PS3 and Wifi

The Villan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi just bought PS3 350gb. I am waiting for HD TV/Monitor to be delivered.

I have a question.

I understand that the PS3 can be connected to my wifi.

However, I am not sure why you would want to have wifi. I would imagine that once connected to wifi, you would need a keyboard and mouse. Likewise I would assume you can surf the net. Is that correct?

If so, does the PS3 have a built in wifi card? Or do you need to buy an external adaptor?

Might sound a bit daft, but never having had to set a PS3 up before, I am not sure.

Any useful help and information would be greatly appreciated. :lease:

Hi, the ps3 has got wifi built in. Apart from surfing the net, you use it to download system and games updates, to buy games and downloadable game content from the playstation store, to view catch up tv services like BBC iplayer or subscription movie services like lovefilm.

So do you need a keyboard and mouse to be able to surf the net? If not how do you do it?

I have Sky HD + and can watch all my sky programmes on my mobile or PC. Can I do the same with the PS3? If so how?

The Villan said:
So do you need a keyboard and mouse to be able to surf the net? If not how do you do it?

I have Sky HD + and can watch all my sky programmes on my mobile or PC. Can I do the same with the PS3? If so how?

You use the analogue stick on the Dualshock controller to move the pointer and navigate the browser. It's not a very pleasant experience to be honest.

PS3 does not have any Sky streaming functionality (yet). It's been on the xbox 360 for a while now so it may still make an appearance on PS3.

You use the analogue stick on the Dualshock controller to move the pointer and navigate the browser. It's not a very pleasant experience to be honest.

PS3 does not have any Sky streaming functionality (yet). It's been on the xbox 360 for a while now so it may still make an appearance on PS3.

Ah, so it is pretty primitive really.

I was going to connect my daughters PC to the TV/Monitor and connect the PS3, but decided not to do that in the end.

The reason being that we have the PS2 and my daughter likes all her games on PS2. So I decided to put the PS3 and PS2 and TV/Monitor in our small bedroom and let her use both systems. The reason I have done that, is becuase I didn't realise how much of a change there was with the PS3 versus the PS2 and the lack of compatabilty. My daughter is Autistic and enjoyed lots of the Spyro software and programs like that. I am shocked at how little of those types of programs are available on the PS3. It almost seems like it was designed for real gamers, with mainly adult exposure. My problem, I ordered the PS3 before I realised.

Is there a converter or something like that, which will allow playing the PS2 discs on the PS3?

A 2nd hand early PS3 would have played PS2 games no problem, but over the years they made them cheaper they either used software emulation or not compatible at all. I guess you can just try putting the ps2 disc in and see what happens. If it doesn't work that's the sacrifice of not buying an expensive £400 PS3 when they first came out with all the bells and whistles. A lot of games these days are online orientated where you play against other real characters rather than computer generated ones. This is much more fun. So it's good the PS3 has wifi, or you can plug in cable too. It's also very good for BBC iplayer in HD. Also has ITV player and 4OD and youtube etc as built in apps which you can find I think in the channels menu section. I just use iplayer though. Go to the playstation store section to download for free the recent game demos of the month so you can see what type of games are suitable. In fact you might be able to go back quite a long way through the demos for the whole year. There must be some spyro type games there somewhere. But just because I am a racing nut I have to recommend GT5 as I cant see pretending your driving a car fast on a "safe" and legal racing track as ever being unsuitable for anyone of any age or ability.

Thank you beachland, thats very informative and useful. There are 2 spyro, games, so not all is lost. :) Being able to downlaod the demo's is great. That's the sort of thing we need. I will have a look at GT5, although she doesn't seem to enjoy the racing games, but you never know.:)

Will the controller that comes with PS3 be sufficient for most games?

Presumably, when you reach a point in a game and you want to save it and continue another time, that gets saved on the hard disk, rather than on memory cards.

Will the controller that comes with PS3 be sufficient for most games?

Yes, it will be fine for 99.9% of games. The only thing to look out for are games that say "Playstation Move" required. This is the motion controller for the PS3 that is bought separately, & requires the controller & one of the Playstation Eye cameras. Some games can use both the standard controller or the Move controller. A few are Move only.

Presumably, when you reach a point in a game and you want to save it and continue another time, that gets saved on the hard disk, rather than on memory cards.

All PS3 games are saved to the hard drive.

Regarding your Spyro mention, there are other games of that genre available. Sly Racoon, & the Ratchet & Clank games are two that come to mind straight away, & I'm sure there's lot more as well.

Excellent. This thread has helped me considerably and as soon as the TV Monitor arrives, I will be raring to get it set up, armed with all the knowledge that you have all provided me. Many thanks

There are 2 spyro, games, so not all is lost. :)
Check out demos & YouTube for these if you can. The Spyro series started off on the Playstation (original) as a gentle platform adventure game with the odd small fight. We really enjoyed them and the sequels on the PS2. But they've become progressively more fighting orientated and frankly lost their appeal to us.

If you're looking for family orientated games I would recommend the LEGO series as they are much closer to earlier Spyro spirit. If you have 2 controllers you can play co-operatively which we use to help my 8 year old progress through the games and it makes the experience more sociable than watching one person play.

I wanted to connect the PS3 to wifi, but it wouldn't let me without connecting by ethernet. That would require a 5 meter cable. I have 4 PC's 3 Mobile and a laptop all connected via wifi without needing an ethernet. I have never used an ethernet cable. Is it possible to use an external wifi adaptor to do this?

I thought that the PS3 360gig had a wireless option and if I ask to connect by wireless it allows me to connect to my router via wifi and I just put the code in to connect. I think I am doing something wrong.

Its strange This is how to do it Use a Wireless connection - PlayStation 3, PS3 official network guide

But it came back "Can't find internet connection, you need to use an ethernet cable."

Why?

Probably because it can't see your connection as you will have the SSID set to not broadcast, so don't do it automatically, do it manually, enter in the name, ip(if it's static), etc...

If you want to do it automatically, go into your router settings and disable that option, then retry it..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom