PS3 Blu-ray playback quality concerns....

Nikonian

Standard Member
I’ve just bought a Sony KLDV3000 46"LCD & Sony PS3, the PS3 is connected through HDMI (Monster cable) ONLY.
So far I’ve only played two movies, Superman returns and Babel, Both exhibited alarming amounts of noise IMO.
I’ve adjusted the noise (on/off) setting on the TV, and played with some of the settings on the PS3, unfortunately without success.
Of the two Babel was especially noisy IMO, but maybe I’m expecting too much of Blu-ray, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Perhaps I should also add, I’ve also displayed some of my ultra high resolution photographs through the PS3, and the quality was awesome, tack sharp and noise free.
Regards,

aniki

Hi,

Babel is a particularly grainy film regardless of playback medium so this may explain your findings.
Still images will always look superior with LCD technology as the full resolution of the panel is utilised. Only when images move will the image quality be at the mercy of the panels processing power.
Generally the PS3 is an extremely good quality player.
Have you performed any kind of calibration with this setup?
How is SD DVD playback?

Nikonian

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply,

No I haven't done any clibration at all, though I do own a Spyder2.
SD-DVD's look well though not as sharp and less noisy than HD.

Perhaps I'm being a tad picky, analysing hi-res photo images as I do on a day to day basis.

aniki

I would recommend having a good look at your display settings.
Start by getting everything set as neutral as possible & turn off any processing options as these often cause more harm than good.
You may well find some 'recommended' settings in the LCD forum.
Once you reach a point youre happy with I would certainly recommend trying out a range of titles.
Much like SD DVD, there is a huge variance in perceived image quality across the range of available titles. The worst culprits barely being noticeably different from their SD counterparts.

I've just bought a Sony KLDV3000 46"LCD & Sony PS3, the PS3 is connected through HDMI (Monster cable) ONLY.
So far I've only played two movies, Superman returns and Babel, Both exhibited alarming amounts of noise IMO.
I've adjusted the noise (on/off) setting on the TV, and played with some of the settings on the PS3, unfortunately without success.
Of the two Babel was especially noisy IMO, but maybe I'm expecting too much of Blu-ray, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Perhaps I should also add, I've also displayed some of my ultra high resolution photographs through the PS3, and the quality was awesome, tack sharp and noise free.
Regards,

Couldn't read your original post, because it has [Font] written all over it...Try turning the sharpness down on your TV. I have read that LCD TV's actually over sharpen an image, thus removing the Anti Alias.

ani4ani

Couldn't read your original post, because it has [Font] written all over it...Try turning the sharpness down on your TV. I have read that LCD TV's actually over sharpen an image, thus removing the Anti Alias.

Absolutely agree with the Sharpness comment. I was pretty dismayed at the quality from my PS3 and HCPC...someone suggested looking at the screen sharpness setting and indeed with a little tweaking it transformed the picture.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom