PS3 back up question

F

Flashharry

I have bought a replacement 320 HDD for my PS3, and I would like to get the saved games off the existing PS3 HDD. I have another external HDD, but I use it for backing up my PC so I don't think it can be reformated without losing all my PC data?

I was wondering if I could just recase my PS3 60 GB HDD and down load the data onto the new PS3 320 HDD ? If so where can I get a HDD case?

I'm not very PC savy so appologies in advance if this is total rubbish :oops:

Kingsd316

i got this one
Sumvision USB2.0 Black Caddy for upto 250GB 2.5 SATA Hard Drives - Retail - Ebuyer
Works well with the 60gb
Just a thought but this is what i did:

Format my new 320 WD HDD to Fat32 using the Above Caddie
Use USB caddie and plug the 320gb into the PS3
Back up onto the 320gb
Copy the back up files from the 320gb to my laptop
Remove my 60gb Hdd from PS3
Put new 320gb HDD into PS3, let that reformat the drive
format the 60gb to fat32
copy the back up file from my PC to 60gb HDD
restore back up from 60gb HDD using the USB caddie

Hope that make sense

cols

Novice Member
You can't put your old hdd in a caddy as an external drive needs to be formatted fat32 in order for the ps3 to use it.

Afaik you should be able to set up a partition in your current external drive so that your pc back up stuff is separate, and you have a fat32 partition in there for your ps3 back up. How to do that though is beyond my ken!

Incidentally you may want to get a caddy anyway in order to make use of the old hdd once you've taken it out, ie so you have another external drive, handy for ps3 backups.

Edit- kingsd's solution is also a good way around it if an external drive isn't available, a few people on here have done it that way :thumbsup:

Last edited:
F

Flashharry

i got this one
Sumvision USB2.0 Black Caddy for upto 250GB 2.5 SATA Hard Drives - Retail - Ebuyer
Works well with the 60gb
Just a thought but this is what i did:

Format my new 320 WD HDD to Fat32 using the Above Caddie
Use USB caddie and plug the 320gb into the PS3
Back up onto the 320gb
Copy the back up files from the 320gb to my laptop
Remove my 60gb Hdd from PS3
Put new 320gb HDD into PS3, let that reformat the drive
format the 60gb to fat32
copy the back up file from my PC to 60gb HDD
restore back up from 60gb HDD using the USB caddie

Hope that make sense
would I need any cabling to connect it to the usb?

Kingsd316

would I need any cabling to connect it to the usb?
Not if you purchased the caddie i posted above as that come with the usb cable, you will need 2 spare usb slots on your ps3 cause the caddie doesnt have an independent power supply so needs 2 to power it

F

Flashharry

Not if you purchased the caddie i posted above as that come with the usb cable, you will need 2 spare usb slots on your ps3 cause the caddie doesnt have an independent power supply so needs 2 to power it
Have just bought the caddie you recommended, many thanks.:thumbsup:

vtecsilver

Standard Member
If you only want to backup your gane saves, I would suggest buying a cheap but known brand USB pen drive.

Last edited:

DaveEllis130

Novice Member
Hello all.

If you want to create a FAT32 partition on external hard drive, google search for an application called "swissknife". its free, i used it (xp) for my 500gb seagate external. Easy to use. Hope this is useful - my first post ever.

cols

Novice Member
:hiya: hello there!

Another handy one, for formatting over 32gb drives to fat32 (windows won't let you), is the fat32format.exe tool, free download and instructions if you do the following search-
"ridgecrop consultants fat32 format" - it's the first result in a google search.

Apparently it's the guy who invented / designed fat32 (or something)... :smashin:

sunnybacon

:hiya: hello there!

Another handy one, for formatting over 32gb drives to fat32 (windows won't let you), is the fat32format.exe tool, free download and instructions if you do the following search-
"ridgecrop consultants fat32 format" - it's the first result in a google search.

Apparently it's the guy who invented / designed fat32 (or something)... :smashin:
+1 on that, I mentioned that tool in a post somewhere else today, it's brilliant and easy to use :thumbsup:

akhlaq768

this program is excellent,

i formatted my drive FAT32....

what is the name of the folders i have to create

this is what i done, is it correct?

PS3 > MUSIC
PS3 > VIDEO
PS3 > PICTURE
PS3 > GAME

is this right? the core folder is called PS3!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom