• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PS3 Blu Ray region coding

N

NeilA

Firstly, apologies if this is a repeat thread....

I have a Hong Kong PS3 which is obviously the same Blu Ray region as Japan (and the US?). Apparently some of the early movie releases here in the UK are region-free (but I haven't checked any). Can anyone confirm?

Is it likely that there will be a hack found to make the Blu Ray movie playback region-free? - as this is the only drawback I can see on importing, with the games being region free..

F

FullMetalAlchy

Firstly, apologies if this is a repeat thread....

I have a Hong Kong PS3 which is obviously the same Blu Ray region as Japan (and the US?). Apparently some of the early movie releases here in the UK are region-free (but I haven't checked any). Can anyone confirm?

Is it likely that there will be a hack found to make the Blu Ray movie playback region-free? - as this is the only drawback I can see on importing, with the games being region free..

I believe through wispers on the interent if you install Linux you can watch pal dvd's on your PS3, i presume a similar option will be available for BluRay Media

Decked

I have been told the games are region free, regading the blu-ray.... I'm trying to find this out as we speak.... I'm in HK and I can't quite understand what they were saying! I'm sure he said they are region free but may have issues in the future....:confused:

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
These are the BD region codes:

Region 1: North America, South America, East Asia except for China (India, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia etc.)

Region 2: Europe and Africa

Region 3: China, Russia and other countries

Therefore the Hong Kong PS3 will be a different region to the Japanese PS3.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom