ps2 & x box mods. any side affects???

kirk grubb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am pondering on wether to get my ps2 &xbox chipped.
But would like to know that when both consoles go online would there be any side affects :confused: Would there be any games i wouldnt be able to play over the net?
Would sony or ms somehow know my console is chipped and then lock me out?

Sorry for stupid questions but am a bit of a novice at this sort of stuff.

CHEERS

ps2 & x box mods. any side affects???
You are probably safer not to go online with copied games. As in pc games you usualy enter a "CD KEY" number to get the game working on your machine( taken from the inside of an original game case). When you load a copied game into your machine you will probably have a CRACKED GAME which means you will have a cracked CD KEY code. Any moderators checking on the network can see you using a cracked cd code and can view your I.P address. there could be a knock at the door and all your equipment seized and you could end up with a heavy fine for piracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! be warned. If your going to play online just make sure its an original game. you can still chip the machine and save a small fortune on games and it will still run originals. PS my PS2 has been chipped now for a year and i have had no problems.

well fortunately Kirk didn't mention copied games..
With respect to Xbox onlilne with a chipped machine there has been ramblings from a variety of sources that MS will have the ability and tyhe right to check the machine (online) to varify it's condition (if you know what I mean) but most chips are now very clever and will allow you to show the Xbox online 'chipless'..:)
I have my Xbox chipped and now running EvoX and have removed the chip as I no longer need it..my Bios is upgraded to the latest debug version and therefore the chip is no longer required..very clever these hacking chaps..;)

(mini rant) I have a chipped Xbox and a Test PS2 and I manage not to get pulled into the whole piracy world..it can be done. It's a shame as soon as someone posts about chipping someone has to start assuming the owner wants to play copies..very sad..:( (end of rant)

(mini rant) I have a chipped Xbox and a Test PS2 and I manage not to get pulled into the whole piracy world..it can be done. It's a shame as soon as someone posts about chipping someone has to start assuming the owner wants to play copies..very sad..
The main piont of getting a machine chipped for most people is to play copied games, you may not agree but its a fact!:p

Originally posted by martin
The main piont of getting a machine chipped for most people is to play copied games, you may not agree but its a fact!:p

Might be true for the PS2, but with the Xbox it opens up so much more. I can now use my Xbox to watch VCD's and listen to MP3's.
I was also able to alter my US Xbox to PAL and it's now region free and doesn't require a MS DVD dongle to view DVD movies.

As museumsteve said it is a tad sad that the minute someone mentions a mod chip the first thing that springs to mind is piracy.

Alanrob.
i would like too do all these things with my xbox too (as well as play mame on it) but have found the chipping scene a little confusing in regards to the xbox could you give me some advise? what chip have you used?
what about installing a hacked bios?
whats the deal?

thanks, Nathan

Originally posted by titan
Alanrob.
i would like too do all these things with my xbox too (as well as play mame on it) but have found the chipping scene a little confusing in regards to the xbox could you give me some advise? what chip have you used?
what about installing a hacked bios?
whats the deal?

thanks, Nathan

I'm using the Enigmah chip which doesn't allow bios flashing (something I'm not bothered about). There is another chip (Matrix) that's due any day now that doesn't require any soldering - it just gets popped into place on the m/board and fixed with a screw.

Have a look at this site which is a good source of all Xbox chipping info.

The best chip for the xbox is the openbox, or PC bioXX its proper name, as this is a chip that lets you boot your machine as a normal xbox ( ie no chip ) or with the chip activated (default).

The nice thing about this chip is that it is blank , and you can download the bios from any of the chips currently avaqilbe and in the future and flash it.

so if you want an xecuter flash it as that , or if you want the enigmah flash it with that.
when a new chip comes out that gets around online play you just flash it with the new bios.

you just have a parallel socket out the back of the xbox so you dont even have to open the machine once it is installed.

there are 10 solder points to install it and the are all big solder pads , takes 20 mins to do from start to finish ( if you have soldered a psx you can do this )

I have an xecuter in my machine but wish i had one of these instead , did my mates last night and have to say it is the best modchip i have ever seen for any machine.

the main reason I ever get a machine chipped is to play UK games. (I usually buy the native US/Japanese machine)

Yeah, call me crazy, but I'm not interested in playing copied games on my XBox. I'm looking into getting a mod chip for the sole purpose of playing games that aren't going to be released in the UK.

Course, I'm a little worried about joining XBox Live with a chipped XBox, so I've steered clear of it up until now. (although Tekki may force me to take the plunge :D )

Take a look at THIS for an interesting story. Looks like MS is already starting to address piracy, so they could be more likely to scan for modded XBoxes online than I had previously thought.

gizlaroc, sounds like the exact mod chip I'll be buying my Xbox ^_^ Sure would be easier than installing a NEO4.1 on a PS2 (44 wires of HELL!).

I chipped my PS2 with the Messiah and its working perfectly. Just to add fuel to the rant, I don't buy copied videogames. Period. The reason why I've modded my PSX and PS2 is to play import games, either because the said titles will not be released in Europe, or because of having the game in its original state - Full screen, full speed. Release dates is also a factor.

Love the current Xbox dev scene as well since people can get into the system quite easily and make such great progs for us all ^_^ EvoX is a superb start and the possibilities are endless... I haven't looked at the scene recently (had loads of fun upgrading software and crap) but it would be nice if they added mouse+keyboard support for FPS...

For future consoles I might do the same as Richard, but the transformer thing is still a bit of a grey area.. I know my Gamecube only requires 37W or something to work, so I bought a 100W step-down transformer and have left it plugged in with no problems. For an Xbox I would need a 200-300W step-down just to be on the safe side... I suppose I could just unplug the thing ^_^

Microsoft are phasing in a new revision of the Xbox boards across their manufacturing plants. They haven't reached Europe yet, but it's only a matter of time. The effect is that none of the current mod chips/kits on the market can be fitted to the new hardware.
It's only a matter of time before new kits become available that can be fitted to the new hardware, but there's nothing to stop MS pulling the same trick again.

The article I read stated that the new rvision was oly coming out of one factory at the moment. I'll try and find a link.

Yup. Sorry about that.

Where do you get your pirate games ?

i live in nottingham, and i dont know anyone that does 'em!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom