PS3 720P and 1080i picture too soft, help!

FL310

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a PS3, Toshiba HD-DVD, HD DVR cable box, and a Panasonic AE900U 720P LCD projector. The three HD sources are connected via component cables through an Audio Authority automatic switcher. When I watch either the HD-DVD player or HD cable box, the picture looks amazing. The picture is clear and 3D like. When I use the PS3 for games, homemade HD videos, and to view HD trailers downloaded from the PS3 store the picture is amazing and clear.

Now to the issue. When I watch blu-ray or standard DVD movies on the PS3, the picture is too soft as it relates to the sharpness. The rest of the picture looks great, but the sharpness is too soft. I tried changing several items such as 720P to 1080i, but didn't notice any change. The projector senses 720P/60 or 1080i depending on whats been selected on the PS3. I have tried changing several BD settings to no avail. Do I have a defective PS3? Did I miss a setting in the PS3? Should I get an HDMI cable to connect to my projector? What are your thoughts.

Thanks,

GP

Hello everyone,

I have a PS3, Toshiba HD-DVD, HD DVR cable box, and a Panasonic AE900U 720P LCD projector. The three HD sources are connected via component cables through an Audio Authority automatic switcher. When I watch either the HD-DVD player or HD cable box, the picture looks amazing. The picture is clear and 3D like. When I use the PS3 for games, homemade HD videos, and to view HD trailers downloaded from the PS3 store the picture is amazing and clear.

Now to the issue. When I watch blu-ray or standard DVD movies on the PS3, the picture is too soft as it relates to the sharpness. The rest of the picture looks great, but the sharpness is too soft. I tried changing several items such as 720P to 1080i, but didn't notice any change. The projector senses 720P/60 or 1080i depending on whats been selected on the PS3. I have tried changing several BD settings to no avail. Do I have a defective PS3? Did I miss a setting in the PS3? Should I get an HDMI cable to connect to my projector? What are your thoughts.

Thanks,

GP

Try a cheap HDMI cable from Ebay. Quality isn't important with HDMI over short runs (and not that very over longer runs either).

Definetely the cables use an HDMi.

I tried hooking my PS3 up via component once just to see if there was any difference. It is like night and day component gives a softer blurred image.:eek:

use an HDMi cable to connect the ps3 to the pj

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a 35' HDMI cable and should have it by the end of the week. I will report back with an update. It's just odd that everything else displays perfectly, but blu-ray movies and DVD's sharpness is too soft. By the way, I have tried several blu-ray movies new and old with the same result.

Thanks again,

GP

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom