PS3 and 360 And Revolution - not vs.

J

JayList

I was reading Edge magazine (they were pretty cold on the 360 stuff) and about the Revolution and it got me thinking.

We have 3 consoles here that can deliver three potentially differant things.

The Xbox 360 is next gen PC architecture, hence it looks good but is no revolution in graphics. However this makes PC ports very easy as well due to shared dev kits so expect a large library of quality games with great but not paradigm breaking graphics.

The live features are also the best of any console.

PS3 will perhaps deliver true next gen graphics but only on some titles due to the potential cost of coding for this.

So the PS3 will have some games that the others just can't emulate but a lot of other games that are the same as the other 2. It also has lots of multi media features like Blu Ray and dual HDMI that the others don't.

Revolution is chasing the market of casual gamers and jaded gamers and non gamers. By changing the empasis from polygons and performance to interactivity and fun Nintendo may end up with a completley differant market to Sony and MS. With some unique games designer for casual and non gamers. The revo controller will deliver some unique and compelling propositions. Perhaps even getting our wifes/partners to play!

So I can see that perhaps they will all thrive due to the different nature of each console.

I am sure the in terms of pure market share one will have the most, but this may be irrelevant due to the differing nature of the consoles. Ninty are making a profit on every console sold, MS are breaking even, and Sony will sell at a loss, at least initially.

Hence Sony have to sell the most to recoup their money, followed by MS and nintendo. If the market share reflects this then non have necessarily lost.

I am not pitching this as one is better than other blah blah. Just trying to explain how possibly they will all co-exist.

I will buy all three. :D

IU am sure I will buy all three at some point too. I always get the first next gen console out and then wait for the games on the next consoles to force me to purchase the next console. I give xbox the thumbs up for the last gen although I loved the PS2 when it first came out and have recently found the joy of Resi 4 on the gamecube.

silkyandy x said:
IU am sure I will buy all three at some point too. I always get the first next gen console out and then wait for the games on the next consoles to force me to purchase the next console. I give xbox the thumbs up for the last gen although I loved the PS2 when it first came out and have recently found the joy of Resi 4 on the gamecube.

Although they share a number of titles there are always gems on differant platforms

JayList said:
Although they share a number of titles there are always gems on differant platforms

Exactly - my console buying is driven by the games on the platform. The X360is the first time that hasn't been the case, hence I'm still deliberating whether to cancel my pre-order!

Tejstar said:
Exactly - my console buying is driven by the games on the platform. The X360is the first time that hasn't been the case, hence I'm still deliberating whether to cancel my pre-order!

For me , x360 will enable me to play my pc games in a far more causal enviroment (like morrowind , much easier using a joypad on the sofa, than keyboard and mouse on the table), as well as enabling more online play.

There are no 'killer games' like Halo etc yet. However there are significant number of quality titles on release that added together make it a worthwhile proposition.

I think that Gears of war, Halo 3 etc will make there mark, but not in the first 6 months.

I love that fact that I can get a games platform now, that will beat PC's for the next couple of years at least.

And it gives me something to do till Ps3 comes out! :smashin:

JayList said:
I think that Gears of war, Halo 3 etc will make there mark, but not in the first 6 months.

Gears of War is the main game I'm looking forward to but unfortunately that is not expected until spring next year. May hold off until then, or even wait for Halo 3 (although that probably won't arrive until next xmas :( )

Tejstar said:
Gears of War is the main game I'm looking forward to but unfortunately that is not expected until spring next year. May hold off until then, or even wait for Halo 3 (although that probably won't arrive until next xmas :( )

Maybe Q2 release, I would guess may or later. :(

JayList said:
The Xbox 360 is next gen PC architecture, hence it looks good but is no revolution in graphics. However this makes PC ports very easy as well due to shared dev kits so expect a large library of quality games with great but not paradigm breaking graphics.

Not necessay, Quake4 failed misserably. Sure, it's 1gen of games on x360 but given how similar are x360 and PS3 I don't see how will former have a big advantage there.

but given how similar are x360 and PS3 I don't see how will former have a big advantage there.
The design and structure of the XBox 360 and the PS3 are substantially very different. The XBox 360 has much more in common with the PC hence the comments made about the ease of porting between the two platforms.

Quake4 failed misserably
In what why has/did Quake IV 'fail'?

Rasczak said:
In what why has/did Quake IV 'fail'?

Failure is probably too strong a word, but I have to say I was disappointed that the multiplayer aspect of the game. Was hoping for an improvement over QIII Arena but couldn't say I enjoyed it more.

I have to say I was disappointed that the multiplayer aspect of the game
Ah yes. In that respect I'm inclined to agree - personally I was hoping for a return to the golden age of Q1 Threewave CTF complete with grappling hook and fast paced gameplay. But it's just Q3III with different guns :(

That said the single player game more than makes up for it IMHO.

Rasczak said:
Ah yes. In that respect I'm inclined to agree - personally I was hoping for a return to the golden age of Q1 Threewave CTF complete with grappling hook and fast paced gameplay. But it's just Q3III with different guns :(

That said the single player game more than makes up for it IMHO.

Tbh I haven't played much of the single-player yet but have heard it is much better than the multi-player. Ah completely forgot about the grappling hook… happy days! :D

Havent played Quake 4, and i probably never will. It doesnt seem to bring anything new or revolutionary to the table.

Im more than happy with a game like "Battle Field 2" on the PC that has a truly amazing multy player element.

Qake 4 is simply to far behind the times and no more than a graphical update to
Quake III.
Same goes for the "Unreal II" team and probably whatever else they have up their sleve next.

However, with Unreal "Tournament 2003", there was a stroke of genious in the "Onslaught" mode of the game which proved to be the most popular by far.

As for Edges`s take on it all. I totaly agree with what they said.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom