1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2/X-Box/GameCube emulation on PC - the quick, easy answer please

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by TheBoingoBandit, Aug 20, 2004.

1. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I am possibly soon looking to buy a brand new high-spec PC to use as a music jukebox, DVD player/recorder etc. Basically to cut down on the boxes I have.

I have heard previously that there is different PC software titles available that can emulate PlayStation 1/PlayStation 2/X-Box/GameGube games.

The questions I'd like to ask are:

How easy is it to buy the emulation software and how much is it?

I would be buying all games as original software not pirated, how reliable is the emulation software at running emulated games?

Does the emulation software create a delay and make playing out of sync?

What's the minimum spec of PC I would need to do this?

(Before you PC game freaks moan, I don't want to upgrade my PC every five minute and prefer console-type games to PC games hence I won't be playing many PC games on this machine.) ;)

Thanks in advance for any help! :thumbsup:

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    You have been slightly misled.

The PC can emulate everything up to the Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube and X-Box. It isn't powerful enough to emulate those consoles yet or programmers haven't figured it out yet.

Most Emus you download from the net from various emulation sites, they are free.

The only emulation you could get the original software for would be PS1, the other ROMs you would be downloading and having illegally, there really is no other way round it unless you buy the actual hardware.

As long as your PC is fairly recent, above a 1Ghz processor and a reasonable graphics card, the emulation is spot on, no slowdown. It can be fiddly getting some emulators to run, especially ones for computers like the Amiga Emulators and Arcade machines.

3. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

I've sure I read a year or two ago about PC software Sony were trying to stop because it did PS2 emulation.

Never mind, I'll think I'll buy an actual now reduced PS2. (NO! I don't want a bloody X-Box!)

Thanks anyway! :)

4. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    A good few years ago, Sony did have a big fight with Bleem!, who made a commercial PS1 emulator, and sold it to the public. Cases kept going between the two parties, with Sony, then Bleem! getting the upper hand. Eventually Bleem! went to the wall, because they don't the pockets that Sony do.

Although one can understand's perspective, it doesn't actually make good business to go against them: Sony lose money on console sales, and make it on software sales. Bleem! was allowing them to sell software without incurring hardware costs - although it was also compatible with pirated software, so I guess that was Sony's chief concern.

5. john2303

john2303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    why don't you want an xbox?

i have owned both the ps2 & xbox and to be honest, the xbox wipes the floor with the PS2

But it is all about opinions and this is mine!!

6. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Reasons for me buying a PS2:

To continue playing my PSOne collection on it.

The PS2 controller is the best designed joypad ever.

There's certain PS2-only games that I would like to purchase.

Although X-Box is better for serious gamers with it's hard disk etc, I'm not a serious gamer and the unit would only get occational use.

My mate's got an X-Box and I always cuss him about owning it. I can't eat my hat and buy myself one after all that! ;)

7. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well you can emulate up to the dreamcast properly (with decent framerate, etc), and there are early emulators out for the ps2 and gc (i believe at the moment they only emulate the bios at about 5 fps).

Rich