PS3 and HDMI compatible amps

avp

Previously PPP
Reaction score
Hi,

A quick question about the PS3 and HDMI amps. When using the PS3 for purely games and SD dvds, does it matter if the sound is carried to the amp through hdmi or optical? Are PS3 games encoded HD audio? Is that something for the future?

Thanks

Do you have an amp at the moment? If not, I would suggest you do buy one that supports at the very least LPCM via HDMI to enjoy the HD audio formats via bluray. The games are in Dolby Digital 5.1 at the moment and always will be AFAIK. Dolby Link. The HD audio formats will be used by bluray movies only.

As to which is better for games and SD movies; HDMI audio or optical? There is no difference.

Do you have an amp at the moment? If not, I would suggest you do buy one that supports at the very least LPCM via HDMI to enjoy the HD audio formats via bluray. The games are in Dolby Digital 5.1 at the moment and always will be AFAIK. Dolby Link. The HD audio formats will be used by bluray movies only.

As to which is better for games and SD movies; HDMI audio or optical? There is no difference.

I have a standard av amp but I'm trying to decide whether I should go with a processor with normal optical/analogue inputs or go with av amp with hdmi inputs for HD sound...or of course stick to what I have. Eventually I want to upgrade to a processor that handles HD sound formats but for me I don't think that'll be for at least a year or so. I don't have any Bluray movies (yet) as I watch 80% of my content through my HTPC but I might start getting into Bluray movies abit more in the near future.

I think my best option is to find a second hand av amp with preouts that can deal with HD audio through HDMI until the new processors are released.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom