Ps3 avchd files help

mickymcd

Hi just trying different formats on the ps3 ive managed to get hold of some movies in the format of AVCHD 1 of the files is 7.91gb big i managed to burn that onto a dual layer disc using image burn.Thing is ive got another file which is 7.97gb big im unable to burn this to disc as it says its 16mb over to burn so i purchased a 16gb usb drive i formatted it using fat32 but tried dragging to the usb flash drive but it says file too big to fit on the thing help!!?.:rolleyes:

vwdubman

AFAIK it's because of FAT32. The single file limit is 4Gb.

As for transferring your AVCHD files, will your burning software let you overburn?

Axum

Distinguished Member
FAT32 cannot support single files > 4GB.

Choices are :

1. Stream (copy) it across to the PS3 HDD and play from there
2. Stream when wired-in to the PS3, playing off the PC
3. Split the file and copy the single pieces, but then you'll have to stop and start playback.
4. As said above, overburn the DVD, i'm sure it'll fit if it's specifically a PS3AVCHD file.

Just mention files in future as you're close to getting this thread deleted.

mickymcd

Cheers guys ill try a different burning software i just hope sony make the ps3 play bigger files in the future :smashin:

mickymcd

Cheers Axum i allways have problems streaming stuff maybe my router not good enough it allways plays choppy i just wish i could plug my external hard drive in full of hd wmv films like i can do on my xbox360.Plus ps3 fussy on sound codecs too :mad:.

Axum - what server do you use to stream the "files" and what folder / file structure do you use please?

Choices are :

3. Split the file and copy the single pieces, but then you'll have to stop and start playback.
4. As said above, overburn the DVD, i'm sure it'll fit if it's specifically a PS3AVCHD file.

holbrook99

ive got a file on my ps3 over 7.5gb large and i want to get it onto my ps3..its a file that was converted from mkv to mpeg through mkvtovob software...i have no idea how to stream stuff as i usually just use my usb stick to transfer stuff over but this is too big...can somebody give me the best option as its a file for the kids and they are nagging my ears off for me to puut it on ps3 for them.

thanks

micol

Standard Member
ive got a file on my ps3 over 7.5gb large and i want to get it onto my ps3..its a file that was converted from mkv to mpeg through mkvtovob software...i have no idea how to stream stuff as i usually just use my usb stick to transfer stuff over but this is too big...can somebody give me the best option as its a file for the kids and they are nagging my ears off for me to puut it on ps3 for them.

thanks

Just burn it onto a dual layer DVD (if you have a dual layer burner). I usually use mkv2vob and convert to vob then burn with nero to DVD-ROM (UDF) which works fine. otherwise your only choice is splitting it into 2x standard DVD-R's or streaming.

Axum

Distinguished Member
If you don't have any DL DVD's and don't want to split it, then Windows Media Player is your easiest option...

Just make the folder where the .mpg resides shared by adding it to your media library, then the PS3 should see this folder and you can copy it over.....that is of course assuming you CAN stream...

Lee : I use WMP11 to stream/copy, i don't use any particular folder structure, i just add my parent folder where i dump my transcoded files in to be shared out and hey presto...they appear on the PS3..

Is there any conversion of the M2TS files, or simply a rename...the reason why I ask is that a simple rename causes the file to appear and play in the media player, but crashes the media server on the PS3.

If you don't have any DL DVD's and don't want to split it, then Windows Media Player is your easiest option...

Just make the folder where the .mpg resides shared by adding it to your media library, then the PS3 should see this folder and you can copy it over.....that is of course assuming you CAN stream...

Lee : I use WMP11 to stream/copy, i don't use any particular folder structure, i just add my parent folder where i dump my transcoded files in to be shared out and hey presto...they appear on the PS3..

holbrook99

well that sounds simple mate and thats definatley the option i want to take, but not getting on very well trying to add files to the library on wmp?? there is an option that says add files and it searches my pc for files and then it says found 700+ files but library is empty??

edit: scrap that i added the files to my documents/my videos and now wmp lists them in the library...however now i cant see them on ps3, i have enabled the media connection on ps3 and ensured that wmp is running but when i search for media servers on ps3 it searches and then just says something along the lines of "ps3 disconnected from media server" and then when i try again i get logged out of ps network altogther and have to re sign in???

really hope you can help

Last edited:

simpsod1

Choices are :

Re item 3 -

tsmuxer and mkv2vob split the files into sizes of your choice - there is a setting on the xmb for continous playback that when enabled plays back the seqments in sequence (almost seemlessly from usb) I recently did this with a 4.9gb hancock hd file.

Hope this helps

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom