PS3 Display Problem with 1080p TV?

NATH92

Standard Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked a billion times before

Right ok, I have a 22inch LG M227WD 1080p HD TV and my PS3 is connected to it via a Sony HDMI Cable

The problem I'm getting when playing games, normal dvds and blurays is that it changes brightness automatically and becomes really dark and then goes bright again and it carry's on doing it

I've tried to change the display settings on my PS3 from 1080p to 1080i and 720p but it still seems to do it, I've also tried formatting my playstation back to factory settings but still no cigar which is really frustrating because now I've lost all of my game saves

I was wondering if anybody knows how to fix this problem

Sorry if it's in the wrong forum

Please help!!!!!!!!

That sounds like some kind of setting on the monitor itself that's automatically adjusting the brightness, rather than anything to do with the PS3 or its settings. Have a look through the monitor's menu system to see if there's some setting that might be the culprit and try turning it off. If you can't find anything, it might be worth dropping LG an email to ask them if the monitor automatically adjust the image in this way and if it can be turned off. If it's not that, then I would try a different HDMI cable to rule out issues with that and if it's not that, then try the PS3 on a different monitor/TV just to see if it is a fault with the console.

That sounds like some kind of setting on the monitor itself that's automatically adjusting the brightness, rather than anything to do with the PS3 or its settings. Have a look through the monitor's menu system to see if there's some setting that might be the culprit and try turning it off. If you can't find anything, it might be worth dropping LG an email to ask them if the monitor automatically adjust the image in this way and if it can be turned off. If it's not that, then I would try a different HDMI cable to rule out issues with that and if it's not that, then try the PS3 on a different monitor/TV just to see if it is a fault with the console.

Thanks for the help, Am I right to think that using a HDMI Cable that isn't made by Sony screws up the warranty though :S

I don't believe so, no. Check the manual, but I'm pretty sure you can use any HDMI cable you like without voiding your warranty.

Looking at the manual http://www.lg.com/uk/common/product...t-products/monitors/LG-tv-monitor-M227WD.jsp# (link to manual on right)

I think the settings that are most likely doing it are probably
*Advanced- Black (Darkness) level (page 56)
or maybe
*Fresh Contrast (page 54)

I may be wrong, but it's probably one of these two.
Try adjusting each setting in turn to see which one is causing the problem :smashin:

Thanks hippo I'll have a try, I just think it's really strange how it doesn't happen with all games but it has become more frequent and worse :rolleyes:

NATH92 said:
Thanks for the help, Am I right to think that using a HDMI Cable that isn't made by Sony screws up the warranty though :S

Nah, you can use any HDMI cables, but in the ps3 manual it says 'we recommend you use Sony cables' which they then try to charge £30 for as opposed to perfectly adequate cheap ones for a fiver.

Sent from phone

I got a new HDMI Cable yesterday and it seems to be alright now :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom