PS3 4:3 playback on Seinfeld disks

mrapbp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Having an odd thing happening with my Seinfeld disks (all seasons so far) and its playing them all in a 4:3 ratio.

Checked the disks elsewhere and they are fine and have checked the settings on the PS3 and they are OK (also no other disks do it?)

Any ideas?

Cheers!

What format were they originally in? 4:3?
Does your PS3 have upscaling enabled?
How is your TV set? Widescreen, Auto, Zoom etc?

sounds like you have the ps3 dvd upscaling set to normal, just alter this setting to full to view them at fullscreen ie - no left and right borders :clap:

sounds like you have the ps3 dvd upscaling set to normal, just alter this setting to full to view them at fullscreen ie - no left and right borders :clap:

that was what I was going to suggest. Not sure why the PS3 does this...

that was what I was going to suggest. Not sure why the PS3 does this...

it does it because it should, when set to normal it will display a dvd encoded with a 4:3 image in the correct ratio, this is how the image should be displayed if you want to view it as it was broadcast.

setting it to fullscreen and getting rid of the side borders to fill the screen is artificially expanding the image, even tho thats how most of us view 4:3 material these days the ps3 is correct in what it does.

it does it because it should, when set to normal it will display a dvd encoded with a 4:3 image in the correct ratio, this is how the image should be displayed if you want to view it as it was broadcast.

setting it to fullscreen and getting rid of the side borders to fill the screen is artificially expanding the image, even tho thats how most of us view 4:3 material these days the ps3 is correct in what it does.

I know what you are saying, I am sure my previous upscaling DVD player didn't to this. The PS3 does some other weird things like showing intros, extras shrunk down on the screen, but showing the movie in the wide screen format.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom