PS3 and Samsung Anynet work together

gchristofi

Standard Member
I'm a complete newbie to all this stuff, but I've been fiddling around with settings on my Samsung Ps50c7000 with hdmi connection to PS3 and discovered (by accident) that my TV remote control will works for PS3 controls once you select the correct input...

I did not expect this... what a bonus.

Anyone know if this will work if I pass it all through Onkyo HT-S5305 system?

Pictures are great but sound needs upgrading :smashin:

dsmudger

Don't have an Onyko to be able to help you, but the generic name for the function that make all this work is 'HDMI-CEC' - try having a look for that in the Onyko manual?

EDIT: curiosity got the better of me ;) your Onyko does support it - see p.33 in your manual - you need to turn on what Onyko call 'RIHD'

Press: Setup -> HDMI Setup -> HDMI Control (RIHD) -> ON

and then optionally the three options below that that become enabled..

in your case I think you'll need to enable 'TV Control', so the TV remote controls the amp, not the other way round (I suspect it'll be better that way round, as the majority of the time you don't need quite as fine grained control of the amp as you do the TV..)

Last edited:

gchristofi

Standard Member
Hi dsmudger

Thanks alot. I did get this working through the Onkyo, and thankfully the telly remote is aslo controlling the av receiver in an intelligent way.

I jumped the gun a bit proclaiming that the PS3 works though.. More testing shows that it works to a level, i.e. navigation and enter work (incidentally, the iPhone Samung remote is a great way of getting a keyboard on the PS3 with this setup), rather annoyingly though, the play and pause buttons don't work for the ps3 even though FF FRW do! damn

if anyone knows a way to tweak this please let me know.

(you can access play and pause by pulling up the ps3 popup menu through the tv remote by selecting the tools>Hdmi-cec>ps3 info menu on TV, then navigating on screen functions. Bit clunky though.

Perhaps a universal remote is in my future after all. Might stop the mrs asking me how it all works every 10 minutes too! ;-)

dsmudger

hmm I'll have to have a play tonight then - somehow I thought the play/pause was working for me.. (never know we might discover it's a firmware-specific difference, ..or I was just imagining it :))

I know what you mean about not full function though - it is certainly possible to get stuck in a menu and not be able to press triangle or the PS button to get out :)

and wow, thanks for the tip on the iPhone Samung remote - had no idea such a thing existed!

I don't have the wifi dongle yet though (or a wired network within reach), though it's coming in the post - btw fwiw I bought the much cheaper last-year's-model (80211.b and g, but no n which is in the new one) - remains to be seen/will post here if it works (good reason to think it will, as reviews said it works on the 2010 LED TVs)

gchristofi

Standard Member
I don't have the wifi dongle yet though (or a wired network within reach), though it's coming in the post - btw fwiw I bought the much cheaper last-year's-model (80211.b and g, but no n which is in the new one) - remains to be seen/will post here if it works (good reason to think it will, as reviews said it works on the 2010 LED TVs)
I looked at this route too, but decided to get a decent set of 200 Mb homeplug adapters instead. Only cost £45, have used them before, much more stable than any wireless, better throughput too. With wireless already in PS3, I may never use the streaming of the Samsung either, so these homeplug adapters might be useful elsewhere.

Of course, I meant 'Samsung' iPhone remote. It replicates the 7000 series remote very well, the only glaring omission being the 'guide' button? :facepalm:

dsmudger

lol I copy/pasted out of laziness and didn't spot the typo :D

haven't checked the ff/rw thing just yet, but another potential protip:

On the TV:
Tools -> Anynet+ -> Setup -> Auto Turn Off -> ON

as the name suggests it should now send the PS3 a shutdown signal when you put the TV into standby (so you now have both auto startup and shutdown)

I usually switch my AV stuff off at the plug when going out (save the planet and all that ;)), but this means one less button press and wait for the PS3 to reach standby, and/or some power savings if I just forget/can't be bothered to shut the PS3 down when going to bed :)

dsmudger

oh yeah, and the Samsung WIS-08GB wifi adapter: does NOT work with the PS50C7000 plasma :( (reading up on the Samsung hacking forums indicates it's an artificial restriction - booo Samsung profiteering :( )

gchristofi

Standard Member
cheers dsmudger, got that working already. One click, off with TV, ONKYO and PS3. Swithing TV input back to PS3 also wakes the beast up.

Now if only I could find a way to fully integrate my ageing Humax PVR9300!

Pair of homeplugs for £45 looking more attractive?

dsmudger

so, at the risk of going off topic..

I went down to the official Samsung shop today, where they tried to charge me £70 for the new model of wifi adapter - I queried it saying it was £50 everywhere else (in the shops that is; about £40-45 online) - the guy basically laughed and said they can hike the price because nobody else has it in stock :\

Told him where to shove it and eventually managed to track one down in Currys on Oxford St for £55.. (were 5 more in stock if anyone reading needs one ;) but you have to ask for it by its Curry's product code off the website - they're not out on the shelves and the staff don't know what it is or that that they have any, unless you ask them to look up the number - there's also one in stock for £50 in the Micro Anvika store in the big shopping centre at Shepherd's bush - was going to be my last resort..)

got it home and the damn thing doesn't work though - TV connects to the wlan ok, passes all the network tests, but no [email protected]

Seems to be some issue with routing/depending on which ISP you're with - basically if you can successfully ping ars.samsung.com (which is in S Korea), it'll work, otherwise it won't - ars indeed :rolleyes:

Also found out contrary to what the shop said, the C7000 is in fact eligible for the free player and shrek blurays offer (see here: Samsung Terms and Conditions) - bit annoyed now - all sorts of getting on the blower to be done tomorrow it seems (hopefully this helps someone reading though :))

Last edited:

gchristofi

Standard Member
The good news for you is that I think the Samsung internet TV service is just offline for a little while for 24 hrs maintenance. I remember seeing this message when connecting a couple of days ago.. Infact, just tested for you and I get the same message. I'm certain my connectivity is good as passes all tests like yours and I'm on a wired network.

Just poor timing for your testing. Try again soon and I think you'll be in luck.

dsmudger

:smashin: hehe ta, yep, worked this morning..

I guess it's a shame then that there's this hard-coded requirement for the device to phone home before it turns on - since you say it was down for you (and presumably you accepted the T&Cs some time ago), I guess this means that if Samsung randomly decide it's no longer profitable to run those particular servers (as will inevitably happen at some point) then you lose the whole thing not just some of the widgets or the ability to update with new ones..

(not to mention of course being at the mercy of these kind of single-point-of-failure outages..:thumbsdow)

gchristofi

Standard Member
:smashin: hehe ta, yep, worked this morning..

I guess it's a shame then that there's this hard-coded requirement for the device to phone home before it turns on - since you say it was down for you (and presumably you accepted the T&Cs some time ago), I guess this means that if Samsung randomly decide it's no longer profitable to run those particular servers (as will inevitably happen at some point) then you lose the whole thing not just some of the widgets or the ability to update with new ones..

(not to mention of course being at the mercy of these kind of single-point-of-failure outages..:thumbsdow)
Good point, but given the emerging popularity of internet TV something would have to go very wrong for Samsung's (and other vendors) offerings not to grow at light speed for the next few years and survive the lifetime of these TVs. (you caught me in an optimistic mood :smashin:)

Xoltan

Novice Member
Hello all,

While watching Iron Man 2 BD, I found that if you can pull up the BD Menu with the "up" direction of the navigational button (to be clear, the one that looks like a plus sign). From there, you can immediately pause the movie, as it is built into the menu!

I've only tried it out with this disc, but I'm sure most BD's work this way. Hope this helps, and now you don't have to go through 4-5 steps!

Cheers!

soulknight

Novice Member
I just learned the benefits of ANYNET+ when I found this thread last night. I'd like to know more about getting the most out of it. I have a Samsung UN55D8000YFXZA connected to a PS3. Finding out that I can control the movie functions of the PS3 through the TV's remote control rather than the PS3 game controller has made watching movies more enjoyable. I have a couple questions.

1) Can anyone recommend a Universal Remote the can control ALL of the features of my TV? I have a universal remote control but it can not access the TV's menu, content (Netflix, Hulu, etc...) or input source.

2) Will I be able to control multiple HDMI-CEC components through the TV the same way I do with the PS3? And will their control be seamless or will I have to access each component individually?

Trending threads

Latest news

BritBox adds Channel 5 and Comedy Central to roster
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd Sept - Spears and Munsil
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones