Ps3 Anti Virus

S

SIXFOOTSEVEN

Hi, Not sure if this has been asked but here goes anyway. I am about to embark on on-line play with my PS3 but Im just wondering if I should be concerned about there not being any anti virus installed. Even when it comes to browsing on line I may be at risk or is there something pre installed I am not aware of. Cheers,
6'7"

Theoretically, because you can run linux on the PS3 it *could* catch a virus. The chances of this when gaming or web browsing though are zero.

yeah its fairly easy to get a virus on a pc, the vast majority of viruses are targeted at devices running microsoft windows (and mac osx to a far smaller extent)

the ps3 doesnt run windows to get on the web so i would think it is pretty much safe to take online.

its obviously not 100% impossible as the ps3 runs linux but almost all of the viruses going about are alien to the ps3.

Even if you try to download a virus via the PS3's browser, it won't affect it at all. The PS3's OS doesn't allow unsigned code to run so the virus will be harmless.

You can catch a virus pretty easy web browsing.

That's about as easy a jump as insect <-> human would be for a real virus. Not impossible to find some freakish thing that could do it, but in real terms it's not a threat; virtually all viruses out there are intended to run under Windows, on an x86 platform. The PS3 is neither of those; viruses could be written for it, but they're rare enough that no-one's likely to bother.

My advice, as always, is to have a hardware firewall between your systems (PC, Mac, PS3, toaster, whatever) and the Internet, and that should keep the PS3 perfectly safe.

Hi. I've recently bought a PS3 and want to connect it to the web via a wireless router. Does anyone know whether there are any viruses out there which could infect the PS3, and if so, what anti-virus software is available for the PS3? Sorry if this is a very basic question or if it has been covered elsewhere, but I would value any advice. Many thanks.

No you don't need anti-virus software.....:smashin:

No you don't need anti-virus software.....:smashin:

YET!!! theres got to be someone, somewhere working on a script. Especially on big multiplayer with a lot of exchange of data directly between units! 'Ahem... WARHAWK?'

I so hope there isn't but you how some of these F***NUTS are.

(Good question tho, I have never given it a thought)

"No viruses YET"...

Well, bear in mind that people have been saying that about OSX for absolutely ages, and so far there's only been a slight worry about a worm, which you needed to install yourself...

Game console OS's run differently to the likes of Windows/OSX/Linux... I seriously doubt that a virus will be written for any console any time soon.

Viruses are nothing more than programs with a bunch of commands that tell the O.S to do something, you need to know how the OS issues commands and to know what those commands are to be able to do anything, and since there are no books or anything else for users stating what the commands etc are (unless your a Dev) your not going to be able to write a virus for it.

I think people are struggling to make games let alone viruses at the moment.

I think my browser genuinely has a virus.
#
In the past 2 weeks It has become awfuly slow, crashes in the middle of loading a webpage (or even scrolling) and no controls respeond but the PS button and if you go to close the browser it crashes on the XMB and when you select to turn it off it bleeps alot

Thank you all for your help/ advice- glad it wasn't too stupid a question after all. danaldinho7- have you tried contacting Sony support regarding the problems you're having?

I think my browser genuinely has a virus.
#
In the past 2 weeks It has become awfuly slow, crashes in the middle of loading a webpage (or even scrolling) and no controls respeond but the PS button and if you go to close the browser it crashes on the XMB and when you select to turn it off it bleeps alot

You wont have a Virus, there isn't a way to make a PS3 based virus without knowing the ins and outs of the PS3 itself which only Sony and Devs have the documentation for.

The PS3 browser is a mess anyway it Hasn't worked that well at all since the PS3 launched.. i never use it as half the sites don't work due to the poor use of flash and Java on the PS3, try cleaning out the cache, cookies, page history etc you may find it speeds up a bit the PS3 has limited memory for browser use Sony really need to update and rethink the browser because it's pretty poor.

Hi All,

When browsing the web isnt a virus checker a good idea or does the PS3 not get viruses?

Just wondering as I wouldnt like anything to happen to our PS3's!

Cheers,

Muzz

Hi All,

When browsing the web isnt a virus checker a good idea or does the PS3 not get viruses?

Just wondering as I wouldnt like anything to happen to our PS3's!

Cheers,

Muzz

Always best to do a search before starting a new thread. I've merged your thread with the existing one on viruses.

In theory when using the PS3 OS and browsing the Internet you can't currently get a virus, as no-one to my knowledge has successfully built one for the PS3 OS. But if you install Linux on it, the Linux OS could get a Linux virus, but these are so rare it is as good as impossible. And even if your second OS got a virus it wouldn't affect the ability to play games as the PS3 OS is entirely seperate from whichever OS you install alongside.

I would however install a firewall on the 2nd OS if you use one as it will essentially be a desktop computer connected to the net and suseptible to any attacks a normal PC would receive.

But if you just use the PS3 OS such things are irrelevent.

If one managed to write a virus for the PS3, this guy would be the hero of all PS3 hackers out there. Getting the virus to work would require breaking every layer ofg security and encryption put in place by sony in order to prevent pirated games from running... If one could achieve that, it would actually open the PS3 up to homebrew software and game backups as well.

To put it in simple terms: If such a virus existed, we all would know about it as it would be a truly amazing piece of software. Its existence would be documented by headlines like "PS3 hacked" on the cover of every gaming magazine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom