PS3 bluetooth borked?

winstano

Mmkay, first off I just wanted to get the word "borked" into a thread title :p

Anyways... My PS3's bluetooth seems to be playing up recently. At least twice now I've not been able to turn the console on using the PS button on the controller, having to turn it on manually then connect the controller via USB... The remote control doesn't work with it either...

The first time it happened was whilst playing GTA, I entered a multiplayer game (from using wireless controls) and then my characted just wouldn't move, I had to plug it in... Also, my headset wasn't working (jawbone)...

Anyone else had this issue? I'm hoping it doesn't involve a return to Sony as it's a 60GB model :(

Edit: It appears to be working again, but I don't have the foggiest why it cuts out... Anyone got any ideas?

tdtm82

Novice Member
The first time it happened was whilst playing GTA, I entered a multiplayer game (from using wireless controls) and then my characted just wouldn't move, I had to plug it in... Also, my headset wasn't working (jawbone)...

Anyone else had this issue? I'm hoping it doesn't involve a return to Sony as it's a 60GB model :(

Edit: It appears to be working again, but I don't have the foggiest why it cuts out... Anyone got any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Have you tried other games? Or exciting the game and then shutting down? Mine works fine when I use it. Make sure your wireless controllers are charged enough first. Thee should be a power icon flashing when you inset it in the usb port.

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
Mmkay, first off I just wanted to get the word "borked" into a thread title :p

Anyways... My PS3's bluetooth seems to be playing up recently. At least twice now I've not been able to turn the console on using the PS button on the controller, having to turn it on manually then connect the controller via USB... The remote control doesn't work with it either...

Edit: It appears to be working again, but I don't have the foggiest why it cuts out... Anyone got any ideas?

I had exactly the same problem over this weekend, although I was not playing GTA, the machine was sat idle on the XMB screen. Its never happend before. BluRay remote stopped working, had to re sync the controllers via USB. The remote started working for no apparent reason............odd.

pxr5

I had this problem with a brand new PS3. But the disconnections were constant with either the BR remote or the controller. I tried everything to try to eliminate interference, but to no avail. I eventually had it replaced by Sony and has been fine ever since. There is a thread here about it:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651767

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I remember reading that thread. Mine is different though, as it has happend only once, but it logged me out of the PSN too (when I logged back on). I use my blu ray remote quite a bit and have never had this before and only happend once, it must just be interference.

winstano

Hmmm... Unless I go for that extra service thing that Sony do (Can't remember what it's called) then I'm gonna have to fork out for a replacement, as I'm outside the warranty period :(

As I say though, it's working fine right now, it's just a case of "how long".

It's happened twice now, once when playing a game (GTA) and once when just trying to turn on the console, it's an odd one.

pxr5

Maybe it is interference then. Have you tried the obvious things. Wireless networks, phones etc. When I had my issues I had everything off in my house that could possibly transmit, despite my problem turning out to be the PS3 itself.

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
Hmmm... Unless I go for that extra service thing that Sony do (Can't remember what it's called) then I'm gonna have to fork out for a replacement, as I'm outside the warranty period :(

As I say though, it's working fine right now, it's just a case of "how long".

It's happened twice now, once when playing a game (GTA) and once when just trying to turn on the console, it's an odd one.
If you do need a replacement. Uee the sale of goods act with the retailer. 12 Months is NOT an acceptable length of time for a £400-500 peice of equipment to last. There is a big thread on the 360 forums

Link

If the retailer will not budge, try Sony, they are usually pretty good (or try Sony first)

I

irbdavid

I've had this happen fairly frequently. It's frustrating. It's definitely gotten worse over the last few months, but seems to have reached a plateau. Nothing else seems to be wrong with my PS3.

I guess it could be a placement issue - My PS3 is fairly close to my Amp, just to the left of it.

Debating whether to try and get sony to replace it before my warranty expires in about 5-6 months.

winstano

I'm trying to think what could be interfering... My PS3 sits in its own little cubby hole (well, top of a chest of drawers, plenty of ventilation around it, wired to the router), on top of which are my speakers, then my telly.. To the left of it on a separate unit I tend to have my iMac on (wired connection to my router), Occasionally have my Macbook (wireless), then as I say, I have a bluetooth remote, DS3, and headset on the bluetooth side of things... (Have a BT keyboard for the mac, decided to go with a wired mouse after a few issues initially with the PS3 and causing a bit of lag on the mouse etc)

The Atheist

I'm trying to think what could be interfering... My PS3 sits in its own little cubby hole (well, top of a chest of drawers, plenty of ventilation around it, wired to the router), on top of which are my speakers, then my telly.. To the left of it on a separate unit I tend to have my iMac on (wired connection to my router), Occasionally have my Macbook (wireless), then as I say, I have a bluetooth remote, DS3, and headset on the bluetooth side of things... (Have a BT keyboard for the mac, decided to go with a wired mouse after a few issues initially with the PS3 and causing a bit of lag on the mouse etc)
I had the same problem, its started in november and just got worse (more frequent) so i got sony to swap it. They were really good to deal with and like Legion states a reasonable lifespan of a product of this value is around 3 yrs so sony should sort you out. Its a problem specifically with the 60gb launch models (i think) so they know its an issue.

winstano

Cheers... If it keeps up I'll speak to Sony... I got it last April, so it shouldn't *really* be going wrong :( I'm not the best at having a go over the phone though, how would I bring that whole '3 years' thing up?

The Atheist

Cheers... If it keeps up I'll speak to Sony... I got it last April, so it shouldn't *really* be going wrong :( I'm not the best at having a go over the phone though, how would I bring that whole '3 years' thing up?
I wouldn't worry about the 3 yrs issue unless they refuse to replace it. Tell them the problem started in feb/march but you didn't think much of it until recently as its been getting worse, tell them you've spoken to a number of other people who have had the same problems too so you know its an issue with the 60gb models.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom