PS2 + Z2 + Burnout 2 + prog scan

nunew33

Standard Member
Reaction score
Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
Ultimate dumbass question:

Im connecting to projector via componant. How can I tell if the image is progressive scan? Do I have to select it? or does it do prog scan anyway?

I take it that your xbox is chipped and runs progressive, if so then it should be outputting 480p to the Z2. I tried this the other night and if you go into the Z2 menu and select the input signal mode i.e 480p or 720p you will get a picture on 480p that is identical to the one when the Z2 is set to auto. It really is a shame that the Z2 does not tell you the signal it is receiving via component yet it does via dvi

Er ........I have a PS2.....But the principle of checking the Z2 should be the same so I will checl when I get home

Hmm checked it 480i on 6ohz and 525i on 50hz as expected, no 525p or 480p tho! This game is supposed to support progressive, cant find an option anywhere!

Whilst the game is loading up hold down triangle and X and u will get an extra option to select PS.

Apologies nunew, that will teach me to read posts properly before diving straight in.:blush:

Miles Ive tried it and it didnt do anything! No extra option

Yeah, I think this code only applies to the NTSC version. I ended up buying the US Gamecube version for prog scan as the PAL PS2 one didn't offer it.

I believe this code works (giving 480p) for Primal, The Getaway, and possibly Tekken 4, but that's all for PAL games.

soul calibre 2 is prog scan, as is prince of persia and beyond good and evil. ghost hunter and the big sony games seem to support prog scan too. i hope GT4 will.

I bought Sony's official component video cable for my PAL PS2, but cannot get either Beyond Good & Evil or Prince of Persia to run in progressive scan on my NEC HT1000. They do try, but the screen just corrupts for a few seconds then goes back to interlaced.

This would bother me too much but I get quite a bit of saw-toothing on BG&E and would like to run these games in progressive.

Originally posted by NAI
soul calibre 2 is prog scan, as is prince of persia and beyond good and evil. ghost hunter and the big sony games seem to support prog scan too. i hope GT4 will.
Good to see they're putting it on their new stuff. My PS2's been broken a long time now, I really should post it off to the insurance company and start playing more prog scan games!

How can I tell if the image is progressive scan? Do I have to select it? or does it do prog scan anyway?

It doesn't matter.

If you input an interlaced signal, the projectors onboard de-interlacer converts it to progressive scan.

If you input a progressive picture, the onbaord de-interlacer "switches off" (bypasses), so you see the dvd players efforts at progressive scan.

Either way, you get a progressive scan picture (PAL/NTSC) regardless of what's put in (ie, you CANNOT get an interlaced picture on the screen with a projector - it's ALWAYS glorious Progressive - that's how projectors work).

You can check what the input signal is (interlaced/progressive) by going into one of the menu's in your projector. Remember, this only tells you what the input signal is - the projectors output will ALWAYS be progressive

Progressive scan outputs are ONLY useful for things like CRT TV's that have no on-board de-interlacers of their own

When people say that the projector is getting interlaced signals, it's STILL converting them to progressive because the LCD technology REQUIRES a progressive signal to work. So it either creates it itself or lets the input peripheral create it:lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom