PS3 Blu-ray,any good

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by idolm, Sep 15, 2007.

1. idolm

idolm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi :hiya:Sorry if this question,or a similar question has been asked before.

I have a PS3 connected to my Pan 26LXD70 via HDMI.I have been looking at the latest SONY Blu-ray machines,with the possibility of purchasing one very soon.

Now the question,just how good is the PS3 as a Blu-ray DVD player?.Do I really need to buy a dedicated Blu-ray player?.

Like most out there I am new to Blu-ray.Thanks.

Cheers:thumbsup:

2. SeanMc172

SeanMc172
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    PS3 Blu-Ray playback is of a very good quality at both 1080i & 1080p,
    We own a Toshiba HD-DVD Player and it often comes down to the quality of the movie your playing. Batman looks fantastic on HDDVD, My favourite movie for hd-dvd picture quality is a BLU-Ray movie called Black Snake Moan starring samuel l Jackson. Hands down beats anything I have seen on either format.

I really do not think you will be able to tell the notice between a samsung BLU-Ray and PS3

3. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    The PS3 is great as a Blu-Ray and upscaling DVD player.

4. idolm

idolm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello SeanMc172 and CarlB:hiya:

Thanks for the help.I will make do with the PS3 for now.£500-£600 seems a lot for a Blu-ray player,when I have one all ready.Nice thought,but I will wait for the prices to drop.

Once again thanks for your help;

Cheers ,mike:thumbsup:

5. matt78

matt78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    However, we have done an A/B side by side comparison between PS3 playing blu-ray and the BDP-S1E and, whilst the PS3 makes a pretty good go at it, the picture quality was clearly better from the dedicated player. There was slight graininess in the PS3 that just wasn't evident with the BDP-S1E. I recently installed a BDP-S1E with a 46X2000 for a customer and the picture quality was awesome. BDP-S300 will bring much of that quality down to a new lower price point whilst BDP-S500 should raise the game again. We'll have to wait and see - the proof, as always, will be in the pudding!

6. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    I found that Sony standalones do produce slightly better PQ than the PS3 (@ fw 1.8) assuming the display can show the very slight difference (I suspect the OP would lose this slight difference due to display scaling/screen size). However, the current standalones are slow to operate and very, very slow with BD-J titles. It takes the S300 just under 3 minutes to to reach the first Disney logo with the POTC Dead Mans Chest US title if you power the player up with the disc in. By comparison the PS3 takes 43 seconds with the same test. That's an extreme example but as BD-J titles become the norm this will be a bind.

There are pro's and con's to each but personally I would stay away from the standlones until a player arrives that is at least compliant with the final standard profile and achieves acceptable levels of operational perfromance with BD-J titles.

I'm sure anybody going PS3 will not be disappointed with the PQ or operational performance.

AVI

7. Max N

Max N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Matt78
    What connection were you using, and could you give any more details about the A/B test?
    Thanks