PS3 dash v Xbox 360 dash

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by dougsdir, Jan 21, 2008.

1. dougsdir

dougsdir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ive always favoured the xbox and last year decided on the 360 for my new plasma. I thought the 360 blade style dashboard was great although not quite as good as xbmc for xbox 1 but, last week my father in law got a free PS3 with a tv he bought and asked me to set it up for him (this was my first look at a PS3)

What I found was the PS3 dash looks a lot more polished than the 360s
    When viewing photographs you can do a lot more with it and in general looks a lot better.
    When listening to mp3s etc , the visualizations are far superior. MS only supply some bouncing lines etc in time with the music. On the PS3 I got some views from outer space which looked really good. (didnt have time to explore more types)
    The PS3 also allows you to copy videos onto its hard drive (this doesnt really bother me as I stream everything from my server)
    Surely microsoft could spruce up the look of Pictures, Music and Video and the navigation within with a future dash update.
    anyone happy with the current dash for pictures, music and video
    I realize the 360 is primarily a games console with this as an extra!

2. geowars2

geowars2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    i don't have an xbox 360 but i too think the 'dashboard' looks much better on the ps3 and the xbox 360.

before the xbox360 came out, i remember how everyone made a big deal about how good the visualisations were going to be... they're bloody crap :mad:

the xbox 360 dashboard overall is still good though :thumbsup:

3. D@Z

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Perfectly happy with it as it is. It plays my games perfectly and I can't say I've ever had the urge to look at images of space anytime recently so thats not too much of an issue for me.

Also, the ability to perform all the dashboard functions such as chat to mates, listen to music, send/recieve messages, invite friends to games etc etc etc whilst all the time continueing to play my games flawelessly kind of takes priority for me over looking at uranus.

4. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    I would agree with many of the OP's comments, but my PS3 doesn't even recognise my WMP11 music collection, so I have no option but to use my 360 which finds it instantly. Very confusing. :confused: PS3 desperately needs in-game streaming too.

5. EazyE

EazyE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Try using TVersity instead for streaming, works flawlessly.

Although the PS3 has a 40/60gig HDD anyway so you might as well keep it on HDD. Or if thats not enough buy a 250gig HDD to replace the 40/60gig one. Or just get an external HDD like me. I have in total 310 gig for my PS3 (250gig external HDD, 60gig internal) which is more than enough. The 360 lacks all these basic features you get as standard with PS3.

6. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    I tried that and my 360 couldn't see it. Opening up ports and all sorts to no avail. WMP11 seems suited to someone with no home networking experience such as myself, well at least on my 360.

Maybe when I've got some spare time I'll give it another go, but they never make these things easy do they!

7. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,663
    Eh? The 360 has a hard drive and can also use external drives. What are these other magical features you speak of?

8. jms_uk

jms_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I've got both consoles, and I'll say that the PS3s UI is definitely an exercise in Form over Function IMHO. I've said before that its not until you start using the PS3 in anger that you realise the little things the XBox360 dash and UI does, leaves the PS3's in the dust.. functionally IMHO, the 360 UI runs rings around the PS3s, its easier to navigate and the actual features offered really do seem to have had more time spent on them by the "Human Factors" teams you know both companies employ..

..Silly things like accessing your messages, deleting your messages that kinda stuff... stuff we all take for granted are that way because of a clear design strategy that's obviously been tested extensively.. I'll concede that the PS3's UI is more striking, I'll give you that.. but try using for any length of time..

Don't get me wrong, its NOT unusable by any means but (again IMHO) the 360s one feels like its been tested by normal people and not just developers and design geeks who WILL do things their own way if left unchecked (I know, I'm a developer myself for my sins!) :D

Ironic really, when you consider that M$ own track record for good UI design in their Operating System products leaves a LOT to be desired.. ;)

Just my two cents worth ;)

9. BradleyLove

BradleyLove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Ignoring such things as in-game messaging, custom soundtracks, etc... I find the XMB far better to use and more "grown up". Since the last update, I'm finding the 360 dash very confusing to navigate and very sloooooooooooow.

Also, it has to be said - I despise the fact that despite paying MS £40 a year for Live, they force me to view adverts; something the XMB doesn't have.

In an ideal world I'd love to have the functionality of the 360 dash, with the usability and aesthetics of the XMB.

10. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,334
    Are you kidding? I have to say I waaaayyyyyyy prefer the 360's blades to the PS3's X Bar. The X Bar is fine on the PSP but far to fiddly on the PS3, their are just too many options for it to work. I hadn't used my 360 for ages till the other night, fired it up and updated it. Checked out the blades and I was amazed at the new features AND how easy it was to use and access them. It just works so much better then the 360. I'm afraid it just shows MS make software as it rules on the 360. The PS3 has much more solid hardware bar the controllers but the UI is just crap.

11. Broxi1979

Broxi1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Interesting topic ... a lot of people make a lot of noise about the superior PS3 XMB. Personally I've always much preferred the 360 Dashboard, particularly the media bar and the way it displays your music, videos, etc. It's more media centre like than the XMB. I really can't stress enough how intuitive the 360 media blade is and how unintuitive the PS3 XMB is.

The way the PS3 opens out all the folders to get to the one that contains your music is a pain in the ass and looks far too cluttered, navigating around music albums is also too fiddly on PS3 and for some reason it insists on listing my album tracks in alphabetical order rather than by track number.

Horses for courses I guess but to me the 360 handles my media effortlessly and although the earth visualisation looks really good on PS3, it's about the only one I use ... the rest are a bit bland.

I also don't get the random network disconnects on my 360 the way I do on PS and the 360 seems to play almost any video file I throw at it, where my PS3 takes a random hissy fit at some files and won't play HDWMV at all.

One last point, my 360 dashboard outputs audio in Dolby Digital, whether playing music or simply navigating about the dashboard. The XMB is always outputting Pro Logic, even when l'm playing music files. I downloaded the Stardust HD update the other day and set up some music to play as a custom soundtrack in the game. To achieve this meant copying music to my HDD (pointless exercise, why not stream) and I could not have been more dissappointed with the outcome. The music sounded muted and seperate from the game, it was completely overpowered by the game audio/music. Not to mention that this feature is standard on all 360 games, integrates brilliantly with the game audio AND can be streamed in real time from your PCs music collection.

All of these PS3 faults can be cured by more updates however and I really hope they are.

12. runam0k

runam0k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Or leave it all on your PC/NAS where it belongs and fix the streaming issues. :)

On topic: I like the look of the XMB but for ease of use and functionality - except when it's inexplicably slow, which seems to be due to the current Live issue - the 360's dash and guide win.

Not sure why MS bundled demos and arcade games together though. The arcade should have it's own blade.

13. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    oooh cheeky!

14. D@Z

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74

LOL, I cant wait for you to elaborate on 'all these basic features' that the PS3 has and the 360 lacks. I have both consoles and I'm damned if I can find them, quite the opposite in fact.

DO tell :lease:

15. D@Z

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74

Touche :smashin:

16. y2k

y2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    One basic feature that the PS3 has that the XBOX does not is built in Wifi another is feature thats not basic and not really needed is the ability to play High Definition movies from disc, unbelieveable that they would even think of building a games console for online gaming these days without having built in wireless.

17. Codehead

Codehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    Does the 40Gb PS3 have the built-in WiFi? I saw a rundown of the features the other day and the 40Gb seems to have a lot of stuff chopped, including the Wifi according to that list.

18. ghost5

ghost5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    No, all PS3 models have built in wi-fi

Back on topic, I prefer the XMB over the blade system. IMO I think it looks more grown up and more stylish, however there are still a lot of things that could be improved in both layout and functionality.

Saying that, I got rid of my Xbox 6 months ago so I have not seen what the updates have brought to it

19. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    The 20gb doesn't but that is not available in the uk so it's a moot point...

I have to say that I prefer the 360 dash, it's just simple...that's not to say that the 360 is complicated but I just find it clunky and cumbersome.

20. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,663
    We were talking about internal and external hard drives and streaming media, not other hardware features.

21. y2k

y2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Wifi has a lot to do with streaming media, and all of the features of both consoles will rely on the hardware.

22. Codehead

Codehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    I don't think WiFi is a 'must have'. It drives up the cost of the hardware to include it. Some users will never connect to the web, others will use a wired connection. An optional dongle is fine for those who want it (if a little expensive for the 'Offical' MS one).

On topic, I think the XBox dash is a well implemented system. Being able to access most of the dashboard functions while staying in game is well implemented. I just wish the blades were faster to dissappear when I accidentally hit the silver X button in a mad panic during GoW multiplayer.

23. y2k

y2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Wifi is a must have its how most people connect to the internet these days and if you play online like most people do then yes it is a must, wii, psp, ps3, nintendo ds and some mobile phones all come with built in wifi and sooner or later there will be a more expensive 360 with it built in to, microsoft said they were not adding it to save the customers money lol I paid £60 for my wifi dongle like most other people and guess where most of that went.

Hope thats an end to the hijacking of this thread now.

24. Captain Speedy

Captain Speedy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,033
    Wifi is not a must, both my PS3 and 360 are run through ethernet and I would not connect them wirelessly.

25. LiFo

LiFo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Surely we are talking about the ease of interface, and general appearance of the dashboards.

In which case imho the Xbox is far more user friendly, i can't get on with my PS3, however i do like the moving thumbnails (easily pleased)

26. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,663
    Not for me or any of my other 360 owning mates :)

27. D@Z

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74

LOL we're talking about media streaming and blades and all you can come up with is the 360 doesn't have built in wi-fi :rolleyes:

There are more people who DONT use wi-fi than do. It is really not difficult to run a cable to your AV equipment thus giving you the very best possible connection. I have wi-fi which i'll use if I want to surf in the bath or the conservatory but I have permanent cables ran in to my lounge equipment. This hard wired setup is always going to be better than wi-fi, end of. Therefore I do not want a wi-fi adaptor forced on me at a large cost to me when I have a BETTER system already in place and would not use it. MS, for all their faults, gave me that choice, sony didnt.

If you want to nit pick about features at least get a decent argument in place first. Should we discuss rumble? or achievements? or LIVE? or BC? because those REALLY ARE basic features that one of these consoles lacks??

28. y2k

y2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I have an xbox and not a ps3, im happy with the dashboard there is nothing wrong with it at all. All I was doing was replying to a post where some people asked someone a question and I was just giving them the answer. I was more than a little annoyed when I found out that I had to buy a wireless adapter but mabey thats just me, I will say no more on the subject apart from the 360 dashboard has always worked perfectly for me as thats what the original thread is about.

29. EazyE

EazyE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yea if you enjoy leaving a PC on just for the sake of watching a film on the 360. Like power drainageeeee. Enjoy the electric bill.

30. smallclanger

smallclanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    I stream from the PC to the 360 because the 360 is in the front room connected to my lovely LCD TV and the PC is in the office.