PS3 and PCM5.1 and Denon AVR3805 audio

dave_em

Standard Member
Hi,

I have just bought an opera BD "Lohengrin" which has PCM 2.0 and PCM 5.1 as the audio. My PS3 is optically connected to the Denon and until now has handled all that I have thrown at it. This is my first title which only has PCM and I can't seem to get the 5.1 working. I suspect I may need to upgrade my amp but thought I would ask here first just in case there were options on the PS3 that may affect it. Audio output from PS3 is set to Bitstream over the Optical Out. Year old 40GB PS3 with latest 2.76 firmware. Other option I guess would be to make sure I read the specifications of the discs before buying:) but that is too late now

Dave

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I have just bought an opera BD "Lohengrin" which has PCM 2.0 and PCM 5.1 as the audio. My PS3 is optically connected to the Denon and until now has handled all that I have thrown at it. This is my first title which only has PCM and I can't seem to get the 5.1 working. I suspect I may need to upgrade my amp but thought I would ask here first just in case there were options on the PS3 that may affect it. Audio output from PS3 is set to Bitstream over the Optical Out. Year old 40GB PS3 with latest 2.76 firmware. Other option I guess would be to make sure I read the specifications of the discs before buying:) but that is too late now

Dave

Hi Dave. :)
Quite normal i'm afraid,the PCM 5.1 track will be 2.0 channel only over optical you'll need HDMI for the full track.
All the best.

dave_em

Standard Member
Hi Dave. :)
Quite normal i'm afraid,the PCM 5.1 track will be 2.0 channel only over optical you'll need HDMI for the full track.
All the best.

Cheers kingfats, I thought it might be. Oh well time to start saving as I might as well upgrade the speakers from 5.1 to 7.1 at the same time.

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom