PS3 controllers and the Harmony 1000 - select function

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Ari, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Ari

Ari
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're watching a movie on the PS3 then you can use a controller as the remote.

Now I have a Harmony 1000 as the remote for all my AV equipment, and as the PS3 is bluetooth, I have a Pelican remote fitted, substituted by the Harmony 1000.

It works a treat except for one function. The left/right/up/down control on the Harmony works fine on the PS3 DVD menus, but when you're using a controller, to select a chosen function you press "X". Now on the H1000 if you press the enter button it doesn't mimic "X" (which it needs to), it mimics the "select" button on the controller which usually brings up some spurious item.

So I need to get it to recognise that "enter" key (the middle button in the left/right/up/down pad) as "X" instead of "select".

How do I do this?

2. Gadgetcity

Gadgetcity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Run up the harmony software. On the PS3 tab select customise buttons. Scroll down to "OK". Change it to "X". Select done and then update the remote.

It was the first button I customised :)

3. wingnut121

wingnut121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    gadgetcity is spot on change 'enter' to the 'x' button

4. Ari

Ari
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys are geniuses, you really are. :)

Sorted! :smashin:

5. Ari

Ari
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I tried it and it didn't work, the "OK" button still operates the "select" function of the controller. :confused:

Went into it again on the PC and tried changing it to "enter" (although I totally agree it should be "X"), still no joy, still working as "select".

Went in again and changed it back to "X" and still it works as "select" when I try and use it.

I'm obviously missing something here, but I can't for the life of me figure out what.

And yes I am updating the settings to the remote each time.

Help!! :lease:

6. Ari

Ari
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hang on, I've cracked it! :D

I'm not sure what I did different, but I seemed to find a more comprehensive buttons list and that was still on "select". Changed it to "X" and jobs a goodun. :)

Ok, one more wrinkle to iron out. On DVD there's the "soft" buttons on the screen. But only "Menu" is in bold, "top menu" is in feint (like it's there, but not operative). And when I push "Menu" it takes me back to the top menu. So I need to configure "top menu" and I need to re-configure the "menu" button to take me to "menu", not to "top menu".

Any thoughts?

7. Ari

Ari
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, scrap that too, I think it was the DVD I was trying.

On Mamma Mia, when you hit menu it goes right back to the very top menu and starts at the very beginning (frustratingly). Just tried a 007 DVD and on that "menu" drops it straight to the proper main menu, much better.

So I think it was just a weird anomaly of the film I was initially using rather than a function problem.

8. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Yes, discs behave differently from one to the next!
    You may have been customising in Devices instead of Activities earlier.