PS3 audio output settings?

oymd

Hello everyone...

Should I choose LINEAR PCM or BITSTREAM output in the A/V settings in the PS3?

The PS3 is connected to a DENON 1909 thru HDMI, and when i choose PCM, it shows MULTI CHANNEL INPUT on the Denon screen, when I choose BITSTREAM, the screen says DOLBY, DTS..etc..(whatever the source is encoded in), but the PS3 gives a warning that when choosing Bitstream, not ALL audio will be heard!!

What's that supposed to mean!!??

Best regards

awink1

Distinguished Member
Hello everyone...

Should I choose LINEAR PCM or BITSTREAM output in the A/V settings in the PS3?

The PS3 is connected to a DENON 1909 thru HDMI, and when i choose PCM, it shows MULTI CHANNEL INPUT on the Denon screen, when I choose BITSTREAM, the screen says DOLBY, DTS..etc..(whatever the source is encoded in), but the PS3 gives a warning that when choosing Bitstream, not ALL audio will be heard!!

What's that supposed to mean!!??

Best regards

Which PS3 do you have?

oymd

The regular 80GB older model.

I guess the newer slim PS3 decodes HD audio, so id will not show up as 'multichannel' but as proper Dolby, DTS, or whatever is on the bluray.....

I have read that somewhere....

But what i dont understand is:

1- What's the difference there to me as the listener?
2- What is this warning message I get from the PS3 when I choose BITSTREAM?
3- Choose PCM or BITSTREAM?

Many thanks...

DodgeTheViper

If you set your PS3 to LPCM, it will decode the HD audio track and output it over HDMI to your amp. The amp will then show this as 'multi channel in'.
You will then benefit from the HD audio tracks in DTS-MA or Dolby TruHD.

To listen in plain DD or DTS you need to switch the PS3 back again, then these will show as normal DD or DTS on your amp.

oymd

If you set your PS3 to LPCM, it will decode the HD audio track and output it over HDMI to your amp. The amp will then show this as 'multi channel in'.
You will then benefit from the HD audio tracks in DTS-MA or Dolby TruHD.

To listen in plain DD or DTS you need to switch the PS3 back again, then these will show as normal DD or DTS on your amp.
do you mean switching back the PS3 to BITSTREAM?

Many thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom