• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PS3 and HomePlugs

M.C.F.C

Hope this is in the right section of the site , feel free to move if not. I was wondering what you guys who have their PS3'sconnected via Homeplugs , when you run the internet connection test on the PS3 what sort of connection speeds are you getting, are they better than i would get on my wireless connection .

Garry123

I've currently got my PC plugged into a Homeplug and have suffered no loss of speed, but then I'm only browsing the web. If you get a set rated at a high enough speed i cannot see there being any problems. Its only like a wired LAN. I have some Devolo units.

dLAN® 200 AVeasy ... Product description ... devolo AG

derek1971

Been using homeplugs since i got my ps3 at launch. Never had a problem - much better than wireless:smashin:

Mr Nook

Distinguished Member
About 4.8 with homeplugs. Wireless was pretty poor.

LJx

I got homeplugs but I don't use them for PS3 becasue the wireless works perfect for me in MW2 etc

Mr Nook

Distinguished Member
I got homeplugs but I don't use them for PS3 becasue the wireless works perfect for me in MW2 etc

Yeah I found the wireless okay for gaming but downloading or streaming is where homeplugs give it a welcome boost :thumbsup:

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Hope this is in the right section of the site , feel free to move if not. I was wondering what you guys who have their PS3'sconnected via Homeplugs , when you run the internet connection test on the PS3 what sort of connection speeds are you getting, are they better than i would get on my wireless connection .

Using my PS3, with 200mb homeplugs, on a 17.5mb connection... I get about 9mb (it was about 7/8 until a replaced a few plugs for cosmetic reasons). My wireless it about 6/7/8mb, my PS3 is fairly close to the router, but it is in a cabinet, next to a wall, the router is in the next room.

It all depends on you wiring, homeplugs are like wifi in that there is no guranteed rate, it depends on the wiring etc, but they are much more stable and generally quicker IMO.

200mb are worth it for streaming, at 85mb my old plugs stuttered.

So I woulld say they are likely to be better than your wifi, and more stable. They are not as good as a decent Cat5/6 setup, which I would go for, if only I could pull up the floor to fit it!

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
Been using homeplugs since i got my ps3 at launch. Never had a problem - much better than wireless:smashin:

Agreed. I have 85mbps homeplugs and they work perfectly for streaming normal and hi-def. Occasionally I get stutter with hi-def...but if so I just copy the file from my PC to the PS3 hard drive via the homeplug network and it plays perfectly.

I have an 8meg net connection and it's rock solid at 7meg and always has been. When I do an internet connection test on the PS3 I get about 6.8meg over the homeplugs. I've found the PS3 wireless to be pretty poor on my US 60GB launch model and a recently purchased UK 160GB model.

Homeplugs all the way for me...use them to feed my 360 too.

Fall Guy

Standard Member
Firmware and patch downloads used to take half an hour or more on wifi but using 200mb homeplugs now takes just a few minutes or sometimes just seconds.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Those in the know - is there likely to be any benefit to getting homeplugs if you're on a pitiful 2meg connection? I live in worcester on a modern housing estate and it really is quite pathetic that the best broadband speed you can get in this area is that, 2meg. I've had it explained to me it's because the local exchange isn't local, it's miles away. Whether that's right I don't honestly know. But anything that could give my struggling broadband a boost would be welcome. I can no longer stream for things like iplayer, 5 or 4od - it's almost tragic. Gaming is okay, but it do get lag at times and hosting is totally out of the question! I can't remember being this frustrated by dial up!

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom