PS3 delayed in Europe until September 07?

I feel sorry for all you gaming addicts, but I am chuffed to bits.
If this is true, which I doubt, this will surely kill off BD in Europe

Are sony deliberately trying to kill what interest remains to get a PS3, at this rate Microsoft will be releasing details of the new Xbox and no one will care about the old PS3.

Beginning to wonder if Europe will even see the console at all next year and then that will be 2 years the PS3 hasn't launched, they'd be as well not bothering

someone's not telling the truth http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439336

I think it will launch in march simply because although I don't think actual sales will be harmed that much, the bad publicity of delaying again would kill off any remaining chance it has of succeeding.

I dont believe the article myself,

They say the info is from a "source" but they do not mention what credentials this source has... it could be one of their nans for all we know.

anyway, i believe the bottom paraggraph more...

When contacted this morning a Sony UK spokesperson told CVG that "We're 100 percent on track for a March release".

I dont think it will launch in March, however, I can see MS increasing market share in Europe forcing their hand a little into launching with a very short amount of consoles available.

After all, the PSP launched in September in Europe, but it took many stores untill late November / early December to get decent amounts of stock, and I can see the same happening here.

And wasnt the PSP suppose to launch in March?!

yes - but its kind of different this time around. The PS3 was supposed to be with us March this year, so by the time of the UK launch it wil be a year delay. With the PSP, it was supposed to launch in march, but was delayed to September, only 6 months.

Add to that sony's main competition (the DS) didn't get 2 xmas's head start (which the 360 has). I don't think sony can afford to delay it again tbh

I will be amazed if the PS3 launches in the UK in March. They will want the launch hype to circulate in the run upto Christmas.

Hopefully PS3 will launch in March, because according to Sony they have been able to resolve their production issues:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12051

I just cannot understand that, IF the production issues have been sorted out then where are the replenishment stocks for the US and Japan? There seems to be more machines on eBay than Sony have got in retail stores.

I never thought march was possible in the same way that I do not think 6 million machines to retail by the same date is possible given the continuing problems with the Blu-ray diodes and low cell yields.

I would like to see the machine hit just to see which way the multiregion games will work out (will they lock them up once the machine is available in Europe)

I just cannot understand that, IF the production issues have been sorted out then where are the replenishment stocks for the US and Japan? There seems to be more machines on eBay than Sony have got in retail stores.

I never thought march was possible in the same way that I do not think 6 million machines to retail by the same date is possible given the continuing problems with the Blu-ray diodes and low cell yields.

I would like to see the machine hit just to see which way the multiregion games will work out (will they lock them up once the machine is available in Europe)

You might be right mate. I just read that acording to a Sony rep, they may currently be producing 100,000 units a week, which makes it difficult to believe that they will be able to ship 1 million by the end of the year:(

PS3 production is in full swing. Something like 100,000 units are being pumped out (I think he said weekly). He was very confident they have solved their diode issues.

Quote from Destructoid website - Link

It really looks like a case of having to wait and see what will happen.

I just cannot understand that, IF the production issues have been sorted out then where are the replenishment stocks for the US and Japan? There seems to be more machines on eBay than Sony have got in retail stores...

Sony are shipping at least 30k+ units into Japan weekly. US figures are unknown, but I would imagine they are putting twice that many in (the US being a harder sell than Japan). If you look on AVS, there are regular restocks of units, just in small numbers. I think they are getting up to the 100k weekly quoted.

Doesn't mean much for the PAL launch though.

I would say September is the more sensible estimate of launch dates for Europe.

I'm pretty sure that Sony will launch the PS3 in March with a big fanfare. The issue I think is going to be the quantity of units available for launch. It would be far easier to launch say 20,000 units in March, sell them all and then let production lag for a few months until all the issues could be ironed out. The alternative (a delay until say September) would be a really stupid mistake - but who knows with Sony's current track record.

The thought of the ebay price in March is terrifying.

Sony did it before with the PSP and I will not be at all surprised if they do it with the PS3. I'd say September's a good bet for Europe, and I'll be very surprised if we see the launch in March.

I'm pretty sure that Sony will launch the PS3 in March with a big fanfare. The issue I think is going to be the quantity of units available for launch. It would be far easier to launch say 20,000 units in March, sell them all and then let production lag for a few months until all the issues could be ironed out. The alternative (a delay until say September) would be a really stupid mistake - but who knows with Sony's current track record.

The thought of the ebay price in March is terrifying.

Yes, this sounds plausible.

The fact that you can't get them, seems to make them much more wantable, hence fueling the demand and the desirability.
It's a great tactic, but will be found out eventually, IMO.
But I have doubts that they have sorted the PAL problem.
I might be talking out of my butt here, but I wonder if it's all to do with "protection".

"We're still on schedule to launch in March," says SCEE boss (David Reeves)

Full Story

I would say Sony will be sticking to the March date.

It will lauch in March, prob with only a few consoles, (they can't delay it again, or it will be the end) then coming up to christmas there will prob be a mini second launch when they have loads more consoles and to attack the xmas sales.

It will lauch in March, prob with only a few consoles, (they can't delay it again, or it will be the end) then coming up to christmas there will prob be a mini second launch when they have loads more consoles and to attack the xmas sales.
But they won't get any real publicity from a second launch - the press isn't going to be very interested in something that has been on the shop shelves for nine months. Even a 'shortage' story would be hard to run because it would just make Sony look incompetent - oh look they can't ship enough of the product they have been mass producing for the last year.

I dont believe the article myself,

They say the info is from a "source" but they do not mention what credentials this source has... it could be one of their nans for all we know.

anyway, i believe the bottom paraggraph more...

You actually believe something Sony have said?! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I know we cant 100% trust sony...but, I did get an email today from playstation official site inviting me to register my gaming id for when the console comes out in March...now please dont attack me, but this is the first time I have heard from Sony themselves saying anything about a March release, so I kind of felt excitied by this! Anyone else get this email?

Badger 0-0 "I feel sorry for all you gaming addicts, but I am chuffed to bits.
If this is true, which I doubt, this will surely kill off BD in Europe"

I am not qoting this to have a go at you...I dont care what becomes mainstream, I am just always curious as to why one person preffers one over the other? What are your thoughts on Blu ray?
:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom