PS3 connectivity via ethernet

stefanr

I'm looking to take the plunge and get a PS3. One quick question for you guys.

If you have the PS3 connected to an internet router .i.e. cat5 can you connect via a PS3 IP address to another pc/mac?

Would be useful to have the PS3 come up on my desktop and be able to transfer movies etc to it.

Thanks in advance

maus

Novice Member
I'm looking to take the plunge and get a PS3. One quick question for you guys.

If you have the PS3 connected to an internet router .i.e. cat5 can you connect via a PS3 IP address to another pc/mac?

Would be useful to have the PS3 come up on my desktop and be able to transfer movies etc to it.

Thanks in advance
Not sure this approach will work and definatly know of no way to get a PS3 folder up on your desktop. However, You can share media from your PC / MAC over a network. So I suggest connect your PC/Mac & PS3 into the router. Then set up a media server application on the PC/Mac to share all of your media (Windows Media Player or Twonky etc).

Media which is compatible will then be playable on PS3.

stefanr

Not sure this approach will work and definatly know of no way to get a PS3 folder up on your desktop. However, You can share media from your PC / MAC over a network. So I suggest connect your PC/Mac & PS3 into the router. Then set up a media server application on the PC/Mac to share all of your media (Windows Media Player or Twonky etc).

Media which is compatible will then be playable on PS3.
Okay, I'll be using a mac OSX 10.4 as the server so what app can I download to achieve this, any links would be appreciated. Can't find anything on Twonky and just have the standard windows media player so not sure how to connect from the mac.

Sorry, bit of a noob here.

Bomer

Novice Member
When you plug it into the router, your PC asks you automatically if you want to use as a media sharing device, just choose yes if you're using WMP, then add files to windows media player library and you can find them on your PS3.

Not sure how it all works when using a mac though

marauder6666

Novice Member
Okay, I'll be using a mac OSX 10.4 as the server so what app can I download to achieve this, any links would be appreciated. Can't find anything on Twonky and just have the standard windows media player so not sure how to connect from the mac.

Sorry, bit of a noob here.
Download Medialink, works very well.

stefanr

Download Medialink, works very well.
Fantastic, found, downloaded, unzipped and activated within 2mins.

All I need now is my PS3, might need to pick your brain when I have it but knowing the Mac side a little should be a piece of......

While I'm here, any good new games I should look for? Was thinking GTAIV, GTA5pro, Assassins Creed, COD4 to get me started.

Bomer

Novice Member
Haze is out this month apparently, should be awesome.
GT5 Prologue is AWESOME! But it's not that big really, well compared to real GT games, but alot bigger than some other car games, well worth £20

I'm sorta addicted to Ridge Racer 7, prob can pick it up cheap now, but I'd never played it before last week and it's keeping me entertained atm :)

AC can get really repetitive, so if you don't like repetitive, avoid that.

COD4... Who doesn't love that? Especially online?

GTA IV - Not played this myself yet, mate has, he doesn't think it's as good as other GTA IV's, not as fun, but a bit more serious etc.