Ps3 Audio Streaming With Onkyo 605 Assistance

pricklespons

Good evening,

Im not sure if this should go in the onkyo section or the ps3 section so i thought i would put it in both.

The problem is this:

When streaming audio from my PC to my PS3 on out through my Onkyo amp - i only get the option to change the amp to "direct audio", "pure audio" and "multi-channel" - i do not get any of the other music pre-sets like NEO6 or All Channel Stereo etc etc.

My friend has exactly the same set up as me and has confirmed that he can still select all the music options from the Amp.

Does anybody if there is an option in the PS3 that i need to select (in order to bitstream?? the audio to the amp so the amp can change its pre-sets. At the moment even if i just try to select the stereo button on the remote, the amp flashes up "multi channel Engaged"

Or is there a function in the Amp I have to change.

Any assistance would be most appreciated as this is driving me nuts!!! :suicide:

kingbal

When you set up the audio output on yr HDMI, have you got all the boxes ticked up to but not inlcuding the 5.1 options?

pricklespons

everything is ticked on the ps3 sound options.

The amp let me choose from three options which are "pure audio", "direct audio" and "multichannel" - these are the only three options i can bring up just when i am the PS3 main menu also.

The multichannel comes up when i play bluray with true had or dts master etc, but thats because the ps3 is doing the decoding.

I would have thought that shouldnt be the case when im streaming music?? or is it??

It is very annoying, because at the moment i cant play any music streamed from my pc through all 4 satalite speakers - which I thought should have been a straightforward thing to do.

kingbal

Well as i said, try ticking all up to but NOT including the 5.1 settings. I think its like the top 6 or 7 options. I remember a while back having this problem with my amp and a guy from the sony forum sorted me out - I tick em all for blurays and the ones i've said above for games n music. Its worth a shot and you'll deffo get it working sooner or later. Dont worry man!

pricklespons

Sorry, i see what you mean now, will check it out and let you know!!

ljphil78

so are you saying everytime you switch between playing 5.1 movies and games / music you go into the audio settings and un/tick the appropriate output settings, sounds like a lot of hassel!

kingbal

so are you saying everytime you switch between playing 5.1 movies and games / music you go into the audio settings and un/tick the appropriate output settings, sounds like a lot of hassel!

Actually i think its just blu-rays. I get 5.1 from games and dvd's with those settings and i've not really got into buying regular blurays yet so not a big problem for me.

I take it you don't have to go through this malarkey?

ljphil78

no but thats probably because i dont listen to much music through the ps3 it's mainly tv shows films and games so never really worried about it, i have connected a cd player up to the 605 via optical for if i do though :) sounds like another update for sony to add to the next firmware release :D

kingbal

Ha yep add it to the ever growing list. To be honest, I only listen to music on my front two speakers anyway, don't like listening to music in 5.1 really. Oh well hope you get it sorted

pricklespons

Thanks for your responses, the unchecking of the 5.1 box doesnt seem to assist, but i will continue to fiddle!!

BigTone

If you connect your PS3 to the amp via HDMI (and set your PS3 to LPCM) then the amp options will indeed by Pure Audio, Audio and Multichannel. This is because the PS3 is converting the audio in 5.1 to Multichannel and send that over to your amp, so the options for Dolby etc are not avaialble as the sound is already in 5.1.
However, if you send over any 2 channels of audio to your amp, you can make the amp 'convert up' the audio using the audio processing chip, but thats going to mash your sound.
If you switch your PS3 to output in Bitstream mode, then your amp gets to take over the sound processing, but the available options are dependant upon the sourec material.

Hope that helps

BT

lisbonlion

As stated by BigTone the PS3 is sending the audio as multi-channel, the amp does not need to do any processing, if you do not like the sound you get just change it to bitstream

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom