PS3 brightness changing / shifting / flickering with KDL-40W4500

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Already Taken, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Already Taken

Already Taken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've got a PS3 connected to a KDL-40W4500 via HDMI and I've noticed that when playing back media files I get variations in brightness on dark scenes. Watching something like 24 in HD it's quite noticable.

As the amount of light and colour in the picture changes you can see sudden step changes in brightness of the picture and the amount of colour as well. It looks like the TV is adjusting the settings to try and cancel out the change in source material. If you replay the same scene the step changes happen in the same place , and if I check the file on my PC it plays through just fine so it's not the source material.

I watched a Blu-Ray film last night with dark scenes and that didn't seem to be affected.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3/804059-ps3-dvd-playback-problems-brightness-flicker.html seems to be someone else with the same sort of issue , albeit on DVD playback rather than a media file and googling finds a fair few mentions of this type of thing but few soloutions.

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the PS3 or TV section as it seems to be just a combination of the two together as I don't get the same problem with a Sony DVD player on the same TV.

Has anyone else seen this sort of thing and got any suggestions?

2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    Check the options on the TV for a dynamic contrast setting - sometimes in the sony's advanced menus. This may be the cause, so try disableing it.

3. Already Taken

Already Taken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yep , that seems to be the likely culprit , but having had a look through the manual I can't see any way of turning it off.

It seems to do a useful job , but in a very ham-fisted and obvious fashion.