PS3 and Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by alpha1, Jan 1, 2007.

1. alpha1

alpha1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right i bet theres been loads of these posts :) but heres mine,

Im looking at a new consol. now being out of the gaming world for a while now i have lost my touch.

Out of the 2 consols which one has the scalablity. what i mean is the ps3 going be able to be used as a media centre? or and can the Xbox360?

So to the quality for buck. i know the ps3 has a br player and you can get the HD drive for the xbox (i think) but which one will come out on top in 2 years time once the ps 3 has settled in..

im not intrested in the Wii as id like to use the consol to replace my dvd player anyway is this a good idea?

Thanks

2. Benny06

Benny06

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    im a 360 man, and ive seen a video on the net of GoW compared to a similar game on the PS3 and i couldnt really see any difference in graphics, i personaly thought Gow was better but thats coming down to the game and not the console.

Afaik, the PS3 has no rumble feature in the controls, but does have a gyro? The 360 can be quite loud and get quite hot, where as the ps3 stays cool and is quiet, and has a fancy slot where it sucks discs in as opposed to a conveintional tray. the ps3 is also larger than the 360. Games will be more expensive i expect a sthey'l be on Blue ray discs, which will allow longer gameplay but cost more.

But the price is why so many favour the 360 imo, almost double the price with no games is quite expensive. I havent seen the ps3 version of the 'xbox dashboard' as such but im sure its quite good.

personally if i were in your shoes, i'd get a 360 for now, as it has so many more game titles out atm. Wait for the PS3 to drop considerably in price and then consider buying one, im sure i will once theyre reasonably priced!

thats my low down :lesson: , hope this helps

Benny

3. alpha1

alpha1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much.. im able to get a PS3 for around £530 but it seems soo much. i may have to book a holiday to new york and look at them. what is the HD DVD? is this a HD player for the xbox? also i have read that lots of people have had there xboxs dies because of it..

you would have thought that sony would ahve designed a enw controler!!!

ohh well i think im just going to have to wait.. the main thing im intrested is the scalability of a consol. what more does the consol offer the Blu Ray is a big plus for me... but the price is crazyyy!!

4. Sword

Sword

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As far as playing games goes, you probably won't notice much difference in my opinion - though I understand that COD3 apparently looks better on an xbox 360! But, the 360 has already done the "such the early market dry with high prices" thing and the games / consoles are now really dropping in price. So bang for buck on the gameplay front is easy ...

To compare similarly on price though, you'd have to get a 360 premium, a wifi adapter and the HD-DVD drive - around 420 if you look around - and that will include 2 wireless controllers and a few games. Still quite a few quid down on the PS3 prices. But the extra drive means its not an all-in-one. However, the price variations - from 150 for a core to around 420 as above, means that there are lots of ways for people to enter the market. Good move, MS.

It probably comes down to the HD vs Blueray thing. And I suppose that the one you choose will, in a small way, actually influence the outcome of that debate :)

Sword

5. ajcham

ajcham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I had a ps and ps2, and had every intention of waiting for a ps3 (mainly because it had a built-in blu-ray player etc.). However, as the ps3 was delayed for us, and since I had a gaming itch to scratch, I took advantage of gamestation's £339 xbox deal just before christmas. No regrets so far!

In my opinion, assuming that Sony's version of xbox live works well, there won't be much to distinguish the xbox 360 and ps3 in a couple of years time. Okay, each console will have a couple of big-name exclusive titles, and multi-console games might look slightly better on one console than the other, but either console should keep you happy for a long time.

6. Benny06

Benny06

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Its the first time that 2 consoles are pritty level pegging, should make for some interesting arguments, lol

7. Mattk84

Mattk84
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    developers are on record that the ps3 offers stuff the 360 cant and vice versa but in real terms there is nothing between them.with that in mind,the price should be the deciding factor and with the 360 and the games cheaper than the ps3 it seems a no-brainer to me.

many former sony exclusive titles are also now apearing on the 360.

8. maverik1979

maverik1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    another important point to mention is the role reversal of the current consoles, with the previous generation (ps2 xbox) the ps2 came out first and hence all the big game studios developed games for it first, when the xbox came out all they did was port some of the games rather that remake them, this meant that even though the xbox was more powerfull it wasnt being utilised properly, skip forward to now, and because the 360 has a head start in the installed user base, the game developers are now using it as their main machine and porting to the ps3

also dont forget that the ps3 cant talk to windows for streaming your media ;)

9. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    did anyone read the drovel in the news of the worlds "gizmo" section

had article about ps3, where it stated "has twice the processing power of 360" and also 2 versions will be available, 20gb etc etc.

good to see they do their homework :rolleyes:

10. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    my 2 penneth,

If you want a console now the xbox 360 offers enough games to buy to keep me entertained for the next year or so at least. The playstation 3 is likely to take a further year or two before I see any "must have" or "next gen" games where the developers have the had the time to optimise the game code.

Price wise I managed to buy a core for £100 and upgrade as I went a long, so it was a no brainer compared to importing a ps3. Having had it around 4 months I don't regret the purchase and the wireless controller has changed how I play which is great.

If you have the money and you asked this question in 12months for example, I think I may have answered ps3, but if you want to buy now it still gives you 12-24m months to save up for a ps3 when things are more settled and have both :thumbsup: . (my limited knowledge of the two machines suggests ps3 to have more cpu power, xbox more gpu power assuming optimised code).

On the blue ray hd front, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two formats so price would be the deciding factor. I would probably get the american HD player and import american HD discs as there is a greater selection and it still works out cheaper (I think, not really looked into yet).

This is a 360 forum so it is likely to be weighted towards the 360 as that is what the majority of us have had experience with. If anyone has both a 360 and ps3, I would be interested to hear which you prefer based on performance and eyecandy.

matt.

11. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I don't think it is quite that simple as I read an article a little while back suggesting that the synergy between the pc and xbox allowed for easier cross platform releases than pc <>ps3 so it made sense to code a game for xbox then replicate it on the ps3 and pc. It appears that with the increase in budgets to produce games, the design houses are trying to limit the potential for failure by coding for the largest possible audience. I've hear a few ps3 'only' games are now coming out on xbox too in a similar effort. I may have misunderstood this though.

There may be a way of running linux on the ps3 which acts as a media centre. Not sure though haven't looked into it as I don't own one.

12. runam0k

runam0k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    A note on functionality.

This is imo the defining feature of the Xbox 360. PS3 is being pushed as a media hub (or as crazy Ken Kuturagi likes to say, a "PC"). Xbox 360, however, is a media device; it is designed to make use of the best media hub available -- a bona fide PC!

So connect your 360 to a home network or PC and you can stream media effortlessly. This was a revelation to me; I now regularly listen to music, podcasts, etc while gaming or just for the sake of utilising my TV/surround sound. It works brilliantly.

If you use Media Center, or if you're considering an upgrade to Vista, even better.

Streaming is not possible with PS3. Your only option is to copy everything to the PS3 HDD. Even then there's no persistent background music feature -- so no listening to music while gaming or downloading from the PlayStation store!

This brings me to a more general functionality point. As a game console, Xbox 360 has spoiled us with its dashboard and guide. It's universal, seemless and simple. Hit the guide button during a game and there's a host of options for you; choose background music, voice chat, send or accept/decline game invites, join sessions, send or read/listen to messages, change personal settings, etc, etc. The list goes on. Hit the PlayStation button and you can quit the game or turn the console off. Wow, thanks.

The other night I was playing a Master League game in PES6. A friend came online so I sent him a chat invite. We're chatting away - me on PES6, him on Gears of War - and he asks me to play co-op with him through the campaign mode. I want my Dom achievements so I agree. A game invite pops up, which I accept, and it takes me straight into his game (it asks me to swap discs first). The whole time I'm listening to a playlist streamed from my PC. The music never breaks or pauses and neither does the voice chat. I just don't see Sony ever achieving that, given they've already had a year to copy/improve upon the features of the Xbox 360.

Also you say you want to replace your DVD player. PS3 does not upscale DVDs. It's a bad oversight and something that Sony may or may not fix.

The only disappointing thing about the Xbox 360 is the amount of noise it makes (although most of the noise comes from the 12x DVD ROM during gameplay). That said, mine's in a cupboard, so I don't notice it.

13. Droogie 2001

Droogie 2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Some good points made there. I too use my 360 in a similar way to you, all wireless with my PC as a central hub.
    I take it for granted now that I can jump from one game to another whilst still talking to my mate in Oz.
    Me playing Oblivion and him GOW.
    You can also have mulitple chat lines open although its not often that you need them but the one time I did it was pretty cool.
    My only slight gripe is you cannot browse the Internet although of course I have my wireless laptop for that.:D
    not sure how good the browser on the PS3 is. Is it just like using IE?

14. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,723
    I have both a 360 and PS3 and if you are a first time buyer and can only get one then I would make it the 360 just because of the much wider selection of games available on the 360, that will no doubt change later but at this moment in time the 360 is the console you want.

15. oakie

oakie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I understand you can use HD-DVD drive with PC's and HTPC's as well as the xbox360 - makes HD-DVD more multi functional.

Both consoles lack codec support but with the 360 you can at least (wired/wireless) transcode on the fly & steam most media (regardless of format) to the 360 from PC - not ideal but it is free and it does work :)

America already have HD movie & TV show rental through XBL - i'm guessing sooner or later we may get something similar over here.

Dont forget about the great games that are out / & are coming out for the 360 - i haven't even mentioned the best online experience of any console ever - Sonys online offering pails into insignificance compared to XBL

16. bulletmagnet

bulletmagnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    there is no need to buy the american hd dvd player as they are not region coded for hd dvd`s, they are however region coded for standard dvd
    i have a u.k player and buy all my hd dvd`s from america, play exactly the same and ofcourse there half the price !