PS3 controller charging dock?

curveball

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a charging dock for the PS3 please? Ideally I am looking for one which comes with its own power supply so isn't reliant on being plugged into the PS3. Or are there any which will still charge when plugged into the PS3 which is on standby? I have read that some need the PS3 to be actually turned on (not standby) to charge.

So those that own a dock your thoughts please.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a charging dock for the PS3 please? Ideally I am looking for one which comes with its own power supply so isn't reliant on being plugged into the PS3. Or are there any which will still charge when plugged into the PS3 which is on standby? I have read that some need the PS3 to be actually turned on (not standby) to charge.

So those that own a dock your thoughts please.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello, i recently picked up one of these below from asda for about £7, now it does charge from usb but i just keep it plugged into the back of my SKY+ usb port tucked away at the back instead of pluging it in to the front of the ps3. Im well happy with it for the price.

Prism Technology Limited

Another vote here: Picked mine up from PC world branded as an energizer (as in the battery people!).

less than £20 in store as I couldn't be bothered shopping online!

And another vote for the Pelican over here!

Looks great and does the job exactly as it should do. Plus the extra USB port means I can charge my headset up from it too... :thumbsup:

Hello, i recently picked up one of these below from asda for about £7, now it does charge from usb but i just keep it plugged into the back of my SKY+ usb port tucked away at the back instead of pluging it in to the front of the ps3. Im well happy with it for the price.

Prism Technology Limited

Great idea. :thumbsup:

Thanks all. Pelican it is plugged into either my Wii or Sky Box.

Anyone know best place to get one? They seem to be a bit thin on the ground!

Cheers all.

Hi all again. So let me get this straight. I could actually use the 2 USB ports on my wii whilst it is in standby to charge my controllers?

If you have not already got something....I have one of these from Game

Mains supply, charges two pads at once and there are two "extra" powered usb sockets on the back that I use to charge a DS and my BT headset:smashin:(when I used one!)

Lights up red when charging and blue when charge is complete..which is a bit cool, if you like that sort of thing:rotfl:

When my PS3 is off i just plug my controllers into my P.C usb ports on front of case and charge :smashin:

Another vote here for the Pelican. I have one and got one for my brother in law for a pressie. They are awesome, and do look very sweet as someone has already said.

Infact....I'll vote twice for them !

Another vote here for the Pelican. I have one and got one for my brother in law for a pressie. They are awesome, and do look very sweet as someone has already said.

Infact....I'll vote twice for them !

Same here absolute godsend.

Got one for sale in the classifieds if your interested?

R4z

I have the pelican too:

Pro's
* Separate wall powered supply means it can be completely independant of PS3 (so you CAN charge it overnight with the console switched off)
* 2 extra USB ports to allow 2 extra cables to charge 2 more controllers too (useful if you have 4)

Con's
* REALLY REALLY REALLY annoying and fiddly to "plug in" the controllers.....it can sometimes be exceedingly tricky to line up and "mate" the miniUSB male and female ports together :mad:
* Lights up bright red or green to show charging status......so bright they might as well use them as landing lights for runways :mad:, I can't sleep in my room with it on at all
* Ridiculously expensive for what is actually only a 4 port USB hub....only worth about a fiver imho rather than the £25ish selling price :eek:

Overall the only reason I recommend it is that I didn't pay for mine :D (pressie), if I had to again I'd instead get a powered 4 port USB hub (with psu) from fleabay for £3-4 and some extra USB->miniUSB cables for a quid or so instead......does exactly the same thing.

Hi all,

Just to let you know that I have decided to go with a suggestion on here and use the 2 USB ports on my wii to charge my controllers when the PS3 is off. Saves me at least £20 :thumbsup:

I use my Nintendo Wii (the only thing it's used for :rotfl:) as both usb sockets are powered when its on standby :smashin:

Hi all,

Just to let you know that I have decided to go with a suggestion on here and use the 2 USB ports on my wii to charge my controllers when the PS3 is off. Saves me at least £20 :thumbsup:

Good idea using the wii - I'll give that a try. I'm using this one:

Controller Dual Charging Dock (PS3): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

But it's gone up in price to £12 something, I paid £8.

Good idea using the wii - I'll give that a try. I'm using this one:

Controller Dual Charging Dock (PS3): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

But it's gone up in price to £12 something, I paid £8.

I am just going to connect my controllers direct to the wii via the usb cables, therefore I do not need a dedicated charger at all. There are 2 USB ports on the wii so I can charge both my controllers without the need for a dock (I have no intention of increasing the number of controllers).

Quick NOOB question, is there any problem with leaving the controllers plugged a mains powered USB hub longer than they need? I know they stop charging when they're full. But does it put any extra stress on the batteries or anything?

And why is my Avatar not showing as up-to-date trophies-wise?

And why is my Avatar not showing as up-to-date trophies-wise?

Click on your avatar and it'll lead to the US website. There'll be a refresh button there for you to click. If not, login and it'll be around there somewhere!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom