PS3 Audio Formats. Newbie good read!

psikey

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
While reading a couple of threads on here about audio formats I realised I didn't know a great deal about this aspect of the PS3 & audio formats in general.

While scouring the web I found a post on the web which really explained things for newbies so thought I'd post it (& link) for anyone else interested. I'm sure all this can be found by searching AVForums but sometimes it's usuful to have it all together without the need to search.

(Understand if this is not allowed & MODS need to remove)

There’s a lot of things the PS3 can do...and as we move into the next generation, there’s a lot of competition with what format looks better, which console can pump out the best visuals, and so on. While the jump from DVD to Blu-Ray or HD-DVD is pretty huge for those with capable HDTVs, the jump to next-gen audio has been rather quiet.

While the debate over which format can deliver the best visuals continues, there’s one thing that’s clear: Blu-Ray has an advantage in the audio department, delivering uncompressed PCM audio that’s unlike anything I’ve heard. Today I’ll show you how to get the next-gen codecs in your living room, what you’ll need, and what to watch out for.

What is Next Gen Audio?

With the new HD formats of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray come some audio formats that are new to home theater. Here’s the breakdown of previous and future codecs:

Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS: These are the standard codecs found on almost all DVDs. DD5.1 is common among new DVDs and games alike, and is the most widespread. DTS tracks are found on quite a few DVDs, and even a few games (GTA: Vice City for the PS2). All you need is an optical or coaxial cable to enjoy these formats, and most HD-DVDs and BD movies include a standard DD5.1 track.

DTS-HD Master Audio: This is the new DTS codec for the next gen formats. Every single Fox Blu-Ray release has a DTS-MA track...in fact, nearly all of them only have the DTS option. Now here’s the interesting thing: there is not a single product on the market today that supports DTS-MA. Even the PS3 can’t decode this codec at the moment, but the March firmware is confirmed to update the PS3 to DTS-MA specifications. Even with that in mind, you still need a reciever to decode DTS-MA, and there’s not one available right now. Heck, there’s no Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player on the market today that supports DTS-MA!

Here’s the good news: DTS-MA is simply converted to an improved DTS format read by virtually any player and receiver if the MA format isn’t supported. You’ll still hear the benefits of the DTS-MA track, but even moreso once the hardware is in place. Kudos to Fox for supporting a future proof codec that isn’t even supported on the market yet! (although all things considering, I’d still enjoy a PCM track more).

Dolby TrueHD: The standard codec found on all HD-DVDs but only a handful of Blu-Ray discs (well, just one BD title actually- Legends of Jazz). While this track is still compressed, it delivers a more robust audio experience that is a big step up from DD5.1. The HD-DVD drive for the 360 cannot support this codec due to lack of HDMI, but instead converts the format into DD5.1 that is still a step up, but not “TrueHD.” The PS3 does not support DTHD right now (it will be added via the March firmware) but instead converts the DTHD track into PCM 5.1 audio (only via HDMI). Basically both the 360 and PS3 support this codec, but not in a “true” sense for either console. Still sounds great regardless.

Uncompressed PCM 5.1: Found on a large number of Blu-Ray discs but not supported on HD-DVD, uncompressed PCM 5.1 is simply that: an uncompressed version of the film’s standard 5.1 to 7.1 soundtrack. While that doesn’t sound too exciting, believe me when I say PCM 5.1 is a joy to hear. I’ll post my own experiences in a second, but here’s what many reviewers of BD and HD-DVD discs have to say about PCM audio:

”Buena Vista continues to aggressively support uncompressed PCM soundtracks on its Blu-ray releases, and I say cheers to that. With so much talk about new audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD (which are indeed great, make no mistake), it is easy to forgot that plain ol' PCM can produce some the best sound around.”

”If you haven't heard uncompressed PCM you really don't know what you're missing. I haven't heard anything from DD, DD+, True HD or even DTSHD quite on the same level. Of course the later can currently only be based on hearing the core DTS on DTS MA tracks from Fox. And I'm not convinced that the TrueHD tracks that I've heard were the best the codec can do. Regardless, PCM has delivered the most transparent audio presentations I've ever heard even at 16bit. It's like listening directly to the master tapes. Or so I imagine.”

” Buena Vista rolls out the red carpet with an uncompressed PCM 5.1 surround track at 48kHz/16-bit. What impressed me most were the quietest moments...'Flightplan' definitely delivers some of the best atmosphere I've heard yet on a Blu-ray release.”

” I have little doubt that the uncompressed PCM 5.1 surround track on this disc easily stands shoulder-to-shoulder with the best soundtracks I've heard on either next-gen format.”

”PCM again lives up to the hype, preserving a broad, open transparency with newfound detail and clarity that DVD just can't touch.“

While DD5.1 tracks for DVDs have been compressed to fit, PCM audio allows them to breathe. It’s like listening to an MP3 you downloaded off Limewire & then listening to the same track on the original CD. Another comparison would be listening to a movie with earmuffs on, and PCM audio taking those muffs off, allowing you to hear subtle details like the rain pitter-pattering on the windshield, the hum of an elevator as it moves upwards...if you think I’m exaggerating, believe me, I’m not. It’s incredible how much uncompressed PCM turns your room into a living, breathing environment. It’s almost like going from 5.1 to 20.1.

So now that you know the codecs, let’s see how they get transferred.

The Audio Connection

There are three ways of hooking up your PS3 for audio: using RCA cables (red and white), using optical out, and using HDMI. I guess you could consider using a RF cable as a fourth choice, but if anyone has their PS3 hooked up in this method, I will track them down and destroy them.

RCA cables only allow for Dolby Pro Logic, which is what Wii owners will have to enjoy for the next four or five years until the next Nintendo system comes out. It “simulates” having surround sound without actually providing true tracks for each speaker. Some games on the PS3 (actually all of EA’s sports crapola) only support DPL.

Optical out can carry DD5.1 and DTS tracks to your receiver, providing a much clearer, enjoyable sound. I highly recommend using optical cable, as the results are VERY noticeable. Optical only has enough bandwidth for PCM 2.0 uncompressed, resulting in uncompressed stereo sound (stereo? Meh!). To get the full PCM 7.1 experience, you’ll need...

HDMI. This can carry the next gen audio formats such as DTS-HD MA, Dolby True-HD and uncompressed PCM 5.1-7.1 audio at a full bitrate. The only other method of getting these codecs is through analog out, which is not supported by any console on the market today (but is supported by stand alone HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players).

The nice thing about the PS3 is that you can choose to use component for your video out and HDMI for your audio (at least that’s how it should work in theory, as I cannot confirm this for sure).

So, now that you know all that, it’s time to dive into the more confusing part: the different specifications of HDMI.

The HDMI 1.3 Tech

Over the years there have been updates to HDMI, due to it’s digital nature and high bandwidth. The newest upgrade is 1.3, which results in all kinds of neat things that you can read about right here.

The fact is, many HDTVs don’t support 1.3 because of it being so new. Many receivers don’t support 1.3...well, actually, none do at the moment. In fact, the only thing on the market as of November that supports HDMI 1.3 is...the PS3.

If you plan on getting a new HDTV next year, it might be wise to put off buying that receiver as well. When you hook up your HDMI cable from your PS3 to your receiver, then hook up another HDMI cable from the receiver to the HDTV, you will gain the config of the weakest HDMI link in the chain. So, if you were to hook up your HDMI 1.3 PS3 to a receiver that only supports 1.1, then hook that up to a 1.3 HDTV, you’d only gain the 1.1 performance.

Another thing is that many of the cheaper receivers listed here do not support 1080p...you’ll need to invest in a higher-quality receiver that may range in the upper thousand area.

Now here’s the kicker: HDMI 1.3 is needed to get DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD. However, according to the official HDMI website, 1.3 isn’t actually required for these codecs:

”HDMI has the flexibility to transport these new high definition, lossless audio formats in either an uncompressed PCM stream, or as an encoded stream. PCM stands for Pulse-code modulation and it is a standard way to encode digital audio in computers, consumer electronics, CDs, DVDs, etc. Both Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD, as well as DTS Master HD bitstreams are transportable over all versions of HDMI as decoded PCM. HDMI supports the highest quality uncompressed PCM audio at 192kHz, 24 bits per sample.”

If you just have a SDTV, or an HDTV that only goes up to 1080i, then you’re more ready to invest in a HDMI receiver than most. So, let’s get started!

Receivers, Receivers, Receivers.

First off, make SURE that the receivers you’re looking at have HDMI-decoding capabilities. You do NOT want a receiver that only has pass through HDMI...it essentially carries the HDMI information from one device to another, without touching it. You want a receiver that has full HDMI decoding.

My receiver that I’ve gotten is the Onkyo 604 (~$375), though a cheaper choice is the Panasonic XR-57 (~$275). There’s a great thread on receivers right here.

The Benefits of HDMI-Audio

When I first booted my PS3 up in HDMI audio, I noticed a difference. It could be because I was using a low-end Sony receiver before, but everything sounded a bit sharper and clear. Keep in mind I only replaced the receiver; I was still using the same speakers and subwoofers.

The real difference came with Blu-Ray. I popped in Black Hawk Down, turned on uncompressed PCM audio, and sat back to see what this baby could do.

Audio is an interesting thing. When I first got my HDTV and saw the first image in 1080i, I could immediately see the difference. It was sharper, clearer, better, perhaps even three-dimensional. With audio, it’s not quite as evident the first time you hear it. When I heard uncompressed PCM audio in Black Hawk Down, I thought...yeah, that sounds pretty awesome. Then I stopped paying attention to the movie and focused directly on the sound, switching to Dolby 5.1 and PCM 5.1 to compare a scene every now and then.

The results are pretty amazing. When you’re in a helicopter and your speakers are outputting in standard compressed DD5.1, it sounds good. You can tell the rear surrounds have kicked in and it’s not much of anything aside from some ambient noise.

I had a friend over as I showed him that scene in DD5.1...he said, ok, yeah? And? Then I turned on PCM audio and replayed the scene. The results were clear...you were IN that helicopter as the blades whistled above and the hum of the huge engine over the ambient war noises in the distance, which had my friend say, “Whoa! We’re in the helicopter!” Indeed, if you were to close your eyes, it feels like you’re really there.

The funny thing is, PCM showcases all of the smaller scenes that you wouldn’t think of. Sure the action is intense all the more with PCM, but it’s even more clear just how good PCM is when nothing is happening. Take another scene in Black Hawk Down when the troop goes down a quiet alley, and a bullet hits a soldier’s gun that takes off a few fingers. In DD 5.1, it’s not an event at all aurally...but in PCM audio, you’ll hear the quiet alley and the footsteps of soldiers in the dirt until...QUA-PLANG! A huge striking sound of bullet to metal breaks the small silence and a gunbattle erupts. As soon as that happened, I thought, “now THAT’S what I’m talking about!”

So far the only Blu-Ray disc I own that has uncompressed PCM is Black Hawk Down, but I’m getting Enemy of the State and Lady in the Water next week. I’ll be sure to update the blog with more impressions of uncompressed PCM audio...but as it stands, it’s pretty amazing!

PCM/HD Codec Support

So, what Blu-Ray titles have next-gen audio? Well, it doesn’t actually vary from title to title...it varies from studio to studio.

Both Sony and Disney/Buena Vista have uncompressed PCM audio in all of their releases. You can absolutely count on any title from these two studios to have a smashing soundtrack. Fox is going the DTS-MA route...so far, most all of their titles only support this codec, even though current hardware doesn’t (but that doesn’t stop the titles from sounding great!).

Paramount hasn’t made the jump to any of the new formats, instead opting to just include the DVD 5.1 tracks over to the new next gen formats. While some titles still sound stellar (MI3) it’s still no excuse for their lagging behind.

Warner is in the middle of some controversy right now. All of their HD-DVD releases have Dolby TrueHD, but they’ve quietly dropped that track when making the same titles for Blu-Ray. Superman Returns, for example, has TrueHD on HD-DVD but only DD5.1 on Blu-Ray. Why?

Things are starting to turn around however. Their recent Sorpranos HD-DVD and Blu-Ray boxset has uncompressed PCM audio for BD, but oddly no HD audio support for HD-DVD. Whether or not this will carry over to their movies is unknown, but if they release Batman Begins with just a DD5.1 track on BD then there will be hell to pay for sure.

PCM, much like MPEG-2, is a space eater. Uncompressed tracks could go as high as 6-15GB of space on a BD disc...but this is no problem when studios use BD-50s for their format of choice. Some have made that jump, others are lagging behind...just make sure you read up on the info of a BD disc before making the plunge to buy!

Should I Make the Jump to HDMI Audio?

So that’s the main question...should you spend $300-400 dollars on a receiver for uncompressed PCM audio? It’s not too tough of a question. First, ask yourself...will you be using the Blu-Ray drive in the PS3 for movies? Do you plan on buying many BD titles in the near future? If the answer is no, then getting a HDMI receiver shouldn’t be a priority right now. I’m not sure what the technical limitations are for having uncompressed audio in games, but I’m willing to bet it’ll put a damper on hardware performance until devs can really get a hold of the PS3. It might be a year at the least before we see next-gen audio in games.

After asking those questions, ask yourself...are you willing to spend around $400 to have sound that is even better than current DVD audio? If the answer is yes, invest in a HDMI receiver. If you’re very happy with DD5.1 or DTS, then perhaps the investment can wait another day.

Me? I’m glad I made the plunge. I can now experience movies the way they were meant to be seen and heard...and it’s better than anything I’ve ever seen. Or heard.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47584

Thanks for that...interesting read. i will need to update my amp for the uncompressed side of things, but i still need one that can decode dts ha, when that option is unavailable so will still have to wait.

So I have been trying this morning to get the optical output from the PS3 into my media centre using an optical lead. So far all I get is stereo. If I select DTS 5.1 then i get nothing. So is there any software that will enable MCE to play 5.1

Great read. Very informative post.

@blobstrom, without wishing to state the obvious, but does your MCE support DTS? Have you tried DD5.1?

As the film only seems to output DTS or 2 channel, I'm quessing not, that's why I was wondering if there is software that will decode it or does it have to be hardware only.
I'm not actually using MCE, I'm just starting up windows and leaving it at that, I do have a RCA to 3.5mm stereo lead from the TV into the line in of the PC which allows stereo fine. I think also when I use optical spdif I am only getting 2 channels even the bass speaker does not works

P.S Yeah great post psikey :thumbsup:

Great info there!

Just wondering though....

As i posted earlier about uncompressed sound being forced out as 2 channels when playing PS3 games or listening to music....

If i want to get DD.5.1 again from games, i need to de select the uncompressed 5.1- 7.1 sound options in the HDMI settings......would it be better for me to switch back to BITSTREAM then instead of PCM?

Does it make much of a difference?

CHeers!

Music is 2 channels anyway - absolutely no point in trying to force that into 5.1. Most games are too... you'll get what the game supports.

OTOH if you're finding your amp is outputting uncompressed 5.1/7.1 as 2 channels you need to deselect those options.

The uncompressed audio is possibly the best advance in HC I have experianced since going from VHS to LD and experiancing 5.1 for the first time

As mentioned above its the little things - but the soundtracks I have listened to so far really open up the movie and dialouge

Possibly one of the best examples so far is Layer Cake - A movie which I had forgot just how much I enjoyed. The uncompressed audio track is a delight - just switch between the audio on other to experiance it. The way the dialouge comes alive and the subtle effects really do feel around you. Its amazing.

I have a PS3 and an old Pioneer THX amp not capable of decoding DTS, but it seems that certain Fox titles only contain DTS soundtracks (Kingdom of Heaven for one).

Can the PS3 output the sound as stereo or am I unable to watch (hear) Fox titles until a buy a new amp/reciever?

I have a PS3 and an old Pioneer THX amp not capable of decoding DTS, but it seems that certain Fox titles only contain DTS soundtracks (Kingdom of Heaven for one).

Can the PS3 output the sound as stereo or am I unable to watch (hear) Fox titles until a buy a new amp/reciever?

I don't have any Fox blu-ray movies but I would be surprised if they only included a DTS soundtrack. From my experience of DVD's that had DTS they also had DD as well. I would think blu-rays would be the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

However if they do indeed only include a DTS track then your amp won't be capable of decoding it anf if you try you may damage your amp.

There is no DD track on Kingdom of Heaven, but what will the PS3 output through the analog stereo outputs?

There is no DD track on Kingdom of Heaven, but what will the PS3 output through the analog stereo outputs?

How do you know ? Have you put your disc in the PS3 and check the audio options in the main menu ? I don't think it will output through the analogue stereo outputs if it only has a DTS soundtrack.

Because the reviews of the US version says so:

"Fox bestows upon 'Kingdom of Heaven' a very bombastic, hyper-aggressive DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio 5.1 surround track (although once again, the studio has not included an English Dolby Digital track)."

I don't want to buy it if I can't hear anything ;)

Because the reviews of the US version says so:

"Fox bestows upon 'Kingdom of Heaven' a very bombastic, hyper-aggressive DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio 5.1 surround track (although once again, the studio has not included an English Dolby Digital track)."

I don't want to buy it if I can't hear anything ;)

In that case it won't work with your amp.

Are you sure?

If I read this correctly, a DTS track can be output as 2 channel analog.

MandatoryTechnology_v2.jpg

Are you sure?

If I read this correctly, a DTS track can be output as 2 channel analog.

MandatoryTechnology_v2.jpg

I believe that's only as an LPCM track using an HDMI or optical cable. I could be mistaken but I think that is the case.

I believe that's only as an LPCM track using an HDMI or optical cable. I could be mistaken but I think that is the case.

It is. I've tested it now and the PS3 outputs DTS as 2-channel LPCM over optical (if set up that way).

Is PCM uncompressed Pulse Code Modulation?

I'll be honest I'm not too up on this subject though I do know about audio sampling. Surely other audio outputs are just compressed PCM?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom