kind
    large cumbersome controllers
    sound slike a hover craft
    the online thing is not a patch on the PS3's version

but where it has 1 thing and 1 thing only thats better is the games and as they are both games machines thats bad

but i keep telling my friends who have a dig as i own the 360 that its been out more than a year longer than the PS3 so give it a year and im sure it will have a great range of games

its like in the old days

amiga v st
    snes v megadrive
    dreamcast v playstation 1 v n64
    commodore 64 v spectrum 48k
    xbox v playstation 2

its all just personal choice

17. mwjdavies

mwjdavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Exactly! Good point well made.:smashin:

You list the reasons why so far I havent bought a xbox 360. Im not knocking it. There isnt a arguement that can be put forward to say that the xbox doesnt have a better (at least at this point) selection of games, however, I do use my PS3 for all the other uses you mention.
    As you say all about personal choice. At the min mine is PS3, and Im very happy with it.

18. D@Z

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Is this serious or a wind up??

It has a wireless LAN adaptor!
    It costs 50p a week for a TOP QUALITY service, lagfree!!
    Its a games console, surely you have a PC for surfing the internet??
    True, but what use it is it?
    It has a HD-DVD player!!
    Hardly any bigger than the PS3 5axis but built better and infineitly better all round.
    FRACTIONALLY noiser than the PS3 but who really cares??

And the best yet 'the online thing is not a patch on the PS3's version' :rotfl: I'm not even going to bother addressing this one!!

Both consoles have good and bad points. 360 is for today, PS3 is for tomorrow (at least thats what we have been getting told for the past year). I'm all for debating facts but almost all your 'facts' above are just plain wrong.

19. iddqd

iddqd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I think i've ranted about how much a ripoff Xbox Live actually is before.

Xbox Live isn't a top quality service, you're paying for peer to peer gaming. They've been able to get away with it for so long, but now PSN is out, along with Steam Community, they will not be able to keep that subscription fee as time goes on.

PSN already offers more dedicated servers for its games, as will Steam Community (TF2 will) all for free.

Xbox Live isn't lag free, its down to whether the average Joe host you are connecting to is on a decent line or not. I have had many games suffer from lag - Rockstar Table Tennis, Saints Row, Gears, PES6 to name a few. I know the usual replies 'I've never had lag on Xbox Live maybe its your connection' will arise, but I've heard it all before, its purely anecdotal, just like people's assumption of PSN being laggy down to its games that use peer to peer gaming also.

The fact is, PSN already offers more dedicated servers than XBL does, please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Halo 3 the first game to use dedicated servers?

So people that dismiss PSN so quickly really need to look again at what it actually provides for free.

What Xbox Live does have, is all the integrated Friends management, stat tracking, if people are happy about paying a subscription fee for that, then that's up to them. However, Steam Community pretty much does all that now, and will improve upon, and its only a matter of time before PSN follow's suit.

The saying "You get what you pay for" really doesn't stand strong when comparing it to Xbox Live in my opinion.

20. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    I'm fairly sure Fight Night used dedicated servers as i remember reading that EA were going to stop using them as too few people were playing the game now. Does anyone else remember this?

21. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    the wireless adaptor costs around £50-£60,and at that price,is a blatant rip-off.
    xbox live is most definately NOT lag free.
    the hd-dvd player is incomplete,as is,and is about to be replaced by a new model,according to news reports.
    and fractionally noisier than the ps3..you are joking right,the xbox 360 is so much louder,than the ps3(louder in some cases,quieter in others depending on what model ps3,you have).

22. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    THE GFP - to respond to your points...

no wireless lan -yes there is with the adaptor - not including it as standard keeps the cost down for those who don't need it and those who do can invest in the adaptor.

no free online gaming -but Live is leagues ahead of Sony's offering with a persistant service. Also demo's etc. come out first on Live.

no internet surfing - True, but my PS3 & Wii have this and it never gets used as I have a laptop & PC for that.

no bluetooth - can't see why this is required to be honest.

no HD DVD of any kind -Again MS offer the gamer choice meaning that gamers do not have to invest in a player that they don't need. Those who want it can invest in a player to get the functionality.

large cumbersome controllers - the 360 controller is a plus point and is so much better than the PS3's in so many ways. It's made for western hands, not small Japanese hands, the sticks are better placed, it's more comfortable to hold, it's got a decent weight to it and it has rumble, which is essential IMO.

Sounds like a hover craft - mine isn't that bad, but my PS3 is quieter and I prefer to watch films on the PS3. IMO this is the only real 360 negative in your list.

The online thing is not a patch on the PS3's version - This must be a joke as Live is better than the PSN in every conceivable way. No more need be said here. :)

23. THE GFP

THE GFP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    some very good points there but let me clear a few points up

i did know you can buy a wireless LAN but at £50 id rather just use an ethernet cable where as the ps3, wii, psp & ds have one built in!

i said that the online on ps3 is better than xbox live but that is my personal choice but must say i like the "gamers score" thing where you get points and they all add up this is very clever

HD DVD, again not included and for the money id paid id expect HDMI, WIRELESS & HD DVD o some kind and would have been nice to have a HD DVD as there are som many title not coming out on blu-ray

LAG ! are you joking, ive payed forza 2 a few times and ive had cars jump/warp/lag ect all the time and ive got a 6 mb bt connection so its not me

the controller problem is as ive been used to the playstation ones over the years and find every time i rest the beast on my knee it falls off and i dont like having to plug the haedphone sinto the controller

surfing the net, well i use the pc and my 9 year old uses the wii quiet often as aparantly stardol.com looks fab on a 40" screen!

finall the noise, there is a thread on here about ps3 noise so there seems to be an issue with some but mine is neigh on silent where as the 360 is so loud the cats avoid it in fear of being sucked in !

BUT

games wise the 360 is fantastic and ive no problem with that and thats down to the time its been out as i had a 360 premium when they 1st came out and sold it after 6 months as it had no games that i liked (much like the ps3 now)

im just happy that ive got the 3 machines to play and im never short of a game to play

24. Mec

Mec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    To pick up your points.

You don't have to pay £50 for the official adaptor, it will work with third party access points no problem. Also the problem with the built in wireless on the ps3 is that the signal is very poor. My router is in another room and while my PC, laptop, Wii and 360 connect fine, the ps3 struggles to get a signal.

To expect HD DVD and wifi built in to a console for which you only paid £280 (including a game or two) is unreasonable. My ps3 cost me £125 more. HDMI I'd agree with but that is now being fitted to the new premiums which retail for £250.
    The 360 can also play WMV-HD with surround sound, while the PS3 is limited to two channel MP4.

As for lag in games, well that can be a problem on any platform at the end of the day, from PC to 360. I have experienced it on EVERY platform. It can also depend on how well the game is written as well. On a Virgin 20 meg connection by the way, which when tested gives me 18 meg. More important, especially when hosting, is the upload speed and mine is 700+

The controller you prefer is down to personnel taste, myself it's the 360 one followed by the dreamcast. The dual shock was ahead of the game when it first came out on the PS1 but now with the addition of analogue sticks and triggers the layout needs rethinking. The left stick is too far back for me and when used in combination with the triggers causes me to get finger clamps. Not generally a problem with racing games as I just end up using the d-pad but on things like the Stranglehold demo this is not possible. I'm hoping I can get along with the control layout in Haze.

The browser in the ps3 is never used in my house. Normally use my laptop or if I want it on the TV, then the one thats built into the Wii as I, like your young one, prefer it.

On the noise front, my 360 is noisier than the ps3 for sure but my ps3 is not one of the silent ones unfortunately. On both the 360 and PS3 it seems like there is a lot of variance. My Elite is a lot quieter than my premiun was.

Having said all that I don't regret buying the PS3, it's a quality piece of kit. It just doesn't get used as a games machine at the moment. One of the games I had on preorder was Stranglehold, but after getting the email from Game saying it had been put back to late October ( 26th I think), I borrowed my brothers copy for the 360 and have started that.

You should also bear in mind that you can buy both a 360 Premium (£250) and a Wii (£179) for £4 more than the PS3 (£425) :eek:

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Indeed Mec, pretty much the same as me that and I agree with all those points.

26. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    I'd heard that it was possible but you had to turn off various security settings, is that true?

27. DPT1976

DPT1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    It's a pity that you're not getting much enjoyment from you PS3 and i do agree with you that quality titles are in short supply at the moment. However, as you have a 360 and a Wii these should keep you entertained through this barren patch.

Personally i have found that with every console i have owned there have been periods where there are no games being released that i want to play and there have been times where i haven't used one of my consoles for months on end but this is where owning more than one console really has it's benefits.

If i were you i would just enjoy the upcoming games that you want for the 360 and Wii and take another look in a few months time at the available games for the PS3 and hopefully there will be some titles that you want.

28. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,668
    I have to say I'm surprised people buy a brand new console and then complain about the lack of games - surely that is the same for the launch of every console? The Xbox 360 took a year to get a strong lineup of titles (IMHO).

Personally I own both an Xbox 360 and PS3 but both sit largely unused because my preferred platform is the PC. That said I thorough enjoyed Resistance: Fall Of Man on the PS3 so it's earnt it's place and my money as an 'early adopter'. If it can manage 5 or 6 more quality games during it's lifespan I will be extremely happy.

29. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Not true. Security settings will still work with ethernet based wireless gaming adapters.

30. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    Can you use any wireless adaptor with the 360 then? I tried for an age and even roped in an IT nerd friend and eventually had to cave and get the official one.