PS3 and mixamp

BigBee

Hi folks

I bought a mixamp and PC360s about a year ago and upto now have exclusively been using them on my xbox. My xbox and PS3 are both connected via HDMI to my Denon AVR1912 then HDMI to my TV. I can't connect the mixamp directly to the Denon as there is no optical output, so the mixamp is connected via optical lead to whichever console I choose at the time.

As I say, upto now I've been using the mixamp with the xbox and if I get bored of the PC360s and just want to hear games through the speakers connected to the Denon I just turn the mixamp off, the Denon on and away I go - no problems :) However, with the PS3 I found that to even get sound out of the mixamp in the first place I had to go into 'audio settings' and select 'optical output' in order to do so but then when I turned the mixamp off with a view to hearing the Denon no sound came out. It was then that I realised I had to go back into audio settings and select HDMI - the problem with that being you can't just go into the settings from a game, you have to exit completely and go in from the dashboard :(

My question is this. Is it best to manually change the audio output depending on what device I want to listen to or is it viable to use the 'multi out' option? From what I understand, by using 'multi out' you then have to put up with one of the outputs being downscaled to 2.1 but I really want the best sound possible having invested quite a sum in my setup.

Thanks for reading, any advice / opinions appreciated.

Cheers

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
The whole repicking your audio out on the PS3 is just something you have to do.
Or pick hdmi as the main audio, select Audio Multi Out, and everything else will be in stereo, optical included.

BigBee

The whole repicking your audio out on the PS3 is just something you have to do.
Or pick hdmi as the main audio, select Audio Multi Out, and everything else will be in stereo, optical included.
OK,thanks for clarifying that for me

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom