1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 compatibile with PS2 and Psone?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Sab, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I am sorry if this has been discussed before ... will the future PS3 be compatible with all the PS2 and PSone games? Also, is it coming out in Quarter 1 2006?

I know that the PS3 will be twice as powerful as the Xbox360, which will be coming out before this Christmas.

Thanks in advance

2. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS2 will be compatible, not sure about ALL games though. Also not sure about ps1. Although why you would want to is beyond me?

The PS3 is potentially more than twice as powerful as the XB360.

3. SeedyR

SeedyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    The PS3 will be able to play ps2 and ps1 games. The latest copy of MCV magazine even suggests a release could as late as the 1st quarter of 2007 in Eurupe. As for specs, on paper the ps3 is more powerful, but i wouldn't say anywhere near as double. At the moment, microsoft seem to have gone and shown the world everything and taken some stick, whereas sony are taking the smoke and mirrors approach. I feel they will be taking just as much stick, if not more nearer the ps3 launch as I don't think it will be anything like it is planned to be now.

4. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We haven't really seen the potential of the Xbox360 yet, maybe gears of war and a couple of others. The rest of the games are xbox rehashed for the 360 , so they don't really take full advantage of the 360 architecture.

The PS3 architecture is so radical it could be twice as powerful or more for SOME games as the 360, it;s just hard to say untill we see how programmers harness the SPEs in the cell.

Not every game will take full avantage of the CELL though.

I can see volumetric graphics like smoke effects and lightsourcing being able to blister on the cell.
    :thumbsup:

5. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Going back to PS2 & PS1 compatibility, how would you copy saved games from the magicgate PS2/1 memory cards to the PS3? I didn't think that the PS3 would support them? Do you think it would be some kind of USB dongle?