PS3 40GB makes noise when switched off?

andyb123

Novice Member
Hope someone can help. Got a PS3 40GB version last week. All is fine except when I turn it off including at the wall socket I can hear a high pitched noise coming from the main console for about 2 minutes. Is this normal and just the console cooling down. Its not very noticeable but standing near it I can hear this noise.

Jay

Banned
Hope someone can help. Got a PS3 40GB version last week. All is fine except when I turn it off including at the wall socket I can hear a high pitched noise coming from the main console for about 2 minutes. Is this normal and just the console cooling down. Its not very noticeable but standing near it I can hear this noise.
Mine makes a noise but it doesn't last for 2 minutes. it's just a matter of seconds.

andyb123

Novice Member
Mine makes a noise but it doesn't last for 2 minutes. it's just a matter of seconds.
I have not timed it but it is atleast 30 seconds almost sounds like a whining noise but not very loud, do you think this is normal and does the fan come on and off during game play?

Jay

Banned
I have not timed it but it is atleast 30 seconds almost sounds like a whining noise but not very loud, do you think this is normal and does the fan come on and off during game play?
Yes this is completely normal and is nothing to worry about.

andyb123

Novice Member
Yes this is completely normal and is nothing to worry about.
Sorry is that yes to the fan coming on and off and also the whine noise on turning off. Just a little paranoid as I finally got rid of yet another faulty xbox 360 and have now taken the plunge by getting a PS3?

I've never heard it.

Jay

Banned
Sorry is that yes to the fan coming on and off and also the whine noise on turning off. Just a little paranoid as I finally got rid of yet another faulty xbox 360 and have now taken the plunge by getting a PS3?
Yes to both :) You'll probably hear a little faint rattling noise too, a rrrring sound if you listen close enough.

To be honest since having the 360 a lot of people are paranoid (myself included) and any little noise I hear makes me question whether it's normal. I was never like this with the ps2 etc.

andyb123

Novice Member
Yes to both :) You'll probably hear a little faint rattling noise too, a rrrring sound if you listen close enough.

To be honest since having the 360 a lot of people are paranoid (myself included) and any little noise I hear makes me question whether it's normal. I was never like this with the ps2 etc.
Yeah im very paranoid. Had three xbox 360s break and the lastone went back twice for the same freezing issue so traded it in and got the PS3. COD4 looks the same as the xbox version and unchartered drakes adventure is awesome, only thing I miss is the lack of dual shock but that is on the way shortly? Will the games now work with the new controller or do you think we will have to wait for newer games to come out that utilise it?

Could you please check your PS3 for me next time you turn the power off and see how long it makes the noise for?

Thanks

Jay

Banned
Yeah im very paranoid. Had three xbox 360s break and the lastone went back twice for the same freezing issue so traded it in and got the PS3. COD4 looks the same as the xbox version and unchartered drakes adventure is awesome, only thing I miss is the lack of dual shock but that is on the way shortly? Will the games now work with the new controller or do you think we will have to wait for newer games to come out that utilise it?

Could you please check your PS3 for me next time you turn the power off and see how long it makes the noise for?

Thanks
The dual shock 3 will work with older games. You will just have to download a patch that enables the rumble.

Yes no probs I'l let you know how long the noise lasts for. From memory it's about tenish seconds.

Jay

Banned
I've never heard it.
It is not really loud, you would need to be right up to it to hear it. It's similar to the noise a pc makes once it has powered down.
Some people don't notice it, they are probably the people that swear the ps3 is completely silent :)
On a serious note it's just one of those things that some people are fussy about and notice more than others, it's the same for dead pixels, I'll always notice them and keep focusing on them whilst others won't notice them.

andyb123

Novice Member
ok checked my console again last night. After playing or even if the console is in standby with red light on. If I then switch it off at the back or at the actual plug this is when I get the strange high pitched noise coming from the console for approximately 60 seconds. If I then turn it back on either at the plug or the button on the back the noise stops immediately (thats if it is still within the 60 seconds).

Is this the console winding down once turned off or an actual fault?, can anyone here the noise I am talking about?

Any help much appreciated.

supermackem

You got any usb things connected, ive noticed since hooking up a remote which draws power even when the ps3 is in standby and i can hear the fans on a little.

andyb123

Novice Member
You got any usb things connected, ive noticed since hooking up a remote which draws power even when the ps3 is in standby and i can hear the fans on a little.
No nothing connected at all. Like I said the noise is only there once I turn any power to the actual console off. I then hear this noise for about 60 seconds?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom