1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 YUV component out

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by keppy, Oct 29, 2003.

1. keppy

keppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've searched the forum and faqs for details on component output from a PS2 - but all seem to point at RGB component only. Is there a cable that allows YUV component out, or is this simply not supported by the console?

Keith

2. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    PS2 Component video cables certainly exist, but tend to be hard to find in this country still.

Here's an example:

Lik-Sang component cable

...but there's a few other places that do them if you hunt around.

Also, if you're handy with a soldering iron, all the connections are available from an RGB cable (just terminate the R,G,B signal wires & their appropriate earths on 3 individual phono plugs).

Don't forget to set the output to component on the PS2 settings screen!

3. BillyNomez

BillyNomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component ps2 cables are available with a bit of searching and ps2 does support it - remember changes in the setup screen !
    Sony do an own brand cable: there is the top notch - top price Monster 400 gamelink which is very rare in the uk and American websites not likely to export to uk.
    I have a Logic3 component AV cable ( model ps475 ) obtained via internet in uk, has a good solid cable with 3 video and two audio RCA plugs - its made in China but seems to do the job well, certainly enhances the pic quality no end.

BRBN

4. keppy

keppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, but i think both of you are referring to RGB component cables, not YUV component. There is a big difference! Any other suggestions?

Keith

5. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No - they are refering to YUV cables which you can get from shop.uk.playstation.com

Regards,
    Neil.

6. keppy

keppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cable is therefore irrelevant - it's the PS2 that outputs either RGB or YUV (or otherwise) and the cable needs correct plugging?

Hence my misunderstanding - apologies.

Keith

7. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yep, that's why I mentioned that if you are handy with a soldering iron (and have some spare phono plugs) you can convert an RGB SCART cable to a component one.

I guess the PS2 conserves space taken up by the video-out port (and maintains compatibilty with the PS1) by re-using the same pins.

8. keppy

keppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,

I only have a composite cable, with the block-like adaptor for SCART input (yellow, white, red in, SCART out), which of course will not give me RGB anyway.

Therefore if I get hold of the official (or otherwise) component cable, and change the setting (how do i get to this BTW?) on the PS2 then I can have YUV out on the 3 video RCA plugs?

Thanks,

Keith

9. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yep, once you get a component cable & change the setting, you're sorted. I can't remember exactly the menu required to change the video output, but you need to start the PS2 with no disc. It is then below one of the configuration menus (there aren't many, so it shouldn't be too hard to find....)

10. daveymacca

daveymacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought an Interact YUV Component from toys'r'us for £8, they had loads of them and the cable is high quality but you don't get any phono connections with it so you'd need to use an optical sound source

11. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
  12. archivedandy

archivedandy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seconded - this is AMAZING quality, the difference from the standard cable is astonishing on my 17" LCD TV

A