PS3 blu ray audio help

skyliner34

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok heres my setup.

My Slim PS3 is connected to a HDMI switcher box and a optical lead from switcher box into my Sony VA555ES amp. Its a old amp, but I haven't upgraded as it sound brilliant. But of course over optical and amp age no HDMI I cant have the PS3 sending out TrueHD audio tracks from Blu-Ray.

I've tried manually setting up the PS3 sound output to tell it I cant decode dolby TrueHD, & DTS-HD by unselecting them from the audio output setting. But what the PS3 does then is send out the DTS, or Dolby Digital 5.1 & Dolby Plus to decode. Which works fine, but how do I get the PS3 not to do that and decode the HD ones onboard and send that out over HDMI as Linear PCM. Im sure the original PS3 which couldn't send the HD out over HDMI decoded them on the PS3 and sent it out.

Ive tried changing the BD audio to Linear PCM instead of bitstream and it sends out multichannel PCM, but I have no bass, its like the .1 audio has disappeared.

Help!?

Last edited:
Ok heres my setup.

My Slim PS3 is connected to a HDMI switcher box and a optical lead from switcher box into my Sony VA555ES amp. Its a old amp, but I haven't upgraded as it sound brilliant. But of course over optical and amp age no HDMI I cant have the PS3 sending out TrueHD audio tracks from Blu-Ray.

I've tried manually setting up the PS3 sound output to tell it I cant decode dolby TrueHD, & DTS-HD by unselecting them from the audio output setting. But what the PS3 does then is send out the DTS, or Dolby Digital 5.1 & Dolby Plus to decode. Which works fine, but how do I get the PS3 not to do that and decode the HD ones onboard and send that out over HDMI as Linear PCM. Im sure the original PS3 which couldn't send the HD out over HDMI decoded them on the PS3 and sent it out.

Ive tried changing the BD audio to Linear PCM instead of bitstream and it sends out multichannel PCM, but I have no bass, its like the .1 audio has disappeared.

Help!?

Optical or coax S/PDIF can only carry 2 channels of LPCM. Hence you can't decode 5.1 DTS or DD and output 5.1 channels of LPCM via S/PDIF.

If you want 5.1 channels via a single S/PDIF channel your only option is bitstream i.e. DTS, DD etc. otherwise is a 2 channel mix of some type.

Avi

Thanks for that. I only have 2ch setup anyway. Is there a way for the PS3 to down mix all channels(5.1, 7.1) of the HD tracks into 2ch stereo. At the moment I don't get the bass channel or the mid channel when I get the PCM stream

Thanks for that. I only have 2ch setup anyway. Is there a way for the PS3 to down mix all channels(5.1, 7.1) of the HD tracks into 2ch stereo. At the moment I don't get the bass channel or the mid channel when I get the PCM stream

Not sure how much benefit this would offer over allowing the receiver to decode full bit rate DTS. The vast majority of Blu-ray movies are 48KHz same as DVD so not "HD" i.e. 88.2Khz, 96KHz, 192KHz etc. DTS HD MA etc offers lossless compression, higher bit rate potential and the capability for more 5.1 channels. That doesn't necessarily translate in to a huge difference to the lossy version assuming the same mix is being compared.

Last edited:

By the sounds of it, not going to be possible for me without a HDMI input amp. I've had a Denon 1911 amp which did decide them. To be honest the non dts-HD etc sounds better on my sony va555es anyway. I just thought it would be nice to be able to use the latest formats.

Oh well worth a punt :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom