PS3 does not upscale Star Trek Blu-ray set aspect ratio?

William Lee

Standard Member
Reaction score
Some people might find this objectionable, but if I'm watching a film from the days before widescreen, something in 1.33 or 4:3 that is not known for its composition quality, I set my PS3 BD/DVD upscaler to "fullscreen" rather than "normal," so it will slightly blow up the frame to fill the screen without stretching the image as other players do when they take a 1.33:1 or 4:3 aspect ratio and stretch it to fill the screen.

The original "Star Trek" TV show is one I would prefer blown up rather than in its original aspect ratio because while it's an awesome show, I don't watch it for the artistic compositions (just an opinion). I just bought the season 1 blu-ray set, and was surprised to find that the PS3 doesn't upscale the image. With the same upscaler settings used for other movies I get a full screen, with a little bit cropped around the edges but no stretching. With the "Star Trek" blu-ray set, I get the image in 4:3 or 1.33:1 (whichever it is), with the bars on the side, no matter how I fiddle with it. (It will stretch it in the television's "wide" mode.) I'm using a Pioneer Kuro 50" but I don't think it matters (I've checked all the options on the Pioneer remote aspect ratio button). My only guess as to why the upscaler won't work with this particular set is that it's blu-ray and not DVD. The reason I think so is this is the only non-widescreen movie on Blu-ray that I've ever looked at, so I'm reasoning that the quality of the Blu-ray somehow inhibits the PS3 from upscaling it as it does lesser DVDs. But then the disc and the player are both Sony products so that answer would be confusing. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion as to why it doesn't work. A solution would be even better but I don't think there is one. Thanks!

Blu Ray doesn't upscale. I don't think that you can fix it.

Whether or not you watch a film for "the artistic compositions" is irrelevant, you are not "upscaling" a 4:3 picture if you show it in a widescreen image, you are stretching and distorting the image, that is why the PS3 will not allow you to do it. Upscaling means something else entirely, eg improving a DVD resolution. Blu-Ray decks are designed to prevent consumers from inadvertently pressing the wrong button and viewing a picture incorrectly.

Welcome to the forum and prepare for a lynching what you are suggesting can't be done and for the life of me I cannot understand why you would want to.

As has been said you can't 'upscale' the blu ray it is already in high definition the aspect ration is set as was intended if you wanted to to stretch the image I would suggest you take the blu ray set back and get the DVD version.

The only way to view native 1080p 1.33:1 material in full screen is to use a zoom mode. This will cut off the top and bottom portions of the screen but will not distort the image. I have the same TV as you but I can't remember if the zoom aspect ratio option is available when sending a native 1080p image to the screen. Are you sure it doesn't give you that option?

HDMI connections often disable the zoom function. I did have a HDMI connected Panasonic that gave me the option of whether the TV or the player had control of the aspect ratio/where to put black borders.

I'm having thread deja vu.

I can zoom BD's with my TV and have tried it out on my Trek TOS HD-DVD set and it just doesnt look right, everything seems too cramped.

I can zoom BD's with my TV and have tried it out on my Trek TOS HD-DVD set and it just doesnt look right, everything seems too cramped.

No S*** a bad idea!!

Some people might find this objectionable, but if I'm watching a film from the days before widescreen, something in 1.33 or 4:3 that is not known for its composition quality, I set my PS3 BD/DVD upscaler to "fullscreen" rather than "normal," so it will slightly blow up the frame to fill the screen without stretching the image as other players do when they take a 1.33:1 or 4:3 aspect ratio and stretch it to fill the screen.

The original "Star Trek" TV show is one I would prefer blown up rather than in its original aspect ratio because while it's an awesome show, I don't watch it for the artistic compositions (just an opinion). I just bought the season 1 blu-ray set, and was surprised to find that the PS3 doesn't upscale the image. With the same upscaler settings used for other movies I get a full screen, with a little bit cropped around the edges but no stretching. With the "Star Trek" blu-ray set, I get the image in 4:3 or 1.33:1 (whichever it is), with the bars on the side, no matter how I fiddle with it. (It will stretch it in the television's "wide" mode.) I'm using a Pioneer Kuro 50" but I don't think it matters (I've checked all the options on the Pioneer remote aspect ratio button). My only guess as to why the upscaler won't work with this particular set is that it's blu-ray and not DVD. The reason I think so is this is the only non-widescreen movie on Blu-ray that I've ever looked at, so I'm reasoning that the quality of the Blu-ray somehow inhibits the PS3 from upscaling it as it does lesser DVDs. But then the disc and the player are both Sony products so that answer would be confusing. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion as to why it doesn't work. A solution would be even better but I don't think there is one. Thanks!

The PS3 "fullscreen" setting stretches the images into a distorted mess.
However this works with dvd only to give you a choice of viewing correctly in 4:3 or stretching to 16:9.

Bluray is 16:9 anyway so you cannot stretch it.
You can zoom and chop off the top and bottom if your tv allows it (my panasonic does)

But after all the time and effort and care put into creating new effects that fit in with the original show rather than overwhelming it why would you want to mess about with the image.

If it bothers you that much get the dvd's and you'll be able to do it.

I have the HD DVD of this. It's shown in a 16/9 presentation with black borders down the sides to make it 4/3 as it should be.

Regards
Bri

Welcome to the forum and prepare for a lynching what you are suggesting can't be done and for the life of me I cannot understand why you would want to.

As has been said you can't 'upscale' the blu ray it is already in high definition the aspect ration is set as was intended if you wanted to to stretch the image I would suggest you take the blu ray set back and get the DVD version.

People are too harsh on here. Somebody just wants to watch the episodes full screen for themselves. It is not really our business to make them regret the question.

I Think the upscale function is just useless, it says "BD/DVD Upscaler" and it only upscales DVDs :eek:. Maybe if Sony got enough complaints they might fix the function to its full potential :thumbsup:. And on top of that making the aspect ratio wider doesn't distort the image, anyone who's watched the "friends" DVDs or Star Trek preview episode trailers on the special features should know what I mean :lesson:.

And on top of that making the aspect ratio wider doesn't distort the image, anyone who's watched the "friends" DVDs or Star Trek preview episode trailers on the special features should know what I mean :lesson:.

It MUST distort the image...and/or chop bits of the picture off. Both of which are bad imho.

I Think the upscale function is just useless, it says "BD/DVD Upscaler" and it only upscales DVDs :eek:. Maybe if Sony got enough complaints they might fix the function to its full potential :thumbsup:. And on top of that making the aspect ratio wider doesn't distort the image, anyone who's watched the "friends" DVDs or Star Trek preview episode trailers on the special features should know what I mean :lesson:.

No such thing as a BD upscaler. It is a BD player/DVD upscaler.

The PS3 upscales DVD's to 1080p or whatever you choose to set it at.
Bluray does not need upscaling.

Filling a 16:9 frame with a stretched 4:3 image is NOT upscaling.
If you do manage to fill a rectangular panel from a squareish image it WILL be distorted

If you do manage to fill a rectangular panel from a squareish image it WILL be distorted

Some seem to like this kind of thing. I always use the grey side bars on my Pioneer for 4/3 stuff.

Bri

Some seem to like this kind of thing. I always use the grey side bars on my Pioneer for 4/3 stuff.

Bri

When I first got grey bars (can't recall if it was the Panny tv or the dvdr I had that generated them) I thought something was wrong.

Massive sigh of relief when I was able to go back to black bars.

The grey ones were even more annoying than the fancy paintings Disney have given as a sidebar option on the Pinocchio Bluray

When I first got grey bars (can't recall if it was the Panny tv or the dvdr I had that generated them) I thought something was wrong.

Massive sigh of relief when I was able to go back to black bars.

The grey ones were even more annoying than the fancy paintings Disney have given as a sidebar option on the Pinocchio Bluray

The plasma guides recommend the grey borders. I wasn't too keen at first but I regard it as normal now.

Best wishes
Bri

The only way to view native 1080p 1.33:1 material in full screen is to use a zoom mode. This will cut off the top and bottom portions of the screen but will not distort the image. I have the same TV as you but I can't remember if the zoom aspect ratio option is available when sending a native 1080p image to the screen. Are you sure it doesn't give you that option?

Thank you yes this is the issue. It doesn't give that option for blu-ray. In response to other posts decrying the stretching of the image, the PS3 DVD image of a 4:3 (or 1.33:1) when set to upscale to full screen does not stretch the image as other settings will do but slightly blows it up, cutting off a little of the top and bottom of the image but making for (in my opinion) a much better viewing experience. It will not do this with blu-rays which leads me to believe it is a unintentional bonus option for blowing up 1.33:1 movies (depending on the viewer's pov). I know this may seem horrible to some purists but I was one once and don't knock it till you've tried it.

At first I thought I wanted to see all films in their original aspect ratio, but subsequent research and my own experimentation leads me to conclude that for the most part size at the expense of a little cropping greatly increases the viewing pleasure at a small loss of the frame, at least with the unique PS3 upscaling setting. Too bad it won't work with blu-ray. There's really no reason it shouldn't.

Wrong, at the proper setting it fills the 16:9 frame with a slightly enlarged version of 4:3. You do lose some of the original image but it is NOT stretched, as it is in "wide" or "zoom" modes.

The PS3 "fullscreen" setting stretches the images into a distorted mess.
However this works with dvd only to give you a choice of viewing correctly in 4:3 or stretching to 16:9.

Bluray is 16:9 anyway so you cannot stretch it.
You can zoom and chop off the top and bottom if your tv allows it (my panasonic does)

But after all the time and effort and care put into creating new effects that fit in with the original show rather than overwhelming it why would you want to mess about with the image.

If it bothers you that much get the dvd's and you'll be able to do it.

You have no idea what you're talking about. The fullscreen option does not stretch, as was pointed out in the original post. Second, Blu-Ray is not 16:9 anyway. Blu-ray is a technology for storing data. Aspect ratio has to do with format, either television type or the way an image was shot and/or transfered to the final cut of a film or TV show. Sorry to have to go over the obvious but this stretching issue is really misdirecting the original question.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom