PS3 3D Gaming - Some Games Work, Some Don’t!!

polmac

Standard Member
This problem is doing my head in!
My PS3 is connected via HDMI to my Anthem MRX 510 receiver, then via HDMI to my 3D tv. It plays Killzone 3, Uncharted 3 and GT5 in 3D without problems - the amp detects the signal.
But when I try Avatar the Game, and COD Black Ops 2, the amp fails to detect the 3D signal (having obviously changed the in-game display settings to 3D mode). The tv screen does show the blurred 3D image, but because the amp isn’t detecting it, the glasses fail to activate.
When I connect directly to tv, the glasses activate, but this isn’t a permanent solution as I want surround sound. Can anyone please explain why it only works in some games, and not others?

iamsludge

At a guess I’d say some games might be using different resolutions that the amp doesn’t recognise as valid for 3D? Try changing the scaling option?

Darbo

Check your hdmi lead from the amp to the tv isn't an old one, the amp should just pass the signal through untouched and have nothing to do with any 3d processing but if some games are outputting at a higher resolution then the bandwidth needed might exceed the lead, which would also explain why it works when you connect directly.

Last edited:

polmac

Standard Member
At a guess I’d say some games might be using different resolutions that the amp doesn’t recognise as valid for 3D? Try changing the scaling options?
Well, the only game that offers different options for 3d is Avatar - I tried them all, but none are recognised by the amp.

iamsludge

To add to what Darbo said I would also try without the amp direct to the TV twice e.g. once with each cable to try and identify if one is less capable than the other. If both cables work direct then it’s almost certain the amp is the issue of course.

I am assuming your cables are not crazy short or crazy long as both extremes can cause issues. E.g. if your cable from PS to amp is short and this is the one you tried direct to the TV but your cable from amp to TV is really long - it may be the long hdmi cable that is the issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom