PS3/360 Differences Causing Problems

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by AQU4RIUS, May 2, 2007.

1. AQU4RIUS

AQU4RIUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/ga...articleId=20070501152537609018&sectionId=1006

2. AJUK

AJUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    yeah, thats the problem we're going to have with these multi format releases, i don't think it will make a massive difference tbh but i think you will soon start to notice ps3 exclusives starting to look better thamn that of the 360's.

3. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    It is from OPM so.... possibly fanboyish.

4. Bojanglez

Bojanglez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I hope Sony will put extra work in to the next Getaway game, to highlight just how much the 360 has held back GTA. The best way to get people to buy the console is to show it doing things that the rivals are simply not capable of.

I don't hold much hope for this happening as the previous Getaway games don't come close the GTA, but I can dream.

5. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Seems simple to me -

If HDD detected, cache what you can and load faster, if not detected then don't.

More than 9Gb needed, use a 2nd disc.

Next ....

PS - Fanboy title, if you read the article, it even says that the PS3 has an equal amount of challenges ...

6. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Nothing wrong with Rainbow 6, Gears of War and also the 360 version will be using the same engine as table tennis and that was done in someones lunch time.! They are just pushing the format war! You know the old you have to get it in this format as you get an extra car or something stupid. :nono:

If you also look at the PC games maket has that also suffered as it uses either cd or dvd ?

Why don't they all play ball and that way you could have ps3 vs 360 vs pc on one game! online matches. ;)

7. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    Now that would be cool, online platform wars.:rotfl:

Which side would I pick though. I'd be like, a soldier for hire.:eek:

8. FoolsGold

FoolsGold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Bit of a fanboy thread this to be honest. The title could have been PS3/360 differences causing problems - which would be far closer to the truth.

If Sony hadnt made such a mess of the PS3 then this would be irrelevant as it would probably on be on the PS3 only but its user base is that small and losing ground they cannot. Companies cannot afford to do that - they need to make for as many customers as possbile. Games cost ££££££££'s to make these days and the PS3 sales are heading south.

Personally I think they should make the 360 HDs really cheap so Core users can buy them and let developers make games for 360s with HDs only if they wish to use more capacity. This would surely help make things a bit more standard.

9. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    .. er Live Anywhere ... ?

Shadowrun is the first cross platform game I believe - 360 vs PC on Xbox Live ...

PS3 may join the party later, who knows ...

10. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Why not across all and for free ! :smashin: That would make EA happy :D

11. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Its using a modified version of the Rage engine used in Table Tennis, obviously Table Tennis isn't as expansive as an open city you can roam and it doesn't have multiple moving models in the same scene, in this scenario engines don't matter that much, its how the engine is used that matters most as I hardly think table tennis was pushing the hardware or the engine to its limits.

NO because the game files are compresssed in to cabinet archives when then get uncompressed during installation, these files then get read from the hard drive, very little data if any is read from a disc now whilst playing a game on a PC as they're normally only there for security reasons on a PC game, therefore the medium used for PC games is only relevant for the ease of installation as opposed to playing a game.

Zing!

12. DPT1976

DPT1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Final fantasy XI is cross-platform - PS2 - PC so if it's something that people want then i can't see any reason why it wouldn't happen for PS3 also.

13. LemonGrab

LemonGrab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
  14. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    Mod Comment

I'm changing the title of this thread to that suggested by FoolsGold.

I will also ask that we discuss hardware differences and the problems they can cause rather than anything to do with fanboyism.

If the thread decends in to a 360 vs PS3 argument, again, then I have no choice but to close it.

Thanks, Dave.

15. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Not quite as simple as that, it takes alot of code to do this because you have to do some optimisations for when caching isn't available, access times of reading from a cd can severly impact a game as their latency is alot higher than that of a hard drive, factor that in with the engine pre-loading and uncompressing textures when it thinks it needs them and the latency can severly impact performance as the rest of the system waits for the load to take place. If you're guaranteed a hard drive you don't have to factor in these "what if"'s.

You can already see differences in Oblvion, play it WITH the hard drive and then play it without, its alot less worry and code if you've guaranteed some cache to play with in systems with limited memory.

16. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    shows it can be done though. And for a developer like Rockstar, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

17. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sure it can be done but its not a very nice gaming experience compared to what it could be, and considering how buggy san andreas was I don't have that much faith in Rockstar, hopefully they'll suprise me.

18. CeeJay775

CeeJay775

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Its not only GTA4 I am sure all game development has its problems, I would of thought even more if it is going on more than one platform. The reason for the thread originaly was to state the PS3 will be plan sailing and all the trouble was from the 360, reading between the lines thats simply not true.

19. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    i supose rockstar had a choice - make it PS3 only and have it plain sailing.

or make it PS3/360 with development headaches but LOADS of M$ cash.

decisions decisions :rotfl:

20. runam0k

runam0k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    This is Waiting?

The article is pretty clear, it's some people's reactions that are fanboyish. Like this one:

I just love that cast iron belief, against all evidence so far to the contrary, that Cell and Blu Rayz can create games X360 simply isn't capable of. Good on ya. :)

BTW the version R* are showing to the press is X360...

21. SquintingBadger

SquintingBadger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it just me or did I read this exact comment from Rockstar about a year ago? Looks like OPM is trying to stir things up.

22. winstano

winstano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    And then...

:rolleyes:

This is a plea. Can we please refrain from the use of the term "fanboy" on these forums now? It's getting ridiculous, and seems like such a stupid term to sling around... So what if people like one console more? I prefer my PS3 to my mate's 360, but I'll concede that there's a fair amount of decent titles that're only on 360 (GOW for one)...

I'm just fed up of seeing the 'f' word lobbed about so much as an excuse instead of intelligent discussion going on... It just seems that if someone says "I prefer the PS3 because of this", someone will just shout "Fanboy!" and that just makes it descend into a silly slanging match...

23. AQU4RIUS

AQU4RIUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23

that is the bottom line.

the 360 has a huge user base, and so will be the more attractive option for developers (even though its the inferior product IMO)

24. reddevil63

reddevil63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
  25. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    No doubt MS should have shipped a HDD with every 360, and wireless, silly not to IMO, but the core is out there.

As said its not all that hard to detect if a 360 has a hdd and use it for cache, but you cant rely on it to install games onto nor stream data off mid game, like you can with the PS3's HDD (BR drive being slower than the DVD rom for streaming.

The HDD on the pS3 is a definate advantage to developers, though considering you can have 2 core's for one PS3 it does show theres a price to pay. I also wonder what happens when your average PS3 user fills their disk up.

Another thing to think about, in in depth studies the average faliure rate on HDD's is 5% in the first year....

26. AJUK

AJUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I don't know a but that, would you risk making a game that some of your potential customers wouldn't be able to play ? OR would you dumb it down a bit to get more sales ? its not rocket science is it.