PS3 Blu-Ray Audio

A

Apothis

Wasnt sure if this should go in the PS3 section, or the blu-ray one, so I picked here :)

Watched my 1st blu-ray film last night (Eight Below), and played around with the audion a little bit. I'm outputting audion via the PS3 optical out, so I know I'm limited to 2.0 when playing uncompressed PCM, but to me, the uncompressed PCM, run through DTS NEo6 matrixing sounded better than the DD track (those are the only 2 options for sound on this disk) which surprised me, I thought the 5.1 soundtrack, even at a much lower bitrate would sound better. Anyone else finding this? or is it just me?

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
Wasnt sure if this should go in the PS3 section, or the blu-ray one, so I picked here :)

Watched my 1st blu-ray film last night (Eight Below), and played around with the audion a little bit. I'm outputting audion via the PS3 optical out, so I know I'm limited to 2.0 when playing uncompressed PCM, but to me, the uncompressed PCM, run through DTS NEo6 matrixing sounded better than the DD track (those are the only 2 options for sound on this disk) which surprised me, I thought the 5.1 soundtrack, even at a much lower bitrate would sound better. Anyone else finding this? or is it just me?

No your not the only one i'm finding PCM via optical running in pro logic II better than the DD 5.1 track, the DD 5.1 has better splitting of the channels and better use of the surround speakers but it can't match the PCM for audio quality, i have played music based DVD's both in 5.1 and PCM and found the PCM to be of higher quality producing a more clearer and punchier sound, the PCM audio was running at 1.5Mb while the 5.1 track was running at 786Kb.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom