Ps3 and the blu-ray player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dave2, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Well officially got my ps3 today so decided to test it out. What a huge tank but i expected this with all the hardware that is in it.

Its quite quite to and disc load times is out of this world.

Anyway I got Talladega Nights with this machine so decided what the hell lets test it out and was pleasantly impressed with the quality and sharpness, it is probably not the best film in the world but it made me laugh :)

So I have decided to order a few films to see how they match up. Seems atleast at best blu-ray can match hd-dvd films but if that is all then I still think blu-ray is rather expensive but iam not here to argue that fact :)

Once my movies arrive I will give you my 2 cent`s worth :)

The darkside is nasty ... sony suck !!!!! now onto resistance:D

2. av addict

av addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    hi dave nice one in getting the ps3--i'm still undecided what blu-ray player to get console or stand alone--the only
    thing holding me back on buying the ps3 will it decode lpcm without hdmi connection----i can get the ps 3delivered for about £380 so it is a good price-and i would't also mind getting motorstorm and f1 when its released------i look forward to your findings--what films did
    you order by the way--sparky

3. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I think all audio options had the pcm within there option but i would have too look at that but at the moment it is in its box untill i sort some room out.

The titles I have purchased were Xmen-3, the covenant, fith element, resident evil apocolypse.

Heh not films alot of people like but i like them :)

I would suggest a ps3 mate, 1) its cheaper that a standalone 2) if blu-ray fails, which i doubt will be any time soon , same as hd-dvd . You will still have a games console at the end of it and a power PC :) as you can install yellow dog linux :).

I paid a little more for mine £550 US 60 gig ver with 2 games and extra controller.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    Afraid not - you would need a standalone player for this.

5. av addict

av addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179

ye thought so==bugger :(

6. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,104
    ive watched Xmen3 on my ps3 and the quality is really good:thumbsup: ive also got fifth element but not watched yet,and the covenant to appear any day now:smashin: (it got 5 stars for picture quality);)

7. markusp

markusp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    This isn't quite so. The PS3 will output 2 channel PCM via Optical cable. You can then have your receiver / pre pro apply DPL II to this stream for very good / excellent sound.

I have the Arcam AVR-350 and have been using my PS3 in this manner for the past couple of days (multiple viewings of Ice Age 2 for my little one) and the sound is definately superior to that of the DTS bitstream found on the disc. It is atleast on my receiver so it may come down to how well your receiver handles 2 channel PCM.

8. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    ahh sweet , i hope to get my blurry titles soon , looking forward to them too, i may watch x-men 1st then the covenant as both are excellent films :)

9. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Does anyone know if the PS3 will downscale HD-audio to DTS 1.5mbs, or what does it do via optical?

10. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,104
  11. midknight

midknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,576
    I have a PS3 going into a Sony 5200ESamp then out to a Sony 46 X2000 LCD TV and I have to say (and have in other threads) I am extremely impressed with the PS3 as a Blu Ray player (the main reason I got one).

I was firmly in the HD DVD camp (I still love that format too!!) but have to say my Blu Ray experieence so far has been superb.

I watched Underworl Evolution and was extremely pleased with the PQ and audio quality and the ease of use of the PS3 as a player.

I think both formats rock but I have to say the PS3 has really impressed me as a player.

12. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    Ive only got T.Nights for my ps3 and ive had a quick look at it and its not impressed me, I may have to actually sit down and watch the whole thing and have a bit of a play with it but for the few mins I flicked through it didnt seem as sharp/vibrant as my HDDVD on the 360. Ive been told TN is a crappy transfer anyway so i'll reserve judgement until I get more films.

13. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Are you saying that the PS3 outputs LPCM via optical? I got the impression that it could only do that via HDMI as the bandwidth for LPCM was higher than SPDIF could cope with.
    What you might be getting is DD or DTS via optical to your receiver. Both of those use lossy compression, whereas LPCM is lossless.

14. markusp

markusp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yes - that's what I am saying. SPDIF actually has enough bandwidth to carry 2 channels of uncompressed audio, so if you choose PCM on any blu-ray player and use the SPDIF connection, 5.1 PCM tracks will be downmixed to 2 channel PCM. This is NOT DD or DTS, which would show up on your receiver as actually being DD or DTS. Instead, it shows up as PCM. You then apply DPL II to this 2 channel PCM mix to create a 5.1 channel mix.

By the way - you can only get DD or DTS if you select "bitstream" output on your blu-ray player.

Depending on the movie, I sometimes prefer the scenario I suggested above and sometimes I go with the bitstream DTS audio as LFE levels are effected by using 2 channel PCM (does not have dedicated LFE info).

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Don't think that's what the OP had in mind. I think he wants LPCM 5.1, which it does not do. And are you actually serious, you use stereo over DTS/DD for movies, and rely on your AV amp's DPL2 decoding to give you surround? Dunno what reciever you have, but it's DPL" capabilities must be amazing to exceed a decent DTS or DD soundtrack, even with lossless PCM. BTW Mr Sukebe, have you never seen a CD player with SPDIF? Or a minidisc? That is lossless PCM. There isn't the bandwidth for 5.1LPCM, but it's well adequate for 2 channel.

16. markusp

markusp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Depending on the movie - yes :)

My receiver is an Arcam AVR-350.

Try it - you might find the same thing. Especially if you use DPL II Music - the soundstage become quite a bit larger for certain movies.

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I'll give it a miss if you don't mind. Currently running an Onkyo 801, it has very good DPL2, but I prefer my movies as the director intended, have a THX select setup to try and achieve it, and don't wish to have the amp do anything different. That's not much different really to pressing the zoom button cos you don't like black bars.

18. markusp

markusp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I dissagree but to each their own. When you see a movie at the cinema - its is not in 5.1 either ;) The decision to downmix to 5.1 is rarely left to the director so no matter what, you are rarely ever hearing what the director intended you to hear.

Do you feel the same way regarding older movies that may only have a mono or stereo soundtrack? If so, why have DPL II at all?

I do agree with you regarding OAR though. This IS what the director intended you to see.

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    No, older movie soundtracks are fair game. The only ones I have are the original Dollars movies mind you, on DVD. I have PL2 for TV mostly, not for DVD. Though of course all TV series DVDs are stereo, which I PL2 quite happily. It's the ones with the DD soundtrack, which, owing to the deficiencies of your local cinema you do not hear, that I prefer to have in their proper format.

20. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Sorry, I was asking a serious question. I got the impression that as LPCM can deal with higher resolution signals, that it might require a wider bandwidth digital interface. Thanks for advising.

21. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    Has anyone figured out what audio formats the ps3 can fully decode to lpcm? Will it do truehd and dts-ma?
    also, will it convert all its supported audio to dd5.1?

22. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529

not fully sure about the lpcm it will decode however most of its formats to DD5.1 with exception of lpcm 5.1.

If i set the ps3 to dolby digital only it will convert dts etc to 5.1 DD if i set it to both dts and dd 5.1 it will convert dts-master to dts 5.1 and any other to dd 5.1 i think it supports AAC to ? which is also converted to dd 5.1 i think ... ive been testing it loads and cant remeber it all.