PS3 3D crosstalk - Problem on all 3D TVs?

Jaggie

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have now tested two 3D plasma screens with my PS3:
LG 60PX950N (PX990 in UK) and
Samsung PS63C7705 (C7000 in UK)

Both of these tv sets are capable of displaying side-by-side video clips with very little crosstalk, but when I'm trying to play any PS3 game (GT5, Black Ops, Tumble, Motorstorm 3D Rift, Wipeout HD), the crosstalk is just horrible.

I have tried the games on two different PS3 consoles (neither of which are of the newer Slim model though) and with two different HDMI cabels (one of which is v1.4), with the same result: Unbearable crosstalk. I would guess that, at its worst, ~50% of each image is leaked to the other eye. The 3D effect can still be seen, but most of the time is quite painful to watch to be honest.

What is wrong? Are there some settings in the PS3 (or in the TVs) that I might have missed? Is the PS3 Slim better at 3D? Are there some crosstalk issues with the current PS3 firmware? Or is it just that the current 3D TVs simply cannot display decent sequential 3D image (I mean, 3D video which is received in sequential form via HDMI), because of e.g. synchronisation issues with 3D glasses?

Below some screenshots from Motorstorm (on 60PX950N), which is actually one of the most playable 3D games, taken through the left lens of the shutter glasses (actually in these still images the crosstalk doesn't look half as bad as it really is):

For the next photo, the brightness of the TV is turned to maximum to absolutely minimize the crosstalk, but it's still very clearly visible - look at the rooftop of the house on the right as well as the ghost cars (again, looks much worse in real life):

Those screenshots look a lot worse than my c7000. I would get an engineer to see it.

I think some crosstalk is to be expected. Playing GT5 last night and there was ZERO crosstalk until it got to the night tracks and when you went into the cockpit view

Try superstardust HD, this game has no crosstalk on my tv

I've got the samsung 680 and ps3 slim and i get alot of crosstalk on every 3d game i've tried, also watched avatar on 3d blu ray and this also has crosstalk in nearly every scene. I read somewhere that samsung are bringing out better glasses next year which reduce crosstalk.

I think it could be to do with the glasses, the tv goes so bright when in 3d mode and the glasses cant filter out the ghosted part of the image. Just a guess anyway

Thank you all for your comments. I would also suspect the TV or the glasses - had it not looked almost the same on Samsung PS63C7705.

Today I had a chance to play Motorstorm on Sony's 52HX903, and there was some minor crosstalk, but considerably less.

So the big question is, which PS3s do you have? The both PS3s I have tested my 3D TVs with are quite old ('07 and '08 models), the one I tested today was a new PS3 Slim. So is it possible that the newer models handle the 3D better? I know that some improvements have been made to the HDMI port of the Slim (addition of CEC support at least).

Hi, I have a PS3 and the game you mention above all running on my Samsung 50" 7000 3D TV…

Those screenshots look a lot worse than my c7000.

I've got the samsung 680 and ps3 slim and i get alot of crosstalk on every 3d game i've tried

Samsung PS (plasma) or UE/LE (LCD) series television?

Ok, so it's not about the PS3 model: Bought a new Slim PS3 today, and the crosstalk remains... Having now tried 2 (plasma!) 3D TVs, 3 PS3s, 3 HDMI cables, and 5 games - and experienced horrible crosstalk with every combination - I'm really starting to believe that there is some strange energy field at my home which causes synchronisation issues with my TVs and 3D glasses... maybe a black hole nearby?!?

I have the old 60Gb PS3 and very little crosstalk with PS50C69000

Very little crosstalk on my old style PS3 with my 46VT20.

Small amount on GT5 when there is white against black but nothing to offputting. This is in car view. Paralax 4. convergance 0.90.

Super Stardust HD is perfect but then its not to complex.

COD Black ops also looks way better than i thought it would as heard bad things about cod in 3D. A little crosstalk on the Follow writing and a few other very minor ocassions. Nothing to bad. Detail does seem to take a fair hit though. This was on my Xbox360 not sure if PS3 any different.

I just tested the level on motorstorm in your last screen shot and i had to turn it off as the crosstalk was that bad it was hurting my eyes. I have a ps3 slim and samsung plasma 680, to be honest if the new glasses samsung are bringing out don't improve the crosstalk then i think we'll be stuck with ghosting untill the 2nd generation 3dtv's come out. I can mess with contrast, brightness and 3d viewpoint but the crosstalk is always there for me. Maybe passive sets would be the way to go as i'd rather have a lesser resolution and a crosstalk free image.

I just tested the level on motorstorm in your last screen shot and i had to turn it off as the crosstalk was that bad it was hurting my eyes. I have a ps3 slim and samsung plasma 680, to be honest if the new glasses samsung are bringing out don't improve the crosstalk then i think we'll be stuck with ghosting untill the 2nd generation 3dtv's come out. I can mess with contrast, brightness and 3d viewpoint but the crosstalk is always there for me. Maybe passive sets would be the way to go as i'd rather have a lesser resolution and a crosstalk free image.

Where did you read that are Samsung bringing out new 3D Glasses?

I heard that Sony will soon be given out different lenses which get rid of the ghosting problem.

I have an 2008 80gb PS3 and a samsung ps50c6900 and i experience crosstalk but only in darkscenes.

Downloaded killzone 3 and the 3d effect is absolutely amazing until you go into dark dark room then there is loads of crosstalk and transparency. Same with the cockpit view of Gt5, when it is dark there is loads of crosstalk but if you go into the crosstalk view in the 50's sl on the nuremburg track then wow the 3d is amazing because the cockpit is all lit up by natural sunlight. i really dont understand why there is crosstalk in dark scenes or why they cant get around it its bizzare?

For you guys who are having mega trouble no matter what try a firmware update i know that has helped people?

What number firmware are you running?

It's the latest dated I believe it went live on the 3rd of Feb 2011. Do you have the same problems?

i think one way or another all the first gen 3d tv's will have a certain amount of crosstalk. I wonder how many people who bought a 1st gen tv will get another one this year... i would imagine some who are really interested in 3D would do just that.

Very right us 3d owners are going to be in the testing stages but hopefully with updates they give hardware these days better and better software will give us great experiences.

Samsung have ditched the infra red glasses and the new ones will be synchronised using bluetooth. They are not going to work with your current tv's and they have no plans to bring out a bluetooth dongle to make them compatible. You're all out of luck I'm afraid.

The only way you will get zero crosstalk is a passive set such as the LG LD47950 which is the only model right now to offer passive 3d.

2011 Samsung active models are being touted to be much improved in 3d image and crosstalk and new realD 3d Samsung RZD passive sets are to be announced hopefully very soon. LG will also be releasing a range of new 'cinema 3D' passive sets in the next month or so. Samsung are claiming the RZD's will have 1080p resolution in passive 3d where the LG sets will be 540p in 3d.

2010 owners have effectively been used as guinea pigs to test out the infra red glasses and the 3D tv's.

Wow that's not good to hear but ye have little faith I believe that 3d has stronger development in developers and film makers as some 3d content i have viewed is remarkable. I believe as developers get their heads around this new technology they will bring better higher quality 3d to our homes regardless of what tv you have. Downloading the killzone 3 3d single player demo now so I'll let you know!! Cheers for the info guys

Samsung have ditched the infra red glasses and the new ones will be synchronised using bluetooth. They are not going to work with your current tv's and they have no plans to bring out a bluetooth dongle to make them compatible. You're all out of luck I'm afraid.

The only way you will get zero crosstalk is a passive set such as the LG LD47950 which is the only model right now to offer passive 3d.

Passive doesn't give zero Crosstalk, but it's as close to it as you're likely to get (I've tried cinema passive and the LG and can still see it, much less than on my active plasma though).

The downside is the image takes a bit of a hit, some people don't seem to notice it but it was night and day for me.

killzone 3 single player is immense!! check it out guys i hope im not the only one who thinks this btw you have to be a psp+ member

Passive doesn't give zero Crosstalk, but it's as close to it as you're likely to get (I've tried cinema passive and the LG and can still see it, much less than on my active plasma though).

The downside is the image takes a bit of a hit, some people don't seem to notice it but it was night and day for me.

I am quite surprised you can tell the difference in resolution. I really cannot at 2+ meters ..Its true you don't get 0 crosstalk but it is so very close and you cannot see it unless you pause the content and sit and look for it...

Compared to the 3D plasma c680 it is like night and day. Same content just unable to see the crosstalk with the LG. The samsung was unusable for some content and the whole family stopped wanting to use the 3D but with the LG the 3D is simple and easy to watch and we are back to having a 3D night once a week :)

The games are far better... Avatar on the xbox was terrible on the samsung and unplayable with the amount of crosstalk and again on the LG its the way it should be. Its not a perfect set but the only issue I have with it should be fixed on Friday (Tomorrow) with the firmware update to fix the 3D bluray frame locking.

Some of the 3D trailers I have downloaded some of the scenes have two figures in the scene where the crosstalk is so bad on the samsung. Same content on the LG there is 0 crosstalk. The only time I have seen it was by pausing the content and getting as close as I could within the 3D limit and looking for it..

Crosstalk for me almost put me off buy into 3D (once I managed to refund my second samsung). It gives you a headache as your eyes try to refocus. I consider this to be a fault on the set. So the first thing I did when I got the LG is load all the scenes with crosstalk on...Its why I am keeping this set, I have yet to see crosstalk on normal viewing of any of the films, games and downloaded content. For me its the way 3D at home should be. I would love to see this tech improve to double screen res and on plasma's.

Do you actually own one of these as it sounds like you've been standing 1m from the set :confused:

Even if you do you're still going to get a better 3D experience as cross-talk will remain close to zero and you're simply notice the line structure of the image (which is bit like getting too close to an old 625 line set). You should not of course sit too close to any 3D set as that is simply asking for viewing issues.

The superiority of the passive system is chalk & cheese to me. I played the Panasonic 3D demo on the LG and it looked absolutely fantastic! I was OK until the mention of the 3D active glasses at which point I'm afraid to say I then fell about laughing. Wearing the simple polarized glasses you get the distinct impression you're watching some archaic advertising blurb for a technology that became obsolete years ago :laugh:

It's true the LG 47LD950 isn't perfect but any problems it has aren't in the 3D department. The only time active is ever going to match present passive technology is once they get the cross-talk issues fully resolved - which frankly I can't see happening - and passive technology is likely to have moved forward by then anyway.

Do you actually own one of these as it sounds like you've been standing 1m from the set :confused:

Nope, just had the pleasure to use it, it was a very nice set. I just didn't find the image as sharp or vibrant as through shutter glasses. As you say though the lack of Cross Talk is definitely, definitely a bonus.

I (personally) just flat our prefer Plasma sets over LCD, so the difference could merely have been that, rather than the difference between Active and Passive. If I could get a 3D passive Plasma then I'd no doubt jump on it.

So my comparison probably isn't fair, it would be fairer to compare a 1080p Active LCD and the LG passive, which I haven't had chance to do.

::edit:: Here's CNETs side by side comparison of passive vs active. Of course, again, the sets are completely and utterly different so it's debatable how fair it is:

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0,39037594,62206199,00.htm

Last edited:
I (personally) just flat our prefer Plasma sets over LCD, so the difference could merely have been that, rather than the difference between Active and Passive. If I could get a 3D passive Plasma then I'd no doubt jump on it.
Yes; I go along with that :smashin:

I'd be happy with plasma + passive (subject to good black levels)

The LG LX990 + passive should be another good contender with it's fantastic black levels.

That said, I'm very pleased with my LD950 but just wish I could watch it with all the lights out like I could with my old Toshiba 36" CRT ;)

Last edited:
That said, I'm very pleased with my LD950 but just wish I could watch it with all the lights out like I could with my old Toshiba 36" CRT ;)

you almost had me ready to buy one until then, why cant you watch in the dark shouldnt it make it better :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom