PS3 delayed until at least Nov 2006?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by paulfoley, Mar 14, 2006.

1. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    OK the official news probably wont be announced until tomorrow in Tokyo (big press conference been called) but this is a pretty decent source :

Dow Jones----

14-Mar-06 12:28 ET In Play --- Sony to delay the release of its PlayStation 3 next-generation video game console - DJ (SNE) 47.48 +0.71: Dow Jones reporting that Sony Computer Entertainment will delay the release of its PlayStation 3 next-generation video game console until early November because the copy protection technology for the Blu-ray Disc has not been finalized, The Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported in its Wednesday morning edition.

If its delayed until Nov in Japan it almost certainly means that its 2007 in the US & EU !

If true, the ramifacations are enormous, it gives HD-DVD a 9 month headstart as a cheap player, it may allow Microsoft to release its even cheaper add on, the movie studios could become frustrated & switch to the Toshiba camp, it could see the XBox 360 storm ahead with a second xmas free of HD Console Competition, etc.

:eek:

Mod Edit: Changed tite to read Nov 2006

2. boksbox

boksbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93

Why on earth would it effect Blue ray vs HD_DVD?, it's just a games console, hardly a big player compared to the number of stand alone DVD players.

3. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    PS3 is seen as a massive opportunity for Sony to penetrate households with next gen DVD.

Remember how popular the PS2 was because, one of the reasons was because of the built in DVD functionality which many homes didnt have at the time.

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +555
    It is how Sony intend to get Bluray into the homes of the masses that wouldn't otherwise consider upgrading from their standard DVD.

5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +555
    :D Snap

6. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    great minds ;) :smashin:

7. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    In the US the cheapest announced Blu Ray Players are $999, whereas Toshiba will be selling their HD-DVD Players (at a loss initially) for $499. The PS3 was to be the first "at-a-loss" Blu Ray Player.

Blu Ray was the clear favourite, not so sure now?

8. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    It's a definate now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4807858.stm

So it looks like Sony can't launch their killer below until the end of the year and Toshiba can't arrange for any films to be available for their launch in two week's time.

Is this game on for the format war or game over for both of them?

9. leeclissett

leeclissett
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hang on, do none of you realise there is a WHOLE load of websites out there full of info!

Sony announced at 6am this morning that the PS3 will be delayed until November due to Blu-ray problems and problems with the new Cell chip.

BUT, they also announced there will be a worldwide launch within a few days of each other, so unless there are anymore problems we'll have the PS3 here in November.

They also said they will be producing 1 million units a month to make sure there are no shortages, XBox 360 stylee.

10. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    i think it will still be the usual overpriced sony tat, just look at the ps2.

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    :hiya: Gosh, why didn't I see this coming :hiya:

Doesn't bode well for Blue Ray, this was their ace and if it so delayed then it is a bad body blow.

12. soiaf

soiaf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  13. nh3com

nh3com
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    think they also said that the PS3 would arrive in japan in spring 06.. i fully expect another anoucment in october pushing the US back to early 07 and europe middle of 07. both console/dvd war will have been won by MS and HD-DVD by then. think they should rename the PS3 the PS4 as they might just get that out before the next MS console

14. Theriomophic

Theriomophic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,406
    Have to say I'm not surprised by the delay to the PS3 at all - the cost factor made it obvious. With BluRay players being released at the $1000+ mark it was obvious that a console that was even more advanced but needed to be priced at $500 or less would not make it to market that quickly. 6 - 12 months from now the price of the hardware will have fallen dramtically and the same will be achieveable in budget. It was amusing to watch some forumites suggesting they would be able to buy a PS3 for half what the cheapest standalone would cost though :rotfl:

I doubt this - looking back at the Xbox and PS2 the former was the better console but the latter had all the best games. I should imagine the same will be true of this generation. We are yet to see any 'must have' games on the 360 despite all the hype.

That said HD DVD will certainly benefit from the boast given to it by the HD DVD addon and (inevitably) the integrated HD DVD/360 version that will follow...

16. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    First gen games never really contain any 'must haves', it always takes coders a while to get to grips with a system to make it shine.

Now, with PS3 delayed to November, that gives MS an extra 6 months of games releases, all they need are a few damn good titles (Dead Rising, Halo 3, Res Evil 5, Too human etc) and we could see 360s in short supply again before xmas.

As others have said, the PS2 was THE last gen games machine because of the titles available, with a YEAR head-start Microsoft would have to be either rather unlucky or plain stupid to manage to lose this war.......and the PS3 price may help them enormously as well.

Lets hope Microsoft announce the HD-DVD drive VERY soon, I am looking at these Toshiba HD-A1s and getting an itchy "Add to my cart" finger :devil:

17. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I don't know about you, but knowing we'll get the PS3 in Europe in November 2006 is pretty good news. Especially for those of us that intend using it to play Blu-ray movies.

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,406
    Well I admire your optimism ;)

The 360 is essentially a PC gaming system in a friendly package. It should be relatively easy for coders to convert from PC to 360 (and vice versa). The fact that the 360 is still lacking any decent games four months after launch is not a good indicator of what's to come. I suppose there are some decent looking titles in the work though - Gears of War, Tomb Raider etc.

19. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    It looks like they've been backed into a corner and had no choice but to go for a worldwide release to try and keep Hollywood sweet.

If the US release had been pushed the otherside of Christmas they would probably have had more studios go format neutral or switch back to HD-DVD.

They still might, depending on how things go with the HD-DVD launch. But I think almost everyone in America was expecting a launch just before Christmas anyway.

It's good news that we'll be getting it before Christmas. Much better than spring 2007.

Let's just hope Sony spend the next 6 months building up nice healthy stockpiles of the difficult to manufacture bits like the cell chip. We don't want them to break another promise, do we?

Have Game started taking pre-orders yet? After Xbox360 it's probably best not to hand arround. :)

20. gkinghrn

gkinghrn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    In true capitalist terms this probably only means Japan and the US..the UK will be late again... Worldwide launches never are.... Still I'm gonna pre-order a few and then flog them on ebay for more than i pay for them...it'll be the same shortages as always....:D I'll keep my Xbox 360 thanks very much...the games alone are more 'grown up' PS2 games are for kids!...lol

21. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,406
    I think that is very much game, rather than platform, dependant. Kameo (and Fable) are two of the most recent games I've played that are for a 'young/immature' audience and they are 360 and Xbox respectively. There are kids games on all platforms so I don't think you can really nail down a platform for 'kids' and one for 'adults'. Ultimately all consoles are toys aren't they?

If any platform has to take the title of being for 'mature' gamers then it must be the PC - not many 12 year olds can afford dual nVidia 7900GFX graphics cards :D But even then you still have a few kids titles on the PC.

22. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,067
    They do actually say "US, Japan and Europe" - but whether you believe them is another question.

23. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    PS2 games are for kids, yeah, those little whipper snappers love Black, GTA and Killzone, pesky little blighters.

You stick to your 360 and it's "grown up" games :boring: