PS3 Blu-Ray analogue output

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Reaction score
Just stumbled accross this:

http://news.spong.com/article/10379/Massive Leaked Internal PlayStation 3 QA

Is supposedly an insider QA session on the PS3 spec etc etc. Not sure how true it will turn out to be but something that grabbed my attention:

High quality HD images can be enjoyed equally with the 20GB HDD product via the AV multi port (1080p output is also possible with the TV equipped with the D5 input). Analog output from BD will be supported until 2011 and all software published until they can be enjoyed.

Not sure if 1080p is limited to D5 connections which are few and far between on these shores. But I do wonder if other Sony BD players might do analogue HD too...

But I do wonder if other Sony BD players might do analogue HD too...
It's hardware optional but I would suspect every high def player will do the same (from high def sources). Both HD DVD and BluRay support forced downscale but that is a software flag - if it's enabled then it will downscale, if not it will output at high res.

should do. The Toshiba HDDVD player does.

Its all reliant on the ICT flag not being set, which limits component output to 540p. There seems to be some tentative agreement to delay using the ICT flag until 2011, meaning we'll be free to enjoy HD over component until then.

Hopefully by then there will be so many people using component, that the studios will never be able to set ICT.

Looking closer the quote mentions HD analogue output, and seperately analogue BD output, but not HD analogue BD output!

Looking closer the quote mentions HD analogue output, and seperately analogue BD output, but not HD analogue BD output!
To be expected. For games high def output over component is guaranteed. For BluRay it's dependant upon the flag. Of course, in order to shift standalones, it always possible Sony may introduce compulsory downscaling over the component output for BluRay playback on the PS3! :devil: I doubt it though.

I'd be more interested if they had something to say about analogue audio outputs. The more I hear about the quality of Dolby TrueHD, the more I want that into my 5.1 inputs on my receiver.

richard plumb said:
I'd be more interested if they had something to say about analogue audio outputs. The more I hear about the quality of Dolby TrueHD, the more I want that into my 5.1 inputs on my receiver.

I don't think you will be seeing that on PS3.

The analogue output looks to be the same standard Multi-AV connector seen on both PS1 and PS2. So you can get component cables easily enough but (I think) the sound is analogue stero only.

Could you imagine a cable with NINE phono plugs on the end, BTW ???? :eek:

TrueHD will probably be via HDMI on the premium model only (either converted to PCM or possibly raw data pass through).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom