PS3 and HD audio bitstream

enricokael2005

Hi,
I just bought a new PS3 320 GB model and wanted to watch Avatar with glorious DTS-HD MA soundtrack but I CANNOT set PS3 to bitstream the audio directly to receiver and it's driving me crazy!!!

Basicaly, when PS3 Slim came out, many told and it was confirmed that PS3 Slim would be able to bitstream original audio to receiver.

Can somebody help me?
PS3 user manual states that bitstreaming is not possible for HD audio.
Why is that??!!
:mad::mad::mad:

hippo99

Distinguished Member
PS3 user manual states that bitstreaming is not possible for HD audio.
Why is that??!!
:mad::mad::mad:
You must be looking at the wrong manual:rotfl:
The only situation in which a Slim can't bitstream HD Audio from a Blu-Ray is if you're watching a 3D film.

You need to change 2 settings in 2 different area of the options:

1. Go to Sound settings & set up your connection to your Amp connected with HDMI PS3™ | Audio Output Settings
  2. Go to Video settings & choose Bitstream for the BD Audio output (HDMI) PS3™ | Video Settings

enricokael2005

You must be looking at the wrong manual:rotfl:
The only situation in which a Slim can't bitstream HD Audio from a Blu-Ray is if you're watching a 3D film.

You need to change 2 settings in 2 different area of the options:

1. Go to Sound settings & set up your connection to your Amp connected with HDMI PS3™ | Audio Output Settings
  2. Go to Video settings & choose Bitstream for the BD Audio output (HDMI) PS3™ | Video Settings
OK, I'll try this once again.
I have the manual that came with PS3 Slim.
So PS3 Slim can definetly bitstream HD audio to receiver?

Why there are only an options (in audio settings) for
Dolby Digital 5.1
DTS 5.1
Linear 2 Ch.

Shouldn't DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD be displayed here?

Last edited:

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
OK, I'll try this once again.
I have the manual that came with PS3 Slim.
So PS3 Slim can definetly bitstream HD audio to receiver?

Why there are only an options (in audio settings) for
Dolby Digital 5.1
DTS 5.1
Linear 2 Ch.

Shouldn't DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD be displayed here?
If your receiver can't accept it, or do HD audio, you won't get the option.
And it's only over hdmi, not optical.

What amp are you using?

enricokael2005

Little off topic but referring to the 3D part of PS3 Slim.

PS3 Slim has HDMI 1.3b or 1.4b?

I read somewhere that 3D works with HDMI 1.3b.

Barry_

Urm ?? Amazon... like he posted - have a read and find out for yourself.

Barry_

Actually - i take that back.. (soz enricokael2005)

Where & what issues +1

I've just looked on both the uk & us sites and only saw 1 review mentioning PS3 issues.

The manual is confusing and the setup took several hours with no sound and picture from my PS3. I called Crutchfield tech support and 2 different people could not come up with an answer. One guy said "this unit is known to have problems with PS3". My sole purpose was to watch blu ray and games with my PS3 so I'm going to return it. Trust me, we tried everything. Changing cables, trying a different PS3, etc. I have no idea how the sound was because I couldn't get it to work at all.

enricokael2005

Actually - i take that back.. (soz enricokael2005)

Where & what issues +1

I've just looked on both the uk & us sites and only saw 1 review mentioning PS3 issues.
But that's just not true. I have it now and I have the following connected:
- PS3 fat model
- XBOX360
- Panasonic BluRay (Region B)
- Sony BDP S360 (Region A)
- XBOX (old model)
- Sony Piqot (DVD player)
- iPhone
- WDTV Live HD

Everything works great...
I also had Wii but I've sold it recently.

The user manual is very clear and it's not so difficult to connect all.
You just have to read carefully everything and assign every connected player that you have to the right port. That's it! :clap:

No hassle whatsoever.

Barry_

Thats the point - i was agreeing with you after my prior "look before you leap post", Stinaris implied that amazon reviews would suggust lots of people were having issues with this and the PS3 and i could only fine one post mentioning a PS3.

Take it you got the original issue sorted?

Also, you properly already found out but in regards to your question to 3D & PS3 HDMI Ports.

All PS3 have 1.3 ports, 3D works fine on the PS3 (720P x 2 - I believe) - just need to make sure you have a decent High Speed 1.3 HDMI cable. (not necessary to buy a "1.4" cable)

jwalsh82

Set both audio HDMI options in VIDEO to Bitstream. Then run the setup. Make sure your amp can decode the HD Tracks and make sure it is selected on the bluray movie istself.

Top Bottom