Ps2 ..x Box..game Cube

neilo

Ex Member
Reaction score
oh dear oh dear oh dear , which one shall I buy ?

No no no no no no no.
NO!

This is a really bad question to ask on an internet forum. If you don't believe me/want to find out why then just do a search for any of the 3000 threads there have been on this subject this year. In fact one of them was still active this morning. Didn't you look?
No?
Well you were probably looking in the wrong forum because this is Video Games, not Gaming Hardware - which is where I'm going to send this thread.

Tbh I'd rather delete it, but I guess some people enjoy this kind of thing...

Get the abacus, you can count to ten on it.... i hear Nintendo are releasing Super Abacus World later this year, you will be able to count to 25 on it!!!!

Yes you heard me 25!!!

When's Super Abacus Sunshine out?

RDB :)

oh dear oh dear oh dear , which one shall I buy ?

what films should i buy next ???

you never see anyone asking this , so why ask about a games console ??

what games do you want to play , and what system are they on.

there is your answer.

My oh my, why can't people just give a straight answer to a simple enough question?!?

If you like Nintendo style games, then buy a gamecube. If you like to have the biggest choice of games available for current consoles, then buy a PS2. If you want a console with 1 good game, then get an X-Box

Surely that clears up any grey areas, no?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by bishman
My oh my, why can't people just give a straight answer to a simple enough question?!?

If you like Nintendo style games, then buy a gamecube. If you like to have the biggest choice of games available for current consoles, then buy a PS2. If you want a console with 1 good game, then get an X-Box

Surely that clears up any grey areas, no?:rolleyes:

One good game:rolleyes:

Nearly all the future games coming out on PS2 will be also appearing on X-box usually with improved multiplayer facilities due to the four controller ports it has instead of the PS2's two ports. So if you like gaming with your friends get the X-box.;)

When the PS2 originally came out with just the two ports and the 'Multitap' option I thought whoever at Sony decided to carry that bit over from the PS1 should have been given the boot.

In case anyone is wondering I own all three (X-box, PS2, Cube), it's the only way to be sure.
:D

Nearly all the future games coming out on PS2 will be also appearing on X-box usually with improved multiplayer facilities due to the four controller ports it has instead of the PS2's two ports. So if you like gaming with your friends get the X-box

Or Gamecube.

I'll be the first to admit that PS2 will get the big franchises first. But a lot from the big publishers will come out on all three formats. And they'll look better/have better multiplayer on GC/Xbox.

Timesplitters 2 and Burnout 2 both look fantastic on PS2 though, so maybe the dodgy reputation on image quality is finally fading, but I'll still get Timesplitters 2 on GC because it has four player without a stupid multitap.

For the price of a new console you could get a Dreamcast or a Saturn along with dozens of excellent games - I would seriously recommend that as an option.

As for the three current consoles - PS2 - lots of games but not that many actually very good - will start to look a little tired in the face of the competition

GC - will have its AAA titles coming but they didnt make the N64 a major hit - ninty are a great company though

XB - dont be put off by sales figures - ms will back it, best sound and graphics - some excellent games - needs more of them though - built in HDD and broadband make it a bargain

Originally posted by 2manyconsoles
For the price of a new console you could get a Dreamcast or a Saturn along with dozens of excellent games - I would seriously recommend that as an option.

As for the three current consoles - PS2 - lots of games but not that many actually very good - will start to look a little tired in the face of the competition

GC - will have its AAA titles coming but they didnt make the N64 a major hit - ninty are a great company though

XB - dont be put off by sales figures - ms will back it, best sound and graphics - some excellent games - needs more of them though - built in HDD and broadband make it a bargain

I do agree about the X-Box looking like a bargain at the current price point. Does it seem that way to the general public though, or do the price reductions make it look like a desperate ploy to boost sales?

I don't know how educated the general public (casual gamers) are - some may see it as a desperate attempt to help something thats flagging - others will look more closely and see what a bargain they are getting and realise its all in the name of competition that the price has dropped - they can afford to drop the price because they can absorb the loss and the more consoles they sell the more games they will sell which is where the moneys at.
If people look at the games that are on the way for the XB and the hardware you get + considered the amount of finance and work going into Xbox Live they would see that its a console with a great future and the price which has been driven down by competition is more of a great opportunity to be had than a desperate ploy.
There is no way the XB will fail - MS simply wouldnt let it happen so its a bargain for a console that has a great and well supported future (the acquisition or rare is an indicator) but of course the minds of the 'playstation generation' are clouded!

If people look at the games that are on the way for the XB and the hardware you get + considered the amount of finance and work going into Xbox Live they would see that its a console with a great future and the price which has been driven down by competition is more of a great opportunity to be had than a desperate ploy.
At last, someone who sees through all the fanboy BS and realises what a great machine the Xbox is.

Aw, if people realize that XBox is a great machine they might start buying them. I kinda like the mystique that goes with being the only person I know with an XBox. Oh well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. :D

If the software for a platform was all important, then Dreamcast would have sold more.

Originally posted by Azrikam
I kinda like the mystique that goes with being the only person I know with an XBox. Oh well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. :D

Forget the mystique, get a link cable and Halo and link up with a Halo owning friend. You know you want to.:devil:

Originally posted by bishman
If the software for a platform was all important, then Dreamcast would have sold more.

It would have sold enough if Sega had marketed it. Sega wanted to go where the money was and bottled out of the console manufacturing market altogether.:rolleyes:

I agree with Bish... The DC should have sold a lot more if sales were based on quality titles and it really was a damn shame that it didn't. It was because of the mainstream flop of the Sega Saturn that the DC didn't sell... Quite sad since the import scene was damn hot with loads of quality titles.

Not just the Saturn.
The Mega CD & the 32X followed by the Saturn was just too much. The Dreamcast was a great machine, but Sega had made too many mistakes of too big a magnitude to deserve to survive as a hardware manufacturer. I think I'm right in saying that even the Mega Drive wasn't all that much of a hit in Japan.

Do you think hardware sales are anything to do with something so important as games or ability?? More like Hype, Coolness and Popularity. Hence the PS2's success. Xbox is not cool enough, it's not popular enough (no funky ads on tv) and plus the tiny weeny ABSOLUTE HATRED most people have of anything MS.

PS2 owes a vast proportion of it's sales to the sheep factor. Was the DC a great machine with great games? Of course it was and that's all that matters right?

The consloe industry is dictated by morons who put there money with whatever their mate has or what they see splashed all over the media. Thanks to the morons we lost the DC.

I'm not saying the PS2 was a bad machine (I loved mine) just the Xbox is not a bad one.

I think the general public can be best summed up by the amount of sales the FIFA series gets, slight tweaks every year and it sells by the bucketload whilst people pass over far better games.

Similar with Simpsons games - the only good Simpsons game was the side scrolling beat em up at the arcades years ago - since then there has been a plethora of cash-ins - and they all still sell despite being rip off of other ideas (skate boarding, wrestling, kart racing). Similar could be said of the Star Wars franchise though that has given us some good amongst the bad.

Unfortunately the casual gamer buys what gets the marketing, the hype and what appears to be cool. Considering the amount of lacklustre games on PS2 the sales figures are shocking, there are so few must-have games.

I hope that when XB Live comes along it will be advertised and people will see there is a maching capable of great online gaming with stacks of power and lots of good games - whereas the PS2 owners will have to fork out for add-ons and still wont be playing games at the same standard.

Dreamcast was one of my favourite consoles - so many great games, Shenmue, Virtua Tennis, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur to name but a few - there is no justice in the gaming world else it would not have failed, although Sega's hardware choices in the past led to failures it was the hype of the PS2 and its 'ooooooh emotion engine' that stopped people buying a DC - people were lead to believe PS2 was going to be the most amazing thing ever to happen to gaming - the hype was unreal - built in DVD, connectability to other devices such as digital cameras, ability to download films via broadband to an HDD and the emotion engine which was meant to change our lives and the way we play games - but no one ever mentions any more!

PS2 is certainly not bad (though i lent mine to my girlfriends family about 4 months ago and really havent missed it) its just not as good as it was meant to be - almost all the good games are just sequels.

Mega Drive was not huge in Japan, Saturn had a very good following though - there are loads of great games that never made it as far as Europe.

I think its pretty sad people hating MS - they have done a lot to make the XB the best console ever - DD5.1 in game sound, HDD even making cables that stop you tripping over them and hurling the console to the ground. It's not like MS cuts down rainforests or funds animal testing, if people had something aganist huge companies with rich owners then they wouldnt buy from Sony - they have record companies, film companies and all sorts of electrical stuff.

one of the sotware flops of the dreamcast was the football games!
there wasn´t any good or even average football game!
And FIFA sells alot (even if winning eleven is far better!)!!!!!! REALLY alot!
i bought my dreamcast just because of virtua tennis! and i still play it! it was great be it lacked some major games like EA and gran turismo (sega's rivals weren't even close)

But i agree, DC was a great console, lacked some games but i loved it (enven if i only played 2 games: VT and soul calibour)

But now i believe ps2 is the best option cause it has all my favourite games: (virtua tennis, fifa, winning eleven, gran turismo, devil may cry, colin mcrae and possibly soul calibour) and that's what makes me love it!
I don't have one but i'm always trying to steal my brother's! I will by one.

even so there 2 things i don't like in it! Firstly only 2 game ports! (only to make us by a multitap!) Secondly virtua tennis sucks if compared to DC! (there's no Dokic! and the engine isn't the same as DC!! of course it's a conversion and i'll wait for a new title to hopelly see a better thing, but this one makes me not to sell by DC!)

Can't find a game on Xbox to make me buy it! it may come but now i can't buy that thing. (halo isn't a game for me - these type of games i only play on pc and they are: delta force and medal of honour!

Fact is that since we're on a forum we're basically the minority... The masses have basically had their vote on which console they like and the sales figures say it all. I'm still an advocate for multi-platform gaming and will remain so until I stop playing videogames full stop but there are many people out there (understandably) only buy one console and the choice for many is the PS2... Simply because its now established and has a huge library of games. The term "casual" and "hardcore" is usually mis-represented IMO so much so that it almost becomes a platform for others who think better.

I don't want to even get started on FIFA since I hate the series to death but can understand why its popular. Fact is, we all have different gaming tastes and that reflects in our videogame purchases. Sure enough having a thread to talk about alll consoles is a way to up ones amount of posts but (usually) the decision is down to the one thats actually paying for the said console. Its up to him or her to decide and if they're happy, they're happy. Otherwise if we keep on being bitter we'd just end up like nagging old git in a people's home, ever being the pessimist.

As for the "hate MS" campaign, that started back during Win95 and not just now... There are just as many fanboys that hate Sega/Nintendo/Sony so that really isn't a big excuse thesedays since there are as many fanboys on each camp.

At the end of the day though I don't give a damn who owns what, where and when... I guess its just me being bitter about reading the same debate that has been going on for well over two decades. I believe the focus shouldn't be on hardware anymore because theres only so much one can do... Instead the focus should shift to software. Thesedays though many games are so manufactured that it makes "PopStars" almost unique.

Am I bitter? Indeed I am but I'm not in a posistion to do anything about it yet, so instead I'll just grab my slippers and cardigan and wait for the nurse to come around untill I have something to show in demo form.

Peace.

Originally posted by DVDcake

Forget the mystique, get a link cable and Halo and link up with a Halo owning friend. You know you want to.:devil:

Don't have any Halo owning friends (at least not in this country). That's why I'm looking forward to XBox Live.

I get a kick out of people who used to make fun of me bacause I bought a Dreamcast and the system folded. Jokes on them, because "bang for your buck"-wise, the DC was the best system I ever owned. But, the sheep won't go see a good movie that did poorly in the box office, just the same way they won't buy a good console until it's got a huge userbase.

Like my view on movies, I've given up on trying to convert the masses. Anybody who doesn't like a good game (or system, or movie) doesn't deserve to play it (or watch it). :) By refusing to acknowledge the advantages of a system just because it's sold by MS, they are only limiting their own console experience.

Some guys who trash the XBox seem to think that they can bring MS to the ground by not buying their new console. Somehow, I don't think that's gonna happen. :)

Don't get me wrong. I hate MS as a corporation as much as the next man. But their console is aces.

At last othe rpeople that agree with me that people only still buy the PS2 due to following the sheep :)

I had said on another thread that this was recently demonstrated to me when my nephew had been laughing and joking for months how crap the Xbox was and that his PS2 was better. Then on hols the xbox was the only console to get played with 6 games, his PS2 with 20 games didnt even get taken out of the box - go figure.

Spike

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom