PS3 Audio Questions

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by jp_bl_68, Feb 9, 2009.

1. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    I've got my PS3 connected to a Samsung via HDMI. I know the PS3 has a digital/optical audio output but can I use the AV cable that came with the console to output sound (just using the left and right audio connected to some speakers)? If so, would this cause any problems if I'm also using the HDMI cable for video?

2. clc.sheff

clc.sheff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,874
    I'm pretty sure you are fine with this. Just set the audio out to av-multi and job done. You will not get sound through the HDMI though at the same time. :smashin:

Edit: I was thanked too soon! Didn't spot you were planning to plug directly into speakers. maybe you have a ghetto blaster somewhere with an input? or a ipod docking sterio thingy? could go from tv headphone socket but might as well get an adapter to go straight from the phono plugs to whatever. Obviously an amp and speakers is best if not wanting surround sound

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  3. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    Cheers.

4. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    It will be very very soft ! This is a 'Preamp' output. You will need an amplifier to hear it. You can't just connect it to speakers direct, sorry.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  5. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    So would I be better off connecting the speakers to the TV by the headphone socket and have the PS3 use the HDMI for sound?

Both the console and the TV have digital/optical audio outs, would I be better off connecting speakers to one of those (I don't need surround sound, decent stereo speakers will be fine)?

6. MichaelGL

MichaelGL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    i'd suggest investing in a 2.1 system if you have the money, it will be noticeably better than the tv speakers

Onkyo HTX22HD can be bought for about £200 and that supports HD audio

7. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    I was going to buy some PC speakers, Creative Gigaworks T20 (or possibly T40) Series II, as they've had some very good reviews and don't cost a small fortune. I don't really know anything about speakers but I was attracted to these because they don't have a subwoofer (it's going to be set up in a small room so the less clutter the better). I've not heard them for myself yet, plan on testing them in store at the weekend, but apparently they produce decent bass without a sub.

What's the difference between 2.0 (which I believe the T20s are) and 2.1? All the 2.1s I've seen on Amazon have subwoofers, which I don't really want, not sure I'd benefit from it.

8. Grr Argh

Grr Argh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The ".1" does indeed mean it comes with a Subwoofer :)

9. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    You can't connect the audio output of your ps3 or your tv directly to speakers without an amp. There wouldn't be enough power to drive the speakers.
    You'll need an amp of some sort.

You could connect the red and white plugs (right and left) of the av multi cable, or your tv's phono output (red and white again), to a stereo amp.
    If you're not worried about surround sound this is your cheapest option, and will certainly sound much better than tv speakers.

Or if your budget can stretch to a couple of hundred, you could look at 5.1ch surround sound systems, if that interests you.
    You would connect your ps3 to the surround system with optical or hdmi.

10. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    OK, thank you. I think I'll have to do some more research.

edit: The TV I'm using is basically a PC monitor with a built in tuner, and the speakers are supposed to be very good for use with PCs. The speakers that I've been looking at use their own power supply, not that of the TV/console. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that there won't be enough power to drive the speakers. It's only a bedroom setup so I don't need anything spectacular.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  11. clc.sheff

clc.sheff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,874
    If your speakers are powered you will get sound without an amp. Dont be confused, it's just from your original post it looked like you were planning to plug straight into an unpowered speaker.

Do they have an input on each speaker or is there only one input on one speaker and then it feeds the signal to the other? If it's the second one I would assume its a headphone jack. You could get a phono to headphone jack and run straight from the ps3 to the speakers via the av-multi lead or like you say try running from the headphone out on the telly to the speakers with a headphone to headphone lead.

I'm not sure about using the optical out in your setup as I would have thought that the powered speakers wouldn't have an optical in on them.

Basically I would have thought that the order of quality of sound you would get would be like this:

HDMI to av amp best (which you don't have) > optical out (again I don't think you will have this option) > phono out straight to speakers or sterio > phono to sterio jack into speaker > phono to tv and headphone out to speakers or even headphones!

There might not be a massive difference between the last two but I always assume with sound the less things connected in the chain the better. However you might want to connect it through the tv to allow you to adjust the sound (bass, treble etc) but I don't know what you can adjust on the speakers / tv :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  12. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Yep those little pc speakers have an amp built in to them. You'll probably need a phono to 3.5mm jack adaptor, connect the av multi cable to your ps3 and to the adaptor, connect that to the pc speakers, configure ps3 to output audio over av multi, job done. :smashin:

13. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    You connect to one speaker and then that connects to the other one. There's no optical but it should come with a phono adapter. As I only want stereo and I don't want to spend a lot of money I don't think it's worth looking at optical speakers (might get some surround sound headphones at some point, I'd probably need some kind of optical adapter for that).

I think I'll get one of those Creative speaker systems and connect via phono. Cheers for all the help.

14. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    Speaker query here:

I've just received my PS3 and am trying to use the Logitech Z-2300 speakers, along with a Sharp LCD LC32D44E.

So do I connect the PS3 to tv via HDMI then the red and white composite cable that came with the PS3, into the adapter for the speakers (ie into the speakers)? Is this the best way to get decent 2.1 sound from this set? Are there any settings I should be worried about, other than configuring output audio on ps3 menu to av multi (as said above)?

Also a rather silly question: when it says left speaker, does it mean left when facing the tv/speakers or left from the rear?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  15. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    left/right means, as you are facing the tv/speakers.
    so you connect hdmi into the tv, ps3 composite cable into the ps,and the red/white parts into the game adaptor that comes with the 2300, then that into the speakers.
    then pick the "multi" setting for audio out on the ps3..pretty much what you posted.

16. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    Thanks for clearing it up :)